PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Heartbreaking Pats Losses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats1989

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Although l am totally thrilled with the Patriots present and future, l enjoy looking back. Patriots have a history of winning, unfortunately some Heartbreaking lossesare mixed in. What are the most Heartbreaking Patriots losses for you?

Me:

1) SB 42. Number one by a mile. Doesn't matter if we win five SB's consecutively, that loss will always hurt. Should've wiped the floor with the Giants. Everyone remembers Tyree, yet Samuel dropped a clinching int before that.

2) 2006 AFC championship. Blowing g a 17-0 lead and Lossing to Manning. At the time l thought it couldn't get worse....one year later I'd be proven wrong.

3) 1976 playoffs vs Raiders. Wasn't alive for it, yet it's obvious one outrageous penalty cost us a shot at a SB.

4) SB 46. Brady dragged a team that had okay receivers ( Gronk hurt remember) with worst D to a rematch with Giants. Were a Welker dropped pass away from potential win.

5). Struggled with this one. I wanted to put 2009, 2010, 2012 losses to Ravens, Jets, Ravens respectively. However those losses were more disappointing & maddening than Heartbreaking. Last year's championship game maybe?

Easy.

1. Super Bowl 42
2. Super Bowl 46
3. Jets 2010 Divisional Playoffs
4. Colts AFCCG 2006

We were clearly the better team in those top three. Losing to the Colts in 2006 might not have hurt as badly if we hadn't jumped to a 21-3 lead in that game.

I have a PTSD when the word Giants is mentioned in any context. I thought I could rewatch those two games after SB 49, but I literally felt nauseous as soon as i did. I wouldn't be that upset with the second loss had it been against any other team, we didn't really have a great team but after 2007, Brady's injury, 3 disappointing playoff exits, to finally be able to avenge that cruel loss... and then lose in the same heartbreaking fashion?

I thank Malcolm Butler every day for that miraculous interception. It definitely exorcised some demons and replaced what were my go to images of the Pats, the helmet catch and Gronk almost catching the Hail Mary.

1) SB 42. Number one by a mile. Doesn't matter if we win five SB's consecutively, that loss will always hurt. Should've wiped the floor with the Giants. Everyone remembers Tyree, yet Samuel dropped a clinching int before that.
I wouldn't blame Samuel for that INT. It would've been a very hard catch. On that last Giants drive just so much went wrong. So much. They had a 4th and 1 on the Giants side of the field and couldn't stop Jacobs from picking up the first. On the Tyree-catch they had Manning sacked, and then he miraculously escaped (with the help of some bad holding by his offensive line). And on the touchdown pass they ran an all-out blitz leaving Ellis Hobbs alone on Plaxico Burress. Harrison tried to change the play and provide help, but Seau chose to go through with the original play.

2) 2006 AFC championship. Blowing g a 17-0 lead and Lossing to Manning. At the time l thought it couldn't get worse....one year later I'd be proven wrong.
It was 21-3. And late in the 2nd quarter the Pats were driving and picked up a third down conversion that would've taken them into the redzone (or close to it). That conversation got erased by an OPI on Troy Brown. A sack later they had to punt and the comeback was on.

Easy.

1. Super Bowl 42
2. Super Bowl 46
3. Jets 2010 Divisional Playoffs
4. Colts AFCCG 2006

We were clearly the better team in those top three. Losing to the Colts in 2006 might not have hurt as badly if we hadn't jumped to a 21-3 lead in that game.

I would just switch 3 and 4. Your #4 we had a 21-3 lead going into the second half.. and we fell short in the end. We would have killed the Bears in the Super Bowl.. giving us 5 Super Bowls.

Then again I believe that was the year the chargers were 14-2 and looked unbeatable.. and we scratched and clawed are way through the chargers. I am still surprised we won that game.

I would just switch 3 and 4. Your #4 we had a 21-3 lead going into the second half.. and we fell short in the end. We would have killed the Bears in the Super Bowl.. giving us 5 Super Bowls.
Little correction, it was 21-6 at halftime. The Colts picked up a FG at the end of the quarter. The whole game turned in the last 4 minutes of the first half. Instead of having a 1st and 10 from the Colts 19, an OPI, an Illegal Contact and a sack turned what should've been a prime opportunity to put the game out of reach into a punt. Manning came back and marched down the field for a FG to make it 21-6. If they had gotten that 1st down (don't know if the OPI against Troy Brown was legit or not) it would've been game over for the Colts. Even if the offense doesn't score a TD, they'd have bled the clock dry and gone into halftime with a 24-3 lead. Even with all the problems on defense I'm convinced that a 21 point halftime lead would've been insurmountable.

honorable mention - loss to jets and rex in the 2010 playoffs. i still don't now why we lost. i don't know why we lost to friggin jets!!

All playoff losses are horrible. This thread makes me grumpy. It might have bad juju.

I didn't put SB 20 because we had zero chance against that team. SB 31 anyone?

honorable mention - loss to jets and rex in the 2010 playoffs. i still don't now why we lost. i don't know why we lost to friggin jets!!

Yea very weird, we go 14-2 and Brady is the NFL MVP and we lose the divisional to a team that we slapped 40+ on in the last match up WTF

Little correction, it was 21-6 at halftime. The Colts picked up a FG at the end of the quarter. The whole game turned in the last 4 minutes of the first half. Instead of having a 1st and 10 from the Colts 19, an OPI, an Illegal Contact and a sack turned what should've been a prime opportunity to put the game out of reach into a punt. Manning came back and marched down the field for a FG to make it 21-6. If they had gotten that 1st down (don't know if the OPI against Troy Brown was legit or not) it would've been game over for the Colts. Even if the offense doesn't score a TD, they'd have bled the clock dry and gone into halftime with a 24-3 lead. Even with all the problems on defense I'm convinced that a 21 point halftime lead would've been insurmountable.
I'm not so sure about that. Peyton could get white hot and erase a three TD lead back in his prime. I vaguely recall him doing so in 2003 in the goal line stand game.

The guy was just that good where he could wipe away a seemingly comfortable lead, no problem. He and Brady were/are two guys who I wouldn't count out of it even down by three or four TD's, unless we had a great defense.

I actually rank the 2006 AFCCG above Superbowl 42 because while the stakes were higher in the second (Superbowl perfect season best team in history) at least we were legitimately outplayed and deserved to lose. The first half against paymeaton they completely dominated and put the game away...until the refs and super heating the dome against a flu ridden team allowed the clods back into it. That game hurts worse because at least the giants are an organization you can respect even if you hate them. The Colts and manning are weak whiny *****es who should never have won a SB

1. Super Bowl 42. Worst sports loss of my life. Topped Aaron Boone. **** New York.

2. Super Bowl 46. Seriously, them again??? So glad Coughlin's gone. You did my heart good by beating Notre Dame as HC of BC, but you're dead to me now, ya red faced prick. **** him and the Giants.

3. 2015 season AFCCG. The most angry I've ever been about a non-SB defeat. The only Pats playoff game that I ever stopped watching with plenty of time left in the 4th quarter. It was a frustrating game, culminating a frustrating stretch that started with Dion Lewis' injury and continued with being robbed of the regular season win at Denver, having a potential undefeated season ruined by the damn Broncos, and then being deprived of Brady playing in his backyard in the landmark 50th SB. Didn't help that that CG could've been played in Foxboro had the Pats not mailed it in the final month of the season. Just an extremely blood-boiling experience. **** the Broncos.

4. 2006 season AFC CG. I wasn't angry at the end of it, just defeated. Just staring at my TV in disbelief of what had happened. It's a cruel bit of irony that all these defeats happen at the hands of teams I despise and not teams like the Texans or Chiefs. **** the Colts.

5. 2010 season Divisional vs NYJ. Felt like that had the making of a special season and that defeat, to those jerks, betrayed my instincts. The bad guys won, and it sucked. **** the Jets.

6. Super Bowl 31. Sure, in a way we were happy to be there. Green Bay was the heavy favorite. That having been said, it was a fun season. We were even leading after the first quarter! It was my first taste of a SB with having a dog in the fight, and first really big defeat. **** Brett Favre.

7. 2012 season AFC CG. **** the Ravens.

8. 2005 season Divisional vs Denver. God Bless Ben Watson. That was a touchback. **** Jeff Triplette, and **** the Broncos again for good measure.

9. 2015 Week 12 defeat to Broncos. As mentioned earlier. Recency bias, but can't remember a regular season loss that pissed me off more. Seriously, **** that team!

10. 2009 season Wild Card vs Baltimore. Terrible season by Pats standards, and embarrassing home defeat to a hated conference rival. **** the Ratbirds again.

Honestly, that 2010 afc divisional loss to the jets was one of the most painful experiences as a fan I have felt. That season we were destined to win it all, we went on perhaps the most dominant stretch of football of Brady's career after week 6. Brady threw for 36 TD and only 4 INT on his way to the NFL MvP, we finished 14-2 a franchise record...

Most importantly the 4 teams that made it to the final four...we went 4-1 against them during the regular season including 45-3 and 36-7 thrashings, and a 39-26 bashing at Heinz field. We had a brutal schedule and went through it like a hot knife through butter.

The 2010 season had a 03-04 feel to it....and then we lost badly to our most hated rival. That loss is the reason Rex Ryan still has a job. LT to this day loves to rub that one in, that was his Super Bowl. He wouldn't shut up about it on "a football life".

That loss to this day remains the ONLY TIME in Belichick/Brady history that we lost our first playoff game after obtaining a first round bye.

Ouch..

Springfield%20Angry%20Mob.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back