PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Heart says D-Day, head says Waterloo

Status
Not open for further replies.
The truth is the winner of this game will almost certainly win the Superbowl.

Wow. I'm not quite so certain of that. The Ravens or the Colts may have something to say about that. In particular, the Ravens are built for tournament play.

I'm as surprised as anyone that "the Warrior" lasted a full season at QB for them. But, he did...and he addresses the big missing ingrediant in the Ravens' recipe.

This game reminds me of the 2004 AFC Championship against Pittsburgh. The Steelers were an excellent team, it would take the Patriots best effort to win and then dominated. San Diego is a tougher matchup but I think they can do it, my vision was that the Ghost hits a 42 yarder to give us a 10 pint lead with 3 minutes left. We hang on to a 3 point victory!

Go Pats!

Oh come on. You can hope better than that.

How about handing them their butts, having Indy beat the Ravens, and then beating Indy on.... drumroll... a Gostkowski 51-yarder (well out of Adam's range.)

That would be good. yeah.

PFnV

Some thoughts on this titanic matchup...

Tomlinson faced 3 defenses ranked in the top 12 against the run all season (according to footballoutsiders.com). In those 3 games, week 4 vs. Baltimore (98 yards on 26 carries, 3.8 YPC), week 5 vs. Pittsburgh (36 yds on 13 carries, 2.8 YPC), and week 17 vs. Arizona (66 yards on 16 carries, 4.1 YPC before leaving with a minor injury), his production was mediocre. The Pats have the #10 run defense in the NFL. Of concern is the fact the Pats' run D has declined since Junior Seau's injury vs. Chicago. There are mitigating circumstances: relearning run fits with Vrabel and Banta-Cain in the starting line up, the injury to Wilfork vs. Miami, and several fluke plays. However, the Pats have developed a habit of giving up big plays on the ground down the stretch (Jones-Drew's fluke, Sammy Morris run after Wilfork's injury and the game decided, Travis Henry's scamper with Marquise Hill in the line-up). Still, with Wilfork back in the line-up, Banta Cain and Vrabel acclimated, and the team focusing on the run, the Pats are closer to a top 5 D than what they have shown recently.

Interestingly, rb Michael Turner destroys top run Defenses, when given an opportunity. In the same games in which LT struggled, Turner rushed for 46 yards on 7 carries vs. Baltimore, 56 yards on 11 carries vs. Pitt, 58 yards on 11 carries vs. Arizona.

Turner may be a bigger threat to the Pats in this game than Tomlinson. He runs harder, breaks more tackles, and punishes defenders. However, because Tomlinson is the MVP, and jealous of his carries in so important a playoff game, Schottenheimer will want to stick with the "best rb of all-time" (so Marty claims). Therefore, Turner will probably be stuck on the bench.

Rivers is better than people think. In 8 games against top 15 pass defenses, he had an 88.6 passer rating with a 2.4% interception rate, numbers which suggest he may be an ideal playoff qb, since avoiding INTs is the single most important trait for Qbs come playoff time. In 6 games against top 10 pass defenses, he had an 87.8 passer rating, with a 2.8% INT rate, showing great consistency and mistake free play. In 4 games against pass defenses inside the top 10, he had a 74.9 passer rating, and a 2.1% INT rate. Mediocre, but not disastrous. The Patriots' pass defense is ranked #7.

The Chargers have very few weaknesses. They have the #1 running game in the league, the #1 O-line, the #2 passing game, the #3 special teams squad, a top 5 TE, a top 5 rb, the best pass rushing defense. The WR duo of Parker and McCardell is effective if unspectacular. 2nd year Wr Vincent Jackson is beginning to show the huge talent that got him drafted in the 2nd rd in 2005, despite playing for a small college (the Pats were scouting him closely). However... the Chargers' run D is surprisingly mediocre, as is the pass D, other than the pass rush.

The Chargers are going to come out stronger, faster, and more violent than the Pats on both sides of the ball to begin this game. Early on they are going to stop the run, it will take time before their inconsistency against the run begins to show. Their early physical/emotional advantage is the natural result of an extra week of rest and home-field. Fortunately, the SD homefield edge is nothing like the Denver homefield edge. The Pats must weather the early storm, counterpunch and stay in the game until the energy levels even out.

I believe the Pats will contain, but not stop Tomlinson. I believe Rivers is a gamer and will not lose the game (a la Roehtlesberger 2004) as some expect. I believe Gates will damage the Pats in the red zone. Chris Baker of the Jets, who played very well last week, is only a poor man's Gates. Vincent Jackson at 6'5'' will make some plays down field against the Pats' smaller corners. We cannot simply expect Marty to lose this game with in-game decision making. To count on that is whistling past the graveyard. Marty will probably turn this game over to his coordinators under the advice of protege Bill Cowher, who learned his lesson last year after repeated post-season spankings by BB.

The Pats have 4 intangible advantages:

(1) Compared to Brady, Rivers is a hyper, super-emotional hot-head. Sometimes this can come across as charismatic, and other times as BIZARRE. His emotional instability can throw him into deep funks, but his character usually rescues him at some point, so that even in his bad games he can recover to make big throws at crunch time. If Rivers goes into such a funk early, the Pats must take advantage, because he will not stay that way for a full 60 minutes. When Rivers gets on a role, he is unstoppable.

(2) The Chargers have 9 Pro-Bowlers, 5 All-Pros, and an MVP/Offensive Player of the Year. Post season honors breed complacency and a premature sense of accomplishment among players, the enemy of championship play.

3) The Chargers have not faced a team as physical or as disciplined in the trenches as the Pats in 3 months. They may be shocked at first when they are unable to dominate as easily as they have come to expect. The lack of confidence may creep into the coaching staff, especially if Rivers begins the game in a hyper emotional funk. The Pats may then run out to an early lead, and neutralize the Charger run game to some extent. Still, the Chargers have a history of big come-backs so an early deficit will not doom the Chargers.

(4) Schottenheimer often infuses his team with his own anxiety... his job is on the line in this game, as is his legacy. A tight coach often makes for a tight team...

Prediction: For the 1st time this year I am struggling to pick the Pats in this game. My heart says 27-24 Pats. My wallet is trying to disagree with me, but I'm ignoring it. Sometimes it's best to go down with the ship!!!

Not a "heart" nor a "head" but a truly great "gut-level" analysis of the basis for the high anxiety flowing like a Waterloo river through the Pats Kingdom whose time of ending has come:) :

1) Be prepared to see both LT and Turner in the backfield at the same time.

2) Considered the best Defensive Front 7 at the start of the season with or without Foley, this starting unit has only played 3 games together as a starting unit due to injuries and Merriman's suspension. All 7 will be on the field together come Sunday including Castillo who will seal the running lanes opposing running backs have found in his absence.

3) If for no other game than this single game this Sunday, there will be an undeniable pronounced home-field advantage as Bolts Fans have finally learned the value of it as proved by our first 8-0 regular season home record.

4) Marty has indeed turned all games over to his coordinators since the Baltimore loss as evidenced by the fact that he no longer wears headphones on the sidelines.

In terms of intangible advantages:

1) Other than the "BIZZARE" part, what you said about Rivers equally applies to Brady and so Rivers emotional intensity is not necessarily a bad thing.

2) As for complacency, the Chargers have been there and done that and did not like the consequences of it as it contributed to the loss to the Jets in the 2004 play-offs. Instead, because of similar honors received in 2004, they now know such honors in the end mean nothing unless they are accompanied by great success and for that matter ultimate success in the play-offs. The Pats have set the standard and all Bolts players are focused on meeting that standard.

3) Other than perhaps the first game of the season, what is truly scary is that the Bolts have yet to play a complete game in all phases dominating from start to finish and yet they have managed to win 14 games in many different ways and all inevitably with all 3 phases making critical contributions as needed. Look for a complete game Sunday.

4) And of course there is already a Bolts Fans contingency plan in place to hide Marty's headphones or remove Marty himself at the first glimpse of MartyBall tightening.

The bottom-line is that the Bolts know exactly what they face and consequently they have no other expectations than that of making the great effort across the board required to beat the New England Patriots.

The same can be said of your team and thus.....

Whether Bolts Fans or Pats Fans Expect Nothing Less!

Last edited:
Great thread.

To me the key seems to be not if we can withstand the Chargers initial rush, but will our counterattack be running on all cylinders. Bear with me I'm going to sound like NEM for a second, but this will be a test for McDaniels and Brady. We need to hit their secondary over and over again. I'm expecting to see a lot of five receivers, no backs, etc. from us. Even some of the more obnoxious Chargers fans will admit that they give up a lot of yards back there. I don't think screens or reverses will work against their fast players. As for the running game, you always have to keep them honest, but I don't think we should feel obliged to continue wasting downs trying to get something going if they're struggling to keep up with Brady and the passing game. No one wants to see a QB end the day with fifty passes thrown, but it may be necessary in this matchup.

As for our D gameplan, I think I agree with the most of you - no Biltzburg style D - do what we do best... stopping the run. It's cliched out, but make the young QB beat you. Still do your best to confuse the **** out of him, but who do you want to eliminate as a threat first - Rivers or Tomlinson? Tomlinson.

Everyone keeps mentioning that the Chargers have a weak secondary. They have given up exactly 9 yards more passing for the entire season than the Patriots have (3203 vs 3212 yards).

Everyone keeps mentioning that the Chargers have a weak secondary. They have given up exactly 9 yards more passing for the entire season than the Patriots have (3203 vs 3212 yards).

total yards are a poor measure of a secondary's prowess. SD ranks #11 in the NFL in defensive passer rating, at 76.6, a better measure. The Pats rank #2, at 66.1 (Baltimore is #1 at 63.4).

I take heart in the fact that this week several people (who literaly hate the Patriots) have come up to me to say that this is exactly the kind of game the Pats usually win. On the road, against a far superior opponent, can't possibly win type of situation.

This game still has me a little uneasy, but I have that feeling that we are going to pull out a great victory.

Good analysis...

A few things,

Isn't our run D ranked 5th overall? Not 10th. Either way, anyone who has watched this team all year knows they are pretty stout vs the run. They shutdown Jacksonvilles running game besides that one fluke run and same for Tennessees besides a few runs, two excellent teams on the ground. I really don't see them losing this game because LT just dominates. Antonio Gates, who I think is probably the best TE ever when its all said and done, scares me a lot more because of his ability to exploit our safeties, I'm guessing we double him and leave 1 on 1 matchups on the outside possibly.

I don't know if its just me talking myself into it, but the more the week goes on the more confident I feel because of our QB/coach edge and ability to play strength vs strength with their MVP RB. If we go down, it just seems like its probably going to be to a team that exploits our secondary or shuts down our receivers, either of which could happen in this game also.

Lastly, the whole "no respect" thing doesn't really work this week. A lot of the pundits and national media are saying "lookout for the Patriots" and I heard Boomer on the radio this morning picking them to win.

In addition, we need to get out to a lead and make SD one dimensional.

I disagree that SD can be made one-dimensional. Whatever our lead, why wouldn't it be to their advantage to keep using Tomlinson?

Unfortunately, Pony Express, I find myself agreeing with you. I really, really want to be wrong but I see San Diego as a better Football team at this point. As you said, they appear to have no real weaknesses.
Oh, I would need to change the title of the thread, though, given my nationality. Perhaps Bunker Hill would be more appropriate? :eek:

Unfortunately, Pony Express, I find myself agreeing with you. I really, really want to be wrong but I see San Diego as a better Football team at this point. As you said, they appear to have no real weaknesses.
Oh, I would need to change the title of the thread, though, given my nationality. Perhaps Bunker Hill would be more appropriate? :eek:

Shelve the self-doubt as universally Pats Fans are not known for exhibiting any at anytime.:)

This is not to say that it will not apply in full force after Sunday's game.;)

Last edited:
Re: Pats vs. SD: Heart says D-Day, head says Waterloo

I have the feeling I did in early 2002 before the AFC title game at Pittsburgh.

Me too, only my feeling then and now was that we were up against a scary opponent. I'm very nervous for this game, much as I was for the Pitt game in 2001/2002. Hopefully the Patriots come through for me just like they did back then. Lord knows I'll be putting my emotional energy into it from here in south Florida.. Hopefully they can recieve the mojos from this distance. (longgg way to San Diego)

Shelve the self-doubt as universally Pats Fans are not known for exhibiting any at anytime.:)

This is not to say that it will not apply in full force after Sunday's game.;)

:D. You might want to know that I had given up on ever seeing the Pats win a Superbowl some time just after the 1996 Green Bay superbowl and I was just hoping for respectability when we played the Rams.... (Now, there's an interesting topic of conversation with Bolts fans: 1990s Superbowls!)
Oh, and the Pats ARE capable of winning, but your lot are looking very good this year.

:eat3: My sentiments exactly!
First I have to say, excellent post. I also have to say, this is one where we get to be the "Patriots faithful," because "faith" is believing when you have scant or no supporting evidence. We can tweak this way, tweak that way, cite postseason records, Belichick vs. MVPs, the way we handled Faulk in SB 36, whatever.... but we all remember what BB said after that game (paraphrasing from memory here...) "Can you believe we won with that bunch?"

Well, it's a better bunch than won 36, and the Chargers are not as good a bunch as we beat. LT is a shade better than Faulk at his peak, and the Chargers' aerial attack is nowhere near the Rams', circa 2001.

That said, it's the final comment that makes the most sense. Here we are with most stats pointing to a loss, yet we don't feel like it's time to go home yet. There's nothing to do but say "yeah well, we still think we win this one." If a team has to be better than us by all the stats, this one is built in such a way that we can win it (as opposed to, say, the Broncs, who give us fits even if they are otherwise mediocre.)

We'll know Sunday night. I hope we know something we like knowing.

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes