PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Health and Injury Designations 3 Weeks Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
1) What are the reports on Johnson, Flowers and Roberts?

2) What is the likelihood of any of the 4 PUP players coming back soon?

3) Are there any injured players who are not likely to be valuable soon, and might be designated IR-DTR?

1.) We don't know

2.) We don't Know

3.) We don't know

I don't mean to sound like an ass, but the guys in #1 were injured 3 days ago and no report on even the TYPE of injury has been released, let alone severity.

Do we even know Wendell, Fletcher, or Chr. Jones injuries? LaFell is a foot injury and he said he's doing well recently. Not exactly a lot of information. I've read nothing to suggest that a single one of these players regular season should not start in week 1.

The answer to 3 could be as easy as every name in your first question, or at least a pair. Johnson and Roberts have flashed talent but are both raw. Only Flowers appears NFL ready from a technical standpoint. But both Johnson and Roberts could easily be readshirted as many minor injury but raw players are early in the season (as far as IR Recall, I believe that will be saved for only an injured vet who isn't hurt yet (and hopefully won't be) and wouldn't be used on a rookie not named Malcom Brown barring a major breakout from another rookie).

I guess that you've read every possible media communications on these matters. I have not. That's why I asked.

1.) We don't know

2.) We don't Know

3.) We don't know

I don't mean to sound like an ass, but the guys in #1 were injured 3 days ago and no report on even the TYPE of injury has been released, let alone severity.

Do we even know Wendell, Fletcher, or Chr. Jones injuries? LaFell is a foot injury and he said he's doing well recently. Not exactly a lot of information. I've read nothing to suggest that a single one of these players regular season should not start in week 1.

The answer to 3 could be as easy as every name in your first question, or at least a pair. Johnson and Roberts have flashed talent but are both raw. Only Flowers appears NFL ready from a technical standpoint. But both Johnson and Roberts could easily be readshirted as many minor injury but raw players are early in the season (as far as IR Recall, I believe that will be saved for only an injured vet who isn't hurt yet (and hopefully won't be) and wouldn't be used on a rookie not named Malcom Brown barring a major breakout from another rookie).

Every year they "leave" a few guys on "PUP" Its your reserve list after week 6 to repopulate new injuries etc.

Since when has the media had anything to communicate on Pats injuries?
Last I remember is a totally BOGUS communication from Curran on Brady's recovery.

1) What are the reports on Johnson, Flowers and Roberts?

http://www.nepatriotslife.com/2015/08/injury-report-rookies-roberts-and.html

[....]

Three players of note all ran into injury trouble in their own way - rookies Darryl Roberts and Trey Flowers and third-year man Rufus Johnson. For Roberts, the rookie cornerback left the game late in the first quarter and did not return to the action. According to Mark Daniels of the Providence Journal, Roberts injured his hand/wrist and already had x-rays taken to assess the damage, but the extent of the injury is unknown. New England's seventh-round pick this year, Roberts started the game as the right corner opposite Malcolm Butler and has played rather well through the first weeks of training camp.

Trey Flowers, who made one of the plays of the night by beating Green Bay tackle David Bakhtiari clean off the line with a powerful burst before dropping Aaron Rodgers for the sack, also left late in the first quarter due to an undisclosed injury. After the play, Flowers fell to the turf and was accompanied by the Patriots training staff. The 21-year-old DLineman was able to walk off under his own power to the sideline but went straight to the locker room and did not return.

As for Rufus Johnson, who also had a strong game in the 36 snaps he played, the linebacker left the game in the fourth quarter after his right leg rolled up with lineman Geneo Grissom. Johnson figures to be no worse for the wear, telling CSNNE's Tom Curran that the knock isn't expected to keep him out of action moving forward. One other note from Daniels, he reported that both Roberts and Flowers were not seen in the locker room following the game.

Every year they "leave" a few guys on "PUP" Its your reserve list after week 6 to repopulate new injuries etc.

There are only 4 player eligible for PUP. We could also put one on the short-term IR list. So, the maximum is 5 players. We certainly don't want Lafell or Wendell out if we can help it.

There are only 4 player eligible for PUP. We could also put one on the short-term IR list. So, the maximum is 5 players. We certainly don't want Lafell or Wendell out if we can help it.

No but then again why even risk it with a foot. WR and feet are always a problem. Its 5 games and it gives the team to hold on to a development guy. This is assuming Dobson/JE will actually be able to play.

No but then again why even risk it with a foot. WR and feet are always a problem. Its 5 games and it gives the team to hold on to a development guy. This is assuming Dobson/JE will actually be able to play.

Risk what. If LaFell will be ready for Game 5, I don't want him on the PUP list.

Risk what. If LaFell will be ready for Game 5, I don't want him on the PUP list.

Risk his foot not quite being ready. I want him out there too and if he is medically cleared then he is cleared, but diddnt they go though something similar with Dobson with his foot? Granted one might be a toe and minor (Lafell) and Dobson was a broken foot. If Lafell is just a precautionary measure to make sure he is good for week 1, then cool.

Regardless, I also have no issue with them playing it safe (if necessary) for 5 games to give Lafell 6 extra weeks to get better and at the same time give a young guy a chance to see what he has.

1.) We don't know
2.) We don't Know
3.) We don't know

I don't mean to sound like an ass, but...

One of the regular annual contributions mgteich makes to the Board is to anticipate roster issues and give us all a chance to talk about them. This post is of that nature. There isn't an expectation of an immediate definitive answer, but rather an opportunity to begin the speculation, and to carry it on over the next few weeks.

Re Flowers:

'When ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss asked Belichick if the injury was serious, the Pats coach simply said, "You've got the inside track on all that stuff, Mike. You probably know more than I do."'

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2015/08/bill_belichick_trey_flowers_ge.html

Here's how Reiss reported it:

'Not surprisingly, Belichick wasn't dishing on the extent of Flowers' injury.

"You have the inside track on that stuff," Belichick quipped to a reporter. "You probably know more than I do."'

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england...rookie-de-trey-flowers-makes-early-impression

I love Reiss -- even when he's in the story he doesn't make himself the story!

One of the regular annual contributions mgteich makes to the Board is to anticipate roster issues and give us all a chance to talk about them. This post is of that nature. There isn't an expectation of an immediate definitive answer, but rather an opportunity to begin the speculation, and to carry it on over the next few weeks.

Which is exactly what I did. I gave the correct answer then speculated. Thanks for the explanation?

They won't redshirt Roberts if he's not really hurt - the guy may well contribute a lot this year. Looks like he has all the tools.

And I'm hoping Flowers is okay, because he looked pretty damned good to my (admittedly uneducated) eye in both setting the edge and rushing the passer.

soooo...... are Flowers and Roberts gonna play against the Panthers next week?

soooo...... are Flowers and Roberts gonna play against the Panthers next week?

Listen to those above. There is no reason to worry. It's only the 3rd preseason game.

This team has a history of not rushing players during preseason. Rightfully so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents