PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Having Receiver Does Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We certainly can still win this game, but Childress, Brown and Caldwell are not enough. We could have them replaced by Branch, Gabriel and Jackson next week.

Brady looks a little lost out there. This is playing right into Branch's hands. If I was his agent Id be making some calls to the Patriots front office first thing tomorrow morning. I hope to see Branch in uniform next week and Im sure Brady feels the same way.

Won't matter if Brady can't even look downfield.

DillNisWillN28 said:
Brady looks a little lost out there. This is playing right into Branch's hands. If I was his agent Id be making some calls to the Patriots front office first thing tomorrow morning. I hope to see Branch in uniform next week and Im sure Brady feels the same way.
The holdout can kiss my *****, it's horrible OL play that's the problem.

It can only help. I'm not giving up on this game just yet. If it turns out that we don't win this game, it doesn't mean the end of the season. For Gabriel, Jackson & maybe Branch, it'll just be the beginning. Hell, a lot of the favorites are struggling, Tampa Bay is down 17-0, Carolina is losing 13-3, Jets are beating Tenessee 13-0, Denver was down 12-0 (It's 12-7, it should have been 20-0, but the Rams stunk in the red zone). It's quite possible we took Buffalo lightly, considering our offensive success in the preseason. Just shows preseason doesn't mean squat. Going back to the receivers, if Gabriel and Jackson's hammy's don't allow them to play next week, I suggest we look at some WR's floating out there like Charles Rogers, Darius Watts, and someone I was impressed with on the Eagles, Darnerian McCants.

mgteich said:
We certainly can still win this game, but Childress, Brown and Caldwell are not enough. We could have them replaced by Branch, Gabriel and Jackson next week.

BB better have an answer for this....sending out a team of Brown, Childress and Caldwell as your starters IS NOT GOING TO CUT IT!!!!! Obviously we have heavy damage (injury wise) at WR......and Branch will sit out ALL Year....so....Gabriel should have been activated even if for the old down and out route......they BB/McDaniel are also doing a piss poor job of utilizing the TE sets.......sad....lets hope it gets better

Of course this better not be our answer to our WR issue this year. But the poor O-line play is another issue that needs to be addressed, pronto!

mgteich said:

You could have them all...what good is it with the push their D-Line is getting. I think this game is simply the O-Line needs a few games to get the timing set...which is no problem for Dante.

The difference is not the OL line. We had exactly zero threats as outside wide receivers. Almost all passes were over the middle. We did have ONE outside threat: Faulk.

Last edited:
Don't worry Chad Jackson and D Gabriel to the rescue! Its only going to get better!

Opening day gitters...

mgteich said:
The difference is not the OL line. We had exactly zero threats as outside receivers.

THe difference was VERY much the OL. In the first half Brady had all of 2 seconds to throw the ball. And when he did he had their D line in his face. In the 2nd half the Oline started blocking better and look at how well Brady did.

Not opening jitters.

We faced a really bad Buffalos secondary, and no one was getting open. We got by because of key Buffalo injuries during the game. But a win is a win, and hopefully we will have a stronger team next week.

mgteich said:
Not opening jitters.

We faced a really bad Buffalos secondary, and no one was getting open. We got by because of key Buffalo injuries during the game. But a win is a win, and hopefully we will have a stronger team next week.

I've been in the Deion Branch sucks club for a while now, but damn did we miss him today. Nobody can deny how bad we need him.

That said, we can't cave. If he's going to be a selfish baby and hurt the team, he has that power. Good for him. It just makes him an a**hole.

Hopefully Jackson and Gabriel can step up next week b/c nobody except the TEs and Faulk were getting open.

mgteich said:
The difference is not the OL line. We had exactly zero threats as outside wide receivers. Almost all passes were over the middle. We did have ONE outside threat: Faulk.

The diffrerence was the Oline for the first half plus. Light played like a guy who has been away from the game for a year. Nobody had time to get open because they were either on Brady or free to elevate a paw and tip his pass within seconds.

Last edited:
I'm not saying we are not any better with Branch because of course that's not true. But I have a hard time believing that our woeful first half play would have been magically cured by Deion Branch.

I can't believe how quickly people are panicing. The Bills have a very talented secondary. Jackson and Gabriel didn't play. The passing game often takes time to develop. It's the first game. The receivers need more time to get on the same page with Brady. The OL didn't pass block well in the first half. Calm down.

stcjones said:
BB better have an answer for this....sending out a team of Brown, Childress and Caldwell as your starters IS NOT GOING TO CUT IT!!!!!

I'm pretty sure he knows this. That's why he has Deion Branch, Chad Jackson and Doug Gabriel under contract, no?

This is like saying that BB better have an answer for having to play Brown at CB last year. How many teams could start the season without their (arguably) three biggest WR threats and field a good receiver lineup?

desi-patsfan said:
THe difference was VERY much the OL. In the first half Brady had all of 2 seconds to throw the ball. And when he did he had their D line in his face. In the 2nd half the Oline started blocking better and look at how well Brady did.
Wow, if it wasn't for your post I'd feel like I was alone against the world in this thread! I'm wondering which alien replaced mgtiech for him to say the O-line had nothing to do with the poor passing game, I could have sworn the Beefalo D-line had at least 4 passes defensed, at least as many hurries, two sacks/forced fumbles, plus another sack, nice to know Tommy would have done much better with a different WR corps...sheesh.

mgteich said:

I'm with you - let's not delude ourselves - Brown and Caldwell led the charge for WRs with 2 catches apiece.

The ball was spread nicely as you expected it would, but Watson led all recievers with 3 catches.

Our OL is supposed to be excellent and though they showed flashes of brilliance, generally they were not

The receiving game was average to below average today

Box_O_Rocks said:
Wow, if it wasn't for your post I'd feel like I was alone against the world in this thread! I'm wondering which alien replaced mgtiech for him to say the O-line had nothing to do with the poor passing game, I could have sworn the Beefalo D-line had at least 4 passes defensed, at least as many hurries, two sacks/forced fumbles, plus another sack, nice to know Tommy would have done much better with a different WR corps...sheesh.

Yea if the WR were constantly dropping passes and not going all out, ok i would say the WR's sucked. They never even had a chance to do anything in the first half. The Bills speed was very impressive, they even read all the screens really well. What like 3 of those screen passes hit D-linemen in the chest. Clearly the O-line playing better was a huge cog in the turnaround.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents