PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Have we gotten to used to winning?

Yes, we are spoiled by the past, and haunted by it. Everyone expects all-pro's at every position. 31 point wins every game. Every tough win, we played horrible. Every tough loss, well.... there's a line on the Tobin. People compare a rookie to Moss? Complain about our 6th DB. People complain about basically everything. That is what makes the board. Everyone has a different opinion. And people being people, they like to enforce the opinion they have over different (wrong) opinions you might have. My only concern is when it's all done and the winning stops and we eventually fall back to earth, will we be sorry we whined the whole time during the golden years.

The legitimate concern and frustration that I do detect out here and that I have to admit that I share is that we have one of the greatest QB's ever to play in the NFL, who is still performing at the top of his form towards the end of a storied career. However, for a combination of reasons that have been the subject of multiple threads and about which there can be reasonable disagreement in some regards, Tom Brady is not at this time surrounded with anything close to the kind of receiving talent or experience that could give him the best possible chance to excel. We can argue about the reasons for that, but it's a legitimate worry and it's understandable, IMO, when it gives rise to a lot of what sounds like "whining."
That is the crux of the matter.

Being used to winning is a good thing. Sniveling every time the Pats don't play well is another.

When was the last time that Brady didn't gel with receivers early and did much later in the season? Has it happened in the last decade?

I too EXPECT our passing game to look better in the playoff run, hopefully because of bette health from Gronkowksi, Amendola, Vereen and Washington.

And yes, I am foolish enough to expect great things from Dobson or Thompson this year; however, it has been a long time since this happened.

The Patriots passing game will not remain stagnant. The WRs are getting open, they just have to get on the same page.

Game two was light years ahead of game one, so that's the reason I'm not as concerned. As I've mentioned there were quite a few close plays that had they been made, we'd be talking about things quite differently (the diving missed TD to Thompkins, the deep ball Dobson couldn't quite come up with, etc.) The disconnect is radically smaller than it was in week one, so all I'm saying is I'd like to see how it plays out through a couple more games before I rush to judgement. If you bail on them both now and don't give them more opportunity to grow, the long term implications are far worse, especially if you need them down the road due to an injury with someone else. We've already been down that road too many times, and I'd rather finally have a complete group that can play if called upon.

I agree on the rookie wide receivers. They've got skills and they're getting separation which is why Brady is so frustrated with the drops or the lack of being ready to make the play when the ball arrives.

The Pats need Gronkowski and Sudfeld on the field together with Edelman in the slot and the kids out wide. It will take a huge amount of pressure off of Dobson, Thompkins and Boyce, allowing them to focus on their chances and not feel like the game rests on their shoulders.

I look forward to week 10 when Vereen comes back fresh from his wrist procedure. It's not like a knee or ankle, he'll be fast and ready to step right into the passing game as another option.

When was the last time that Brady didn't gel with receivers early and did much later in the season? Has it happened in the last decade?

I too EXPECT our passing game to look better in the playoff run, hopefully because of bette health from Gronkowksi, Amendola, Vereen and Washington.

And yes, I am foolish enough to expect great things from Dobson or Thompson this year; however, it has been a long time since this happened.

He never had to work with rookie receivers like this before. In the past he could look to vet receivers, even in 2006, he had vet receivers new to the team he could lean on. These are rookies. It is different.

That is the crux of the matter.

If I had to summarize my frustrations with the organization's recent moves, it's that I don't think that they treat Brady as a historically unique asset. We as fans think in terms of the "Brady Window" but the organization's moves don't reflect that mentality. If a franchise's goal is to maximize the number of championships won, then the correct play is to mortgage the future during Brady's healthy existence. I don't think any fans would be upset if they went all Tannenbaum and made huge aggressive moves during these last few years.

If I had to summarize my frustrations with the organization's recent moves, it's that I don't think that they treat Brady as a historically unique asset. We as fans think in terms of the "Brady Window" but the organization's moves don't reflect that mentality. If a franchise's goal is to maximize the number of championships won, then the correct play is to mortgage the future during Brady's healthy existence. I don't think any fans would be upset if they went all Tannenbaum and made huge aggressive moves during these last few years.
Based upon the current roster, the lack of quality offensive depth is quite alarming:

Blount, LeGarrette
Bolden, Brandon
Develin, James
Washington, Leon
Hoomanawanui, Michael
Mulligan, Matt
Barker, Chris

Yeah we're spoiled fans, but the fans aren't only the ones that are spoiled. Even our QB is a bit spoiled. He has three rings, formerly dated an actress only to now have to come home every night to the highest paid model in their simple and cozy house, has three beautiful kids, get free boots, and candy AND even he is still complaining. So as fans we're only following the guy who has lead us to the buffet line, and it doesn't look like he wants to sit anytime soon.

Based upon the current roster, the lack of quality offensive depth is quite alarming:

Blount, LeGarrette
Bolden, Brandon
Develin, James
Washington, Leon
Hoomanawanui, Michael
Mulligan, Matt
Barker, Chris

Not good. Being 2-0 is great but we're going to see what this team and its fanbase is really made of when it goes up against the ATL-Cincy-NO gauntlet. It will tell us all we need to know regarding where this team stands. The fan reactions will be likewise.

Yes, we are spoiled by the past, and haunted by it. Everyone expects all-pro's at every position. 31 point wins every game. Every tough win, we played horrible. Every tough loss, well.... there's a line on the Tobin. People compare a rookie to Moss? Complain about our 6th DB. People complain about basically everything. That is what makes the board. Everyone has a different opinion. And people being people, they like to enforce the opinion they have over different (wrong) opinions you might have. My only concern is when it's all done and the winning stops and we eventually fall back to earth, will we be sorry we whined the whole time during the golden years.

At least you realize it, being a fan for over 40 years (yeah I'm an old bastard) I've been enjoying the last decade immensely and have a hard time understanding the whining and *****ing that goes on here all the time.
I don't buy the Brady window because he might be here another 6-7 years and they're trying to be competitive every year. I wouldn't want to mortgage the future to try and go all in for 1-2 years, mainly because going all in doesn't guarantee you're going to win the Super Bowl and if you don't you could dig a hole that's a ***** to climb out from, fans would lose interest and the Krafts would have a hell of a time getting fans back in the seat. The current model is great for fans and great for business, though I wouldn't mind losing some fair weather bandwagon jumpers along the way.

At least you realize it, being a fan for over 40 years (yeah I'm an old bastard) I've been enjoying the last decade immensely and have a hard time understanding the whining and *****ing that goes on here all the time.
I don't buy the Brady window because he might be here another 6-7 years and they're trying to be competitive every year. I wouldn't want to mortgage the future to try and go all in for 1-2 years, mainly because going all in doesn't guarantee you're going to win the Super Bowl and if you don't you could dig a hole that's a ***** to climb out from, fans would lose interest and the Krafts would have a hell of a time getting fans back in the seat. The current model is great for fans and great for business, though I wouldn't mind losing some fair weather bandwagon jumpers along the way.

Good post. I just popped in because i still don't get the idea. Forgive me, but unless you only became a fan in 2001, you sure know how hard it is to win in this league and treasure every season because we're always competitive. We just had two hard fought wins under the worst circumstances, which will always mean more to me than some 30 point blowout. Ugly wins are money in the bank to offset some bad luck another time.

And this window stuff is just pure BS, because it so often doesn't work and the price is often mediocrity for a long time. If you watch the game for a while you realize every season can come down to a few bounces, so it's the teams that are always in contention that are champions, not always in their best talent seasons either. Look at us in 2001, or Pitt with a horrible performance that was somehow good enough to win because they were competitive for a long period of time.

Of all the major sports, I think football is the least predictable because each game is more important and there are always injuries. A couple of freak plays early could turn a close win to a blow out loss. You can't win if you don't buy a ticket and we've been in the playoffs, or missed by a hair every year since Brady's first season. Strange year so far, but injuries, player losses early sometimes lead to gelling late.

It must suck to be rooting for that big name draft pick because you know your team is going nowhere and that's all you've got. Not on this team.

I remember a day when if we were 2-0 and both games wins in the division with the potential emergence of so many young players people would be ecstatic.

No one is mentioning the weather and the fact the Jets are a defensive orientated team hat always play games like this.

Lets look at the positive which no one has done. 2-0 in the division with a long break and another winnable game coming up. The emergence of Dobson he can get open, Edelman, Amendola, Vereen, a better defense. Gronk coming back soon.

Yes we may loose some games from injury. Every team does, this is the NFL.

Remember when the Giants won the second time against us. That team was every bit of average the first half of the year.

The question is can we get healthy by the half way point to make a run.

Man the whininng is annoying. Anyone here Tanguay go off after the Jets game and Zolak trying to say what I just said but Tanguay being so loud he couldn't speak? That seems to be the attitude of most around New England. A lot fo arm chair quaterbacks waiting for the inevitable fall.
Winning is fine, it's the winning with BCS style points that Patriots fans have become accustomed to. I don't mind how the Patriots win as long as they win. That said, I do have a preference toward the Patriots firing in all 3 facets of the game, but a win is a win is a win in my book.

Winning is something that should never be taken for granted. Ever.

I have not witnessed a Superbowl win by the patriots, been following the team since the 2009 season.

I have not witnessed a Superbowl win by the patriots, been following the team since the 2009 season.

Not sure what your point is, but besides the teams that have never been in a SB, I waited 24 years to see the Pats in one, 12 years to see another loss, before we won one.

It's not a birthright. Sure beats rooting for Detroit.

The title of the thread says it all.

So you are used to being in the playoffs and/or Super Bowl every year, or you feel deprived because you haven't experienced a winner in your time as a fan?

Like i say, I don't know what your point is, seriously.

Yes, that. I have no point to make. Jesus loves you.

There are two ways of looking at this:

Glass half-full: They've won two divisional games, one on the road, with key guys injured and a bunch of rookies playing key roles. If they can win these games, with this group of kids now, imagine how good they'll be once their injured guys come back and the kids start to develop. They could be a machine.

Glass half-empty: Who knows if the kids will ever really get it, and we can't have confidence that the injured guys will come back and stay healthy. Meanwhile, we BARELY beat two very bad teams with rookie QBs; how in the world will we be able to compete with the good teams?

The truth is probably somewhere in-between, but obviously I'm hoping that it's much closer to the glass-half-full scenario.

There are two ways of looking at this:

Glass half-full: They've won two divisional games, one on the road, with key guys injured and a bunch of rookies playing key roles. If they can win these games, with this group of kids now, imagine how good they'll be once their injured guys come back and the kids start to develop. They could be a machine.

Glass half-empty: Who knows if the kids will ever really get it, and we can't have confidence that the injured guys will come back and stay healthy. Meanwhile, we BARELY beat two very bad teams with rookie QBs; how in the world will we be able to compete with the good teams?

The truth is probably somewhere in-between, but obviously I'm hoping that it's much closer to the glass-half-full scenario.

I have to disagree. For one, no season is guaranteed. We can see now how injuries can pile up.

If you were starting a project of work hoping your ideas/project would be successful, seeing good and bad possibilities would you...

be happy your plan looked good, but you got stiffed for money your first two weeks or

Have a good plan, but problems, but get paid in full and put those checks in the bank.

Life is uncertain, football more so. Cash those checks.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back