PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hating Woods: Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Hating Woods Why?

damn it why must you bring that up.

:(

I really don't think he is even that good at special teams, the only memory I have of Woods last year was him running into the kicker in Miami giving them a crucial 1st down. :mad:

I look at him as a wasted roster spot, he's not good enough at special teams to be a special teams only player, he is horrible at OLB & I rather have an OLB with some upside on the roster than him.

NFL Game Center: New England Patriots at Miami Dolphins - 2009 Week 13

Except that it didn't give Miami a 1st down. It was off-setting penalties because Miami had an illegal man downfield as well.

Woods has been one of the best special teams players on this team since the Pats added him to the Pro Roster. I don't get you people who claim otherwise.

I haven't read any posts on here hating Al Woods. ;)

Woods CAN and DOES set the edge just fine. In fact, he was better at setting the edge than Burgess or Thomas.

People forget that Woods has very limited time playing OLB in game situations.
Woods is a fantastic special teamer.

Many people "hate" on Woods because of the fumble recovery during the Giants SB in which Woods clearly had the ball and was down by contact, yet the referees allowed a pig pile and Ahmad Bradshaw was able to squirm in and get the ball during the scrum.

Saying he sets the edge better than Burgess does not mean he is good at it.

I don't care about the Giants game, my eyes tell me that he is not starter OLB quality and is a liabilty while in the game. Every time he has been given an opportunity to proove he can play, he has failed.

I don't care how much Woods makes, I just wish the Patriots would get somebody else to back up at the OLB.

It was like when Izzo played MLB for the Patriots sometimes, he was just awful at it

Last edited:

NFL Game Center: New England Patriots at Miami Dolphins - 2009 Week 13

Except that it didn't give Miami a 1st down. It was off-setting penalties because Miami had an illegal man downfield as well.

Woods has been one of the best special teams players on this team since the Pats added him to the Pro Roster. I don't get you people who claim otherwise.

So Woods got bailed out by a miami penalty, it was still a boneheaded play. I don't hate Woods its more like he annoys me, the only time I ever notice the guy is when he is doing something stupid ( running into the kicker, giving away the fumble recovery, getting abused when injury forces him to play on D ).

Its not like he is some special teams demon, he's been on the team 3 ( 4? ) years & I never once said "wow nice play by Woods". Compare him to the CB the Pats signed mid way through last year ( his name escapes me atm ), that guy was absolutely SICK on special teams.

Woods CAN and DOES set the edge just fine. In fact, he was better at setting the edge than Burgess or Thomas.

People forget that Woods has very limited time playing OLB in game situations. Woods is a fantastic special teamer.

Many people "hate" on Woods because of the fumble recovery during the Giants SB in which Woods clearly had the ball and was down by contact, yet the referees allowed a pig pile and Ahmad Bradshaw was able to squirm in and get the ball during the scrum.

he started 8 games....

Haven't seen all that much hate for Woods here. In fact, a year ago at this time many on this board were touting him as Vrabel's replacement, worried that a 2nd round tender wouldn't scare off McDaniels, Pioli, or Mangini and that they were going to swoop in with a poison pill deal and take this exciting 3-4 OLB prospect off the Pats hands.

Now everyone just seems to view him as what he is - a ST guy who if he is ever playing OLB for you means you have big problems at that spot.

Last edited:

Haven't seen all that much hate for Woods here.
You haven't been looking at the right threads. Woods and the LB's in general have been talked about for the last 5 years.
In fact, a year ago at this time many on this board were touting him as Vrabel's replacement
Those are the people that didn't get it, still don't get it and will never get it. They argued with people like myself until the cows came home and only one person admitted they were wrong (that I know of).
worried that a 2nd round tender wouldn't scare off McDaniels, Pioli, or Mangini and that they were going to swoop in with a poison pill deal and take this exciting 3-4 OLB prospect off the Pats hands.
When your 27 years old, you are no longer a prospect. In fact, you're far beyond that.
Now everyone just seems to view him as what he is - a ST guy who if he is ever playing OLB for you means you have big problems at that spot.
I'll say this again, he's a horrible outside LB who you don't want to play for an entire game. If he came in for a few plays, that's fine. But you don't want playing anymore than that. Someone wrote on an earlier post that he started 8 games this season? That was news to me. Had I not read that I wouldn't have ever noticed. The facts are, he's invisible as an outside LB and the Pats needed an upgrade for many years. Anybody that is still fine with Woods as starter at OLB needs to get their head examined.

Last edited:

Those are the people that didn't get it, still don't get it and will never get it. They argued with people like myself until the cows came home and only one person admitted they were wrong (that I know of).

I don't disagree at all. My only point is there were a whole lot of those people 12 months ago on this board. If anything he has spent much of his Pats career overrated by much of the fan base that posts here.

When your 27 years old, you are no longer a prospect. In fact, you're far beyond that.

I personally didn't see him as a prospect or a guy that anyone would want for a 2nd but others did. The thread below has some examples:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/213480-rfas-reiss-breaks-down.html

Last edited:

I was one of the people arguing for Woods' potential last year, because I thought that he did an intriguingly good job pre-injury in 2008. You can only give a guy so many shots, though, before it becomes clear that he just doesn't have what you're looking for. I have no problem with the Pats keeping him around as a ST guy, but it's pretty clear at this point that he isn't a LB.

Woods is a great role-player for the Patriots, but I think the reason people 'hate' him is very simple: the fumble non-recovery.

Millions of people watched on TV as Pierre Woods landed cleanly on a fumbled ball at a crucial moment in SB42. Then he let Ahmad Bradshaw take the ball away, because he wanted it more.

No one will ever really know what happened in that pile, but we all know that we saw Woods land on it with no one around him, and even though the officials should have blown the play dead immediately, they didn't.

So, since Woods doesn't see the field often outside of special teams, that is most peoples' lasting memory of him: failing to secure a fumble that was obviously his and could have meant victory in the Super Bowl.

It sucks, but it is what it is.

Got it in one.

Yep. We're indoctrinated by the Tedy Bruschi "I wanted it more" quote after he took a ball from Dominic Rhodes.

Last edited:
The only reason he's on the team is because he hugged BB in the first game after Spygate!

:)

I never understood the hate this guy gets, every thread on some defence ,cap or some bust draft pick like crable ends up being a free for all on Woods.

I never understood that. he is like the top 2 player in spl teams every year,comes in in spot duty incase of injury or someone needs a couple of snap rest.

But every year for the last 3 he gets put through the grinder .He avg make 1% of the cap for the last few years and never understood this.

I see people want to pay him like a scrub but want him to contribute like a probowler or something. He is spl team guy and that is all.spl teams is a part of NFL so i do not see an issue with someone making avg 1% of the cap over 4-5 yrs to be a spl teamer.

maybe i am wrong. i think the pats do not even spend 10 million a year on spl team players so i am always confused as to make this unit weaker to save a buck.

He IS a scrub and should be paid like one. He sucks. He's below a JAG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST