PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hating Woods: Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

satz

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I never understood the hate this guy gets, every thread on some defence ,cap or some bust draft pick like crable ends up being a free for all on Woods.

I never understood that. he is like the top 2 player in spl teams every year,comes in in spot duty incase of injury or someone needs a couple of snap rest.

But every year for the last 3 he gets put through the grinder .He avg make 1% of the cap for the last few years and never understood this.

I see people want to pay him like a scrub but want him to contribute like a probowler or something. He is spl team guy and that is all.spl teams is a part of NFL so i do not see an issue with someone making avg 1% of the cap over 4-5 yrs to be a spl teamer.

maybe i am wrong. i think the pats do not even spend 10 million a year on spl team players so i am always confused as to make this unit weaker to save a buck.

Last edited:
Re: Hating Woods Why?

I don't think anyone hates woods, but he stinks at OLB, and the pats need good OLB's

Last edited:

I don't think anyone hates woods, but he stinks at OLB, and the pats need good OLB's

So .... he is paid like a spl teamer so why is judged as a OLB.

list some of the OLB who you make 2 million a year and are good.[not in the rookie contract ]

So .... he is paid like a spl teamer so why is judged as a OLB.

list some of the OLB who you make 2 million a year and are good.[not in the rookie contract ]

Well that's why he's getting paid 2 mil, because he's really not good as an OLB.

Well that's why he's getting paid 2 mil, because he's really not good as an OLB.

My point exactly but the guys gets gashed for being a bad olb why ? do you think he plays OLB without the coach knowing or telling him to.

My point exactly but the guys gets gashed for being a bad olb why ? do you think he plays OLB without the coach knowing or telling him to.

because he's a bad OLB.......its really pretty simple....

BTW, 2M is too much for a special teamer.....Larry Izzo never made that much

Look, I don't think anybody hates Woods, we just think he is a crappy OLB and have seen him thrust into that role too many times and fail at it. We had some hopes that he would develop into a decent player maybe even a starter, but that never materialized.

So, his failed potential is a little annoying too.

He is an excellent ST player, but that is really all he is.

He can't set the edge, he can't rush the passer and he can't cover.

He plays OLB because there is nobody else and that is on the coaching staff.

Woods is a great role-player for the Patriots, but I think the reason people 'hate' him is very simple: the fumble non-recovery.

Millions of people watched on TV as Pierre Woods landed cleanly on a fumbled ball at a crucial moment in SB42. Then he let Ahmad Bradshaw take the ball away, because he wanted it more.

No one will ever really know what happened in that pile, but we all know that we saw Woods land on it with no one around him, and even though the officials should have blown the play dead immediately, they didn't.

So, since Woods doesn't see the field often outside of special teams, that is most peoples' lasting memory of him: failing to secure a fumble that was obviously his and could have meant victory in the Super Bowl.

It sucks, but it is what it is.

Woods is a great role-player for the Patriots, but I think the reason people 'hate' him is very simple: the fumble non-recovery.

Millions of people watched on TV as Pierre Woods landed cleanly on a fumbled ball at a crucial moment in SB42. Then he let Ahmad Bradshaw take the ball away, because he wanted it more.

No one will ever really know what happened in that pile, but we all know that we saw Woods land on it with no one around him, and even though the officials should have blown the play dead immediately, they didn't.

So, since Woods doesn't see the field often outside of special teams, that is most peoples' lasting memory of him: failing to secure a fumble that was obviously his and could have meant victory in the Super Bowl.

that ain't it.......if it were, people would hate on rodney harrison for not breaking up the tyree play which he should have........it ain't about the one play...its more about given every opportunity to succeed and not doing so.....52 games, 8 starts, 1 sack.......at this point, it does not matter that he was a UDFA.......he's not good enough to help the defense at a position where the defense needs the most help.......pretty much equates to a wasted roster spot

that ain't it.......if it were, people would hate on rodney harrison for not breaking up the tyree play which he should have........it ain't about the one play...its more about given every opportunity to succeed and not doing so.....52 games, 8 starts, 1 sack.......at this point, it does not matter that he was a UDFA.......he's not good enough to help the defense at a position where the defense needs the most help.......pretty much equates to a wasted roster spot

Very poor comparison. Rodney contributed so many big plays to this team, many of them in his two Super Bowls. Not breaking up the flukiest pass in NFL history is something that can be easily forgiven by most fans.

But Pierre Woods has always had trouble cracking the lineup and in his one moment to really shine on national television, essentially screwed it up.

There were no great plays to look back on like there were with Rodney, so like I said, that is the memory that sticks.

Very poor comparison. Rodney contributed so many big plays to this team, many of them in his two Super Bowls. Not breaking up the flukiest pass in NFL history is something that can be easily forgiven by most fans.

But Pierre Woods has always had trouble cracking the lineup and in his one moment to really shine on national television, essentially screwed it up.

There were no great plays to look back on like there were with Rodney, so like I said, that is the memory that sticks.

I never thought about the woods play in the SB until you brought it up.....I just don't look at it that way...another example would be gaffney screwing the pooch on an easy TD grab in 2008 against the colts that would have won the game......and been the difference for getting the pats into the playoffs......I am sure there are more.......

I jsut see a guy who was given a chance and failed.....simple as that....if the pats knew what they had in woods, they likely would have nver let TBC go the first time.....face it......woods is just a lousy OLB and that's really what it boils down to

That weak effort on the critical, historical fumble is a memory that will last with Pats fans a lifetime, that will never go away. How he let that happen at that point in that game is a scar that will always be there. It was inexcusable. To be honest, I honestly thought BB was going to cut his sorry arse right after that. They teach you in Pop Warner, you play until the effin whistle blows.................Oh well

There is no way this guy is worth 2M, you can find 25 guys in college right now that you can draft in rounds 6 and 7 that can come in and do the same damn thing on ST as Woods at 1/10 of the cost. Cut is arse, every time I see his number I think of the fumble and what could have been............

Last edited:

I really don't think he is even that good at special teams, the only memory I have of Woods last year was him running into the kicker in Miami giving them a crucial 1st down. :mad:

I look at him as a wasted roster spot, he's not good enough at special teams to be a special teams only player, he is horrible at OLB & I rather have an OLB with some upside on the roster than him.

I jsut see a guy who was given a chance and failed.....simple as that...

That doesn't make any sense, though.

Not every player on the team is going to start, and not every player on the team is going to be a blue chip.

Regardless of your opinions on the quality of Woods as a player, the fact remains that he was an UDFA who has managed to stick with an NFL team run by a great defensive mind for 3, going on 4 seasons now. I'm sure there are those, like you, who believe that shouldn't be the case, but it is, and the decision was made by people who have much more intimate knowledge of Woods' abilities as a player and his contributions to the team.

I don't have any animosity towards Woods the way it seems some here do, for whatever reasons, but if any of them make a little sense to me, it would be the fumble recovery.

Any other reason to dislike the guy or not be happy with whatever little he has brought to this team makes no sense to me. No team survives without roleplayers and backups like Woods, whether you like him or not, or believe that he could be upgraded. But if Belichick feels like he still deserves a roster spot, who are we to disagree?

I mean I know there are those who will, but they only make themselves look dumber by pretending to understand why the low-to-middle end of the roster exists, and how best to stock it.

Last edited:

I really don't think he is even that good at special teams, the only memory I have of Woods last year was him running into the kicker in Miami giving them a crucial 1st down. :mad:

I look at him as a wasted roster spot, he's not good enough at special teams to be a special teams only player, he is horrible at OLB & I rather have an OLB with some upside on the roster than him.

Alot of us feel the way you do, yet our Coach who makes all the right decisions and never screws up somehow feels differently about ole Pierre, he feels like Woods is worthy of 2M on the payroll and a roster spot. I do the eye test, I haven't missed a Patriots snap in years and my eyes tell me that #58 doesn't belong on an NFL roster. Game changing, critical, historical fumble "non recovery" aside............

not even close. That is not the reason why he is disliked. As a OLB he does not bring anything significant or helpful to that position.

who ever said 2 million for mainly a S-Teamer is too much $$$ is right

Maybe 1% of Patriots fans know how much money Woods makes. I'm referring to the average Patriots' fan who knows what he sees on TV.

Furthermore, it makes even less sense to dislike an UDFA because he makes 3x the Vet minimum as a backup/STer.

Chad Jackson, Laurence Maroney, Adalius Thomas, Ben Watson... those are guys it makes sense to 'dislike' (if that's the word you want to use) based on the money they earn(ed) and the expectations attached to their contributions to the team.

Please find me one post from 2006 with any expectations for Pierre Woods career.

Do you really dislike an UDFA because he's not a starting caliber linebacker for the NEP?

Really?

Maybe 1% of Patriots fans know how much money Woods makes. I'm referring to the average Patriots' fan who knows what he sees on TV.

Furthermore, it makes even less sense to dislike an UDFA because he makes 3x the Vet minimum as a backup/STer.

Chad Jackson, Laurence Maroney, Adalius Thomas, Ben Watson... those are guys it makes sense to 'dislike' (if that's the word you want to use) based on the money they earn(ed) and the expectations attached to their contributions to the team.

Please find me one post from 2006 with any expectations for Pierre Woods career.

Do you really dislike an UDFA because he's not a starting caliber linebacker for the NEP?

Really?

Do you think he's worth 2M a year ? And if so why ?

backups like Woods, whether you like him or not, or believe that he could be upgraded. But if Belichick feels like he still deserves a roster spot, who are we to disagree?

I mean I know there are those who will, but they only make themselves look dumber by pretending to understand why the low-to-middle end of the roster exists, and how best to stock it.

Woods is sadly a primary LB on the depthchart of last.

Take a look at this link and plz tell me we need severe upgrades at LB position.

Ugly list of LB's IMO

New England Patriots Depth Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes