PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Has the NFL caught up with Belichick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
His defenses don't fool anyone and over the past couple years has looked like swiss cheese. I mean, you look at all the great coaches and it always seems the game passes them by at some point. We need a Rob Ryan or some other DC like that to shore up this defense.

Bad move friend, you must be new here!

It's unjustifiable to accuse BB when he has players who don't do what they're taught to do, and the players he plug in don't really have the experience, and on top of that we only lost by 3, without key players (Chung, Hernandez, Haynesworth, etc.).

People are confusing Belichick the defensive mind with Belichick the talent evaluator. You don't know if his defensive schemes have slipped until there is a good defense out there executing it correctly. Unfortunately, they do not have that right now. Just like they did not last year. You cannot "fool" anybody with a defense that is always giving up yards and not getting off of the field. Giving up 91 yards on penalties is a detriment to the game plan as well. Same stupidity as last year.

No, this ultra soft pass D has been going on too long to blame it on talent. Coached properly you could take a D of all 2nd stringers and do a better job than the Pats D defending the pass right now. It's not like there is no talent on the D. Have you considered that maybe they regularly appear out of position because BB is not instructing them to go to the right spot?

BB can't tackle for them - and there was some awful tackling today - but teams that tackle poorly are usually poorly coached. Think about it - how times have you watched other teams play poor D and swing and miss on tackles and think that their coach has lost control of his team or isn't pulling the right switches to get his message through? Both amount to the same thing. And now it's happening in NE before our very eyes.

Last edited:
It's unjustifiable to accuse BB when he has players who don't do what they're taught to do, and the players he plug in don't really have the experience, and on top of that we only lost by 3, without key players (Chung, Hernandez, Haynesworth, etc.).

How do you know what they are taught to do? What I can see is that the wide receivers and defensive backs that we draft are not getting better. McCourty was superb last year and now he has gotten worse. Meriweather steadily got worse until he was cut. I don't know a single drafted WR that has even gotten to the level to hold a job. This all points to the coaching. I don't know how much BB himself is responsible for this but the coaching staff in general has done poorly on these fronts.

Ultimately, it's just time for BB to give up the reigns. We need a REAL defensive coordinator so he can do other things, AND get a legit OC. BOB just ain't cuttin' it.

Both the offense and defense is stale as ****.

The question is stupid and ignorant.

The NFL caught up with Don Shula. It caught up with Joe Gibbs. And Tom Landry. They could no longer build winning teams. BB went 14-2 last year.

There is a legitamte question - one that many here don't want to entertain -about the defensive personnel he has employed the last several years. It has been subpar and played subpar defense.

The nfl did not make Belichick fire out two top coverage safeties with no replacements.

tru dat,. I still can't get over this safety fiasco...

Troll check list:

Questionable Screen Name: "PatriotSpy" √

Only appears after Patriots lose, but never after a victory: √

Only has negative things to say: √

Over reacts to a negative event or loss: √

His defenses don't fool anyone and over the past couple years has looked like swiss cheese. I mean, you look at all the great coaches and it always seems the game passes them by at some point. We need a Rob Ryan or some other DC like that to shore up this defense.

What defense has Rob Ryan coached that did well?
You should look up your facts. The Patriot defense has been top 3 over BBs tenure. Even last year after the first few games they were top 5 in points allowed. The games where we allow meaningless yards and stats are irrelevant, but days like today happen to every team. The bigger issue is why did BB abandon what has worked for him forever?

Ultimately, it's just time for BB to give up the reigns. We need a REAL defensive coordinator so he can do other things, AND get a legit OC. BOB just ain't cuttin' it.

Both the offense and defense is stale as ****.

Brady threw for more yards in the first 3 games than any QB ever has, and we have the 2nd longest streak in NFL history of scoring over 30 points. What is stale about the offense?

How do you know what they are taught to do? What I can see is that the wide receivers and defensive backs that we draft are not getting better. McCourty was superb last year and now he has gotten worse. Meriweather steadily got worse until he was cut. I don't know a single drafted WR that has even gotten to the level to hold a job. This all points to the coaching. I don't know how much BB himself is responsible for this but the coaching staff in general has done poorly on these fronts.

We've been the most successful franchise in the NFL for a decade. Clearly the coaching staff has done a great job.

We've been the most successful franchise in the NFL for a decade. Clearly the coaching staff has done a great job.

Brady. 10 chars. Before you jump on me, I was talking specifically about WRs and DBs.

Last edited:

Classic bandwagon fans. Click on Patsfans.com after a loss and weep. Yes, Rob Ryan or some other DC will do a better job on defense then Bill Belichick.....................

I think the biggest problem is that 1) we don't have the personnel to cover effectively and that 2) "coverage" isn't what it used to be, Ty Law couldnt play in today's NFL with the rules/officiating the way it is.

If you give a good QB enough time he will get the ball downfield, you can't cover forever, you NEED PRESSURE!

People will talk a up a storm about how 'it's now a passing league, blah, blah,, blah...' and will also talk about how 'the QB position has never been as critical as it is now', that tells me that putting the QB on his back is more important than ever.

If you can't get a damn pass-rush then it's simply a battle of which offense can make the fewest mistakes, I don't want to rely on my enemy to make an error which I might capitalize on, pressuring the damn QB has the potential to 1) mess with his body, which makes him less effective, and to 2) mess with his mind.

I watched in horror how the Giant's pass rush EVISERATED what was the best passing offense the league had ever seen, I felt similarly when the Lion's D-line gang-raped Brady and shockingly we never got into an offensive groove.

Yes, the secondary sucks right now and I thought getting rid of Sanders was stupid, but we also can't get any damn pressure.

Since a majority of my evaluations have been spot on the previous two weeks, I'll throw it all out there.

Today's game was of course partly Brady's fault.....Turnovers will lose games...but he did put us in positions to tie or win in the end. Gronkowski, Welker, Branch, Woodhead, BJGE and even Ocho WERE out there today. He had tools. 31 points justifies that. Did the Bills have the ammo to match us there?

Remember, their D had to stop Tom effin Brady and the weapons above.

We had to stop Ryan Fitzpatrick, Freddie Jackson.......and........?

But we have to judge the team as what they are. A #1 offense in the league and a #32 defense.

I have no clue what our Defensive philosophy is at this point. We use a bunch of different alignments and looks...and stop nothing.

Wilfork is our best defensive player and a great DL. But he is not in a
playmakers position.

Mayo, is in a playmakers position, but doesn't make enough big plays.

Chung is in a playmakers position, but other than us throwing his name about he's been slightly above average to me.

I can't say anything more on McCourty that I or others haven't already said.

Bodden looks relatively ineffective and Arrington, other than todays picks has been shaky.

Other than Fletcher and Pryor, the rest of the fronst seven has played like what they are...used parts.

These comparisons are being made against other top tier teams.

A few years of bad drafting and questionable personnel moves are to blame.

But regardless of these things....I would never imagine the team would have such defensive issues with the head coach we have.

When Brady retires, I'm confident we will be having many discussions on how many more championships he could have had if not for a few years of subpar defenses.

Is the defense the root of the problem or the fact that the Patriots play vanilla schemes and haven't disguised any of their coverages this season?

I'm feeling very frustrated now, but I'm definitely voting Brady on the importance of Brady vs Belichick debate.

Wow, that is huge. This kind of commentary directly after the 'NFL life' special showed what a fun loving guy he is.

He is too aggressive on offense for his own good and not aggressive enough on defense. That was a brutal call late in the 2nd half to pass the ball in the flat, run the ball get into field goal position and go into the half 24-7. Game, set, match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes