PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Has ESPN lost it's mind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that just proves that QBR doesn't do what it says it does (measure clutch performances).

Last edited:
Can someone check out stats for Brady vs. Romo - Vs. the Dallas Defense?

How good was Sanchez performance vs. Brady's when you compare them to the same defense like the Jets faced in week 1?

a team of multiple concussion survivors/x-players probably put that QBR together. ESPN's 100% credible, it's everyone else that's lost their minds.

Let me make it real simple for you all.

There are two QB's you have to pick for your team....Sanchez and Brady.

Which one are you going to pick.

I used to watch ESPN's NFL Countdown and that was all of BSPN I could handle, however nowadays the NFL Network's pre-game is much better leaving me literally with absolutely no reason to watch this network.

None

Sanchez....Brady.....which one are you gonna pick

Uh...well...first off...Jetfan1(Ray Ray 19) has already answered this question...sort of...when I asked HIM the exact same thing...his answer

Brady is in the twilight of his career....Sanchez is ..young and his "ceiling" is "unlimited!!!!!!!!!!!"...

so...obviously...pathetic Twilight Brady pales in comparison to "Ceiling Unlimited!!!!!" Sanchez

Uh...well...first off...Jetfan1(Ray Ray 19) has already answered this question...sort of...when I asked HIM the exact same thing...his answer

Brady is in the twilight of his career....Sanchez is ..young and his "ceiling" is "unlimited!!!!!!!!!!!"...

so...obviously...pathetic Twilight Brady pales in comparison to "Ceiling Unlimited!!!!!" Sanchez

On Bspn's First Take,today,Kordell Stewart put the Pats 2nd in the AFC to the Ravens,while calling Tom Brady...."pretty boy".

Skip Bayless immediately changed the Patriots helmet to #1 and took Kordell to the woodshed about his "pretty boy" slur of the GOAT.

I guess Kordell still has his Super Bowl reservations from the AFC championship game in 2001....in Pittsburgh!

.......keep those bags packed,homey(lol):bricks:

Like ESPN, I'm gonna make my own version of the quarterback rating. It's called the REAL Quarterback Rating [RQR]

100 is the highest.

20pts - for throwing over 300 on a top ten D
10pts - for each TD
10 - for every INT
15pts - For dropped TD
5pts - For dropped passes
30 - For being clutch and coming from behind to win
5pts - For FGs
10pts - for line adjustments
-20 - for running up the score on terrible teams
10 pts - For throwing over 300 on any team
10 - for a completed pass after escaping the pressure or being hit.
2pts - for running for a first down.

Amazing.... Tom Brady ranked somewhere in the 90s, probably over 100. I don't know how I got it either. Just took a guess or something like that.

Mark Sanchez - 40.4, yeah I don't know how I got that either. Just watched a few highlights, checked out his stats and gave him a grade and because I just can't stand him, I took away 10 extra points. Sorta like ESPN is doing with that pathetic QBR. I thought they claimed it was based on clutchness and scrambling for downs and crap and that passes like the dropped TD, Hernandez handed over to Dallas didn't count against Brady. The system they created is pure BS

Dumb thread.

ESPN didn't claim QBR was perfect, there is no way a pure calculation can be. They just think it's better than the normal QB rating.

And in this case it is. The normal QB rating this week was Sanchez 95.6, Brady 82.3. So Sanchez won there too.

If you normalize the scores (standard QB ratings have a max of 158.3, QBR max is 100) you'll see that QBR ranks Brady closer to Sanchez than the old rating does. So QBR was (slightly) more accurate.

You can argue ESPN's advanced calculations should make that gap smaller or even eliminate it, but no way any statistical calculation can simply completely ignore two INTs. That's why Brady loses in both cases. And if you're honest that's how it should be.

Last edited:
Dumb thread.

ESPN didn't claim QBR was perfect, there is no way a pure calculation can be. They just think it's better than the normal QB rating.

And in this case it is. The normal QB rating this week was Sanchez 95.6, Brady 82.3. So Sanchez won there too.

If you normalize the scores (standard QB ratings have a max of 158.3, QBR max is 100) you'll see that QBR ranks Brady closer to Sanchez than the old rating does. So QBR was (slightly) more accurate.

You can argue ESPN's advanced calculations should make that gap smaller or even eliminate it, but no way any statistical calculation can simply completely ignore two INTs. That's why Brady loses in both cases. And if you're honest that's how it should be.

Sorry, but that's not going to hold water. It's not noticeably better than the old rating, and it claimed to be a giant improvement. It failed in its very first week, and it's been no better since.

Sorry, but that's not going to hold water. It's not noticeably better than the old rating, and it claimed to be a giant improvement. It failed in its very first week, and it's been no better since.
"claimed to be a giant improvement" is a huge overstatment IMO.

And also IMO if QBR had ranked Brady higher this particular week it would have been wrong, as I said INTs shouldn't be ignored. Especially since Brady's low INT rate is one of the reasons he has been so great. A 16/8 TD/INT rate for this season is pretty good, but it pales in comparison to a historically great 36/4 last season. Brady is not having as good a year this year.

Last edited:
Well now, there you have it. Sanchez is now the GOAT. :rolleyes:

Any true rating system would rate Brady first every week, and Sanchez last. Otherwise it's completely useless. :rolleyes:

I still like the old passer rating better, because it's transparent, and easy to manipulate. You can calculate it for all sorts of situational stuff. However, I don't think it's possible to calculate the splits for QBR. Splits can often be very telling, so any system that makes it hard or impossible to get the splits for it has an inherent problem as an evaluation tool.

One, my guess is that the rating system, which does have Brady towards the top for the season, is not designed to be judged on one week but across multiple weeks.

Two, any system like this is inherently flawed, but I guess the two picks had something to do with it.

Three, Yawn.

"claimed to be a giant improvement" is a huge overstatment IMO.

Not at all.... It's abundantly clear that such is the claim, whether those specific words are used or not.

NFL - The Total QBR FAQ - ESPN

And also IMO if QBR had ranked Brady higher this particular week it would have been wrong, as I said INTs shouldn't be ignored. Especially since Brady's low INT rate is one of the reasons he has been so great. A 16/8 TD/INT rate for this season is pretty good, but it pales in comparison to a historically great 36/4 last season. Brady is not having as good a year this year.

I wasn't referring to this week, although this week is an excellent example of some of QBR's failures, and it's already shown, in the short period of time since it was implemented, that it's really not noticeably better than QB rating. Since it's really not better than the old QB rating, it's not worth dealing with.

QB rating does not factor in decision making, sacks, competition, conditions, or at what point in the game the plays were made. It does not factor in if the team won. They are based 100% on numbers. In short..it is a very flawed way to judge a QB.

If we look solely at week 6, Brady had fewer yards per attempt, fewer yards per completion, the same amount of touchdowns but 2 more interceptions. The Jets won comfortably whereas the Patriots won in the final 30 seconds of the game.

I have to say I have a hard time considering a rating system flawed for putting Sanchez over Brady based purely on their respective week 6 performances.

If we look solely at week 6, Brady had fewer yards per attempt, fewer yards per completion, the same amount of touchdowns but 2 more interceptions. The Jets won comfortably whereas the Patriots won in the final 30 seconds of the game.

I have to say I have a hard time considering a rating system flawed for putting Sanchez over Brady based purely on their respective week 6 performances.
Very good point.

Both rating systems have their flaws. But if some folks here set the kool-aid down for a minute, it is apparent that Sanchez had a better game than Brady did last week ... and just as apparent that Brady has had a better season than Sanchez has had.

NFL - Week 6 Total QBR Leaders - ESPN
NFL - Week 6 Total QBR Season Leaders - ESPN

As for those defending the traditional QB Rating over the new model because the new one had Sanchez over Brady, consider this: for the week 6 games only Brady was 82.3 and Sanchez was 95.6 under the old QBR; for the season Brady is 104.8 (2nd) and Sanchez is 82.3 (20th).

Aren't both ratings systems saying pretty much the same thing?

Did you notice the 4 three-and-outs and completely inept passing game that would have knocked most teams chances out from winning that game? What about the multiple horribly placed passes from Sanchez when he missed wide open receivers?

The HOME CROWD booing their own quarterback???

Brady in that Jets game wins 45-3. Sanchez in that Patriots game gets absolutely eaten alive by that Dallas defense...he already did for three quarters in week 1 before Revis and company bailed him out again.

Last edited:
Brady is No. 2 overall in season QBR at 78.8. Sanchez is No. 30 in season QBR at 27.2.

Sanchez had a better Week 6 QBR for a week where Brady threw two interceptions. Overall Brady still has nearly 3x the QBR of Sanchez. And the #1 ranked guy right now is Aaron Rodgers which makes sense at this point. By no means am I endorsing QBR, but for now the numbers seem to be about where they should be. For the entire season so far, Brady is considered more than twice as good a QB as Sanchez according to QBR.

Last edited:
Did you notice the 4 three-and-outs and completely inept passing game that would have knocked most teams chances out from winning that game? What about the multiple horribly placed passes from Sanchez when he missed wide open receivers?

The HOME CROWD booing their own quarterback???

Brady in that Jets game wins 45-3. Sanchez in that Patriots game gets absolutely eaten alive by that Dallas defense...he already did for three quarters in week 1 before Revis and company bailed him out again.
You can't measure performance based on "what would have happened if...". Sanchez had a better game 6 than Brady, statistically, in every way. No matter what rating system you looked at, Sanchez would be rated higher for that game. Brady's still the better QB, don't worry, and QBR still sucks, but Sanchez deserved his higher-than-Brady rating.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes