PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Happy that we didn't sign Givens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriot Games

On the Roster
Reaction score
I liked Givens. He was a nice #2 to Branch.

But if he really just got 25 million over 5 years, the best move the Pats could make was to not sign him.

That is a ton of money for a guy who has missed games every year and has never had a huge season.

For a low-rounder, he was a great bargain for some time but now he is grossly overpaid.

Good for him, but I'm glad that the Pats aren't the ones paying for it.

I tend to agree...although as pointed out..with Brady throwing the ball to many receivers, its hard to get numbers in NE's offense. I am more concerned about his missing games..dropping passes..and being out of position on plays.
It happens..and he has been a great compliment to Branch a big 3rd receiver and great over the middle. He will be missed..nonetheless, 35 mill is way too much.

Patriot Games said:
I liked Givens. He was a nice #2 to Branch.

But if he really just got 25 million over 5 years, the best move the Pats could make was to not sign him.

That is a ton of money for a guy who has missed games every year and has never had a huge season.

For a low-rounder, he was a great bargain for some time but now he is grossly overpaid.

Good for him, but I'm glad that the Pats aren't the ones paying for it.

Have to say I have to agree with you. Givens was a nice player but that's crazy money for a teams number two. As much as he did for the Pat's I always waited for him to do it week in and week out but never saw it. Sometimes he seemed invisible. Could have been the game plan but...

bostonbuzz said:
Have to say I have to agree with you. Givens was a nice player but that's crazy money for a teams number two. As much as he did for the Pat's I always waited for him to do it week in and week out but never saw it. Sometimes he seemed invisible. Could have been the game plan but...

Yes its crazy money and what about the signing bonus also

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2368161

broadwayjoe said:
Yes its crazy money and what about the signing bonus also

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2368161

Its tough to say what market value is right now - with the new CBA teams are going a little crazy throwing cash around.

In that sense the Pats are wise to let the market correct itself.

a 5 year $25 million contract with an $8 mil signing bonus strikes me as a lower tier #1 WR contract.

The Titans overpaid but its all about supply and demand - and supply is currently low while demand is high.

Much depends on the structure of Given's salary.

If the first two years have low salaries, effectively meaning this deal is a two year $9 million contract I might have been inclined to see the Pats match... that would make it cheaper than a transition tag for them while only requring a two year commitment.

But I can definately understand why the Pats felt the offer was too rich for their blood. We already have an undersized WR - I'd prefer to spend a little bit more money for someone like Moulds or Keyshawn when they are available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye