PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hallelujah!!! Woody announces Rex is returning in 2014

This is awesome news if only for the wonderful board material Joker will provide in 2014.

Can you remind us again what it is about missing the playoffs and not having a winning season three years in a row that convinces you that Rex Ryan is a competent head coach?

You should ask Bob Kraft this exact question in relation to his hiring of Belichick in 2000. Clearly, if he thought that won-loss record was the main determinant of the quality of a head coach, he would not have hired Belichick.

And why are you focusing on the last 3 years when he has been rebuilding the defense and dealing first with Mark Sanchez's meltdown and now a rookie QB and ignoring or minimizing the achievement of taking the Sanchize to back to back AFCCG? Actually, how about this year? They went 8-8, beat the Pats and ended the Dolphins season by dominating them in Miami, all with a young defense, rookie quarterback and their few decent skill position players sidelined for much of the season with injury. Why is that not a good coaching job?

I'm not saying that Rex is at BB's level, just that his defenses defend Brady better than most, he makes solid in game decisions, and has been able to squeeze a little bit of offense out of a miserable QB situation. When he got even decent QB play, he went deep into the playoffs. If he gets it again next year, that team will be a handful. Just my view. The OP was celebrating like the Jets were bringing Wade Philips back.

now to complete the show we want back the rock star

SANCHISE

images

Add me to those who are thrilled that Rex is back.....but for some different reasons. I think Rex is a good HC as far as they go in the NFL. He's done a great job this season. I also think its important for the Jets to be decent and a threat. It adds to the rivalry to beat the Jets when they are a competitive team.

The reality is that Rex is a good enough HC to keep the Jets competitive, but has enough flaws that they will NEVER be a threat to dominate the division for even 3 years let alone 10 of 11. This year he got his team to play hard all year, but his schtick gets old fast and this generation of Jets will tire of his BS, just like before.

So in the end the reason for Pats fans to rejoice over Rex's return is that Rex's entertainment value alone makes the Jets just that much more entertaining, and his flaws make his demise inevitable.

Let, your Rex man crush is a little disturbing ;). I give him all the credit in the world for his playoff win in 2010. It will be the highlight of his career (and the Jets 2nd most important win in their history) However the Pats AVERAGED over 30 points/game against the "defensive genius" until this year when we were clearly offensively challenged when we played them early and got them for 27 even in the defeat. Rex might be a "defensive genius" to a lot of teams, but since 2011 he hasn't been much of a mystery to Josh and BB

Rex also greatly benefited from a couple of gift wins to get into the playoffs in 2009 and a playoff gift against SD, who had their all pro kicker miss makeable FG's in the upset win. They were a fluke participant in that 2009 season. The Jets great season was in 2010 getting to the AFCCG. They were an 11-5 team that did a great job in their first 2 playoff games. They were a worthy challenger in that final AFC game.

That's it Let. One good season n 5 and a couple of games UNDER 500. That exactly the perfect guy to be with the Jets. I hope they extend him in fact. They might beat the Pats on occasion. They might even win the division someday.....but not next year, and if they do someday... not for long.

Ken, there is so much wrong here I don't have time to get to all of it. Just a few notes:

Ryan is 46-40 in his first 5 years, with two visits to the AFCCG. BB was 37-45 in his first five, with no visits to the AFCCG. As I have said record doesn't tell the story of a head coach, but Rex's record is not as bad as you say.

It is ridiculous to not give him credit for the playoff victories because they got help getting into the playoffs and because they benefitted from missed FGs. If that is the case the 2011 Giants and 2007 Giants should be stripped of their titles and they should promptly be awarded to the Patriots.

The Pats did nothing on offense in EITHER game against the Jets this year. The game in which the Pats scored 27, they were outgained 383-295 and Brady had a QBR of 29.

Pats did pretty well against Jets D in 2011 and 2012 when the Jets were transitioning out from the Calvin Pace/Bart Scott/Eric Smith group and their D was either too old in some positions or too young in others. Overall, his defenses have done a better job than most against the Pats. Do you really want to debate that?

Rejoice! Rejoice! It's official. Woody Johnson has confirmed that Rex, coming off a terrific 8-8 season, will return for business in 2014. This virtually assures yet another year of irrelevancy and mediocrity for the hapless Jests.

Gotta love it! :rocker:

Actually Rex did a very good job with that team this year. They don't quit, they play hard and they give the Patriots all they can handle every year. Jets lack talent on the offensive side of the ball. When/if they get some talent then they'll be a threat because Rex can coach defense with the best of them.

They went 8-8, beat the Pats
Injuries and the referees beat the Pats in that game.

he makes solid in game decisions
Only on defense. Have you ever watched him on the sidelines during a game? Whenever the Jets offense calls a time out he's nowhere to be seen.

Going 8-8 with that team is a pretty good job. He deserves another shot.

Injuries and the referees beat the Pats in that game.

So the refs were responsible for the Jets outgaining the Pats by almost 100 yards, doubling them in time of possession, and generally manhandling them all day? Are you one of those that just repeats hysterically "it was the refs it was the refs!" anytime the Pats lose?

And injuries? Pats had way more talent on the field that day than the Jets and it wasn't even close. Gronkowski, Edelman, Dobson, Ridley were all healthy. Go look at the scrubs that caught balls from Geno that day.

The Jets badly outplayed the Pats. Since the Jets were grossly deficient in personnel, especially at the QB position, I'm going to go ahead and say that Rex Ryan outcoached Bill Belichick on that day. This was highlighted on the penalty on the FG when the Jets staff told the refs to be on the lookout for the Pats pushing and BB essentially admitted that he didn't understand the rule (he mistakenly thought it was ok to push as long as a second level player was not involved). Anybody that outcoaches Bill Belichick even once cannot be a bad coach. It's just not possible. And Rex had done it several times, including the only time they met in the playoffs. So, yeah, I'm comfortable saying Rex is a pretty good coach.

I hate to say this but i don't think rex is that bad of a coach. What i hate/d about him was his loud mouth, and his disrespectful attitude toward other coaches and teams. He is become less of a baffoon over the last couple of years, and if the jest gm can get him some players he watch out. 8/8 is pretty good for what he had to work with. But, that being said he just as easily screw up again if he lets players like Holms cause trouble.

Rex is good enough to make a bad team look average and bad enough to make a good team look average. I love having him around. He's exactly what the Jets deserve, mediocrity. Good enough to keep his job and bad enough to never be a real threat. Anyone who is afraid of Rex is probably afraid of puppies and goldfish.

I for one will not celebrate this. I would have preferred him to be fired and out of the AFC East. Defensively, he has played the Pats very hard, with the Jets and when he was DC for the Ratbirds.

Since I live in NYC and follow the NFL, I've had to watch Rex' evolution as an HC pretty closely.

In the beginning, I thought of him as a buffoon who created a circus atmosphere around his team...I thought of him that way because, well, that's what he was.

But, in the last couple of years, especially this year, he's changed quite a bit. Maybe adversity did it to him. Maybe a friend or mentor took him aside and forced him to face the truth about himself. Maybe, like many who learn from their mistakes, he just matured as he got older and gained more experience. But, he comes across as a different guy now, and I'm not just talking about his physical appearance.

Ryan got the most out of a green, marginally talented QB and depleted Offense and built a Defense that makes opponents take notice. Put it this way. As a Pats fan, I would have been happier if they had fired him.

If anything, I feel bad for Rex that he didn't get his ass fired out of Woody Johnson's organization, because I truly believe that the Jets aren't going to win squatdoodle as long as he owns the team.

Let's heed the old adage: "Be careful what you ask for...you just might get it."

Since I live in NYC and follow the NFL, I've had to watch Rex' evolution as an HC pretty closely.

In the beginning, I thought of him as a buffoon who created a circus atmosphere around his team...I thought of him that way because, well, that's what he was.

But, in the last couple of years, especially this year, he's changed quite a bit. Maybe adversity did it to him. Maybe a friend or mentor took him aside and forced him to face the truth about himself. Maybe, like many who learn from their mistakes, he just matured as he got older and gained more experience. But, he comes across as a different guy now, and I'm not just talking about his physical appearance.

Ryan got the most out of a green, marginally talented QB and depleted Offense and built a Defense that makes opponents take notice. Put it this way. As a Pats fan, I would have been happier if they had fired him.

If anything, I feel bad for Rex that he didn't get his ass fired out of Woody Johnson's organization, because I truly believe that the Jets aren't going to win squatdoodle as long as he owns the team.

Let's heed the old adage: "Be careful what you ask for...you just might get it."
Maybe because his style put him at risk of being fired he realized he needed to tone it down and concentrate on coaching instead of creating headlines, and writing checks his team couldn't cash. I imagine every team got up to play the jest because Wrex put a bullseye on his teams back every week with his loud mouth. Then there is/was his interaction with the players (getting a tattoo of sanchizes) letting players talk sht about the opposing team, letting players like Holms cause locker room problems. Maybe hes learning he can't allow this to go on.

This.

Ryan is an excellent defensive coach. He's no more than average in any other aspect of the game. He has to take some responsibility for the Jets mediocrity over the last three years. His team basically failed to show up in a number of key games, particularly the Miami game four weeks ago.

It's really nice that the Jets finished strong. But really, so what? A good NFL GM considers circumstances in making performance evaluations. Performance is usually discounted when coaches are coaching and the players are playing with no pressure and nothing to lose.

Ryan used the potential loss of his job to motivate his team to win. It's as if BB said "please do your job or I'll get fired." Can anyone imagine that from BB or the Harbaughs or Coughlin or Carroll? That won't motivate the Jets in Week 12 of 2014. It's a crazy way to coach and I'd rather than my team just work on getting better than have greater motivation because I might get fired.

I join those in this thread who wish Ryan had been fired. The guy knows how to coach in big games and knows how to defend Brady.

Let's assume he was fired as HC. Then this supposedly brilliant guy who knows how to defend Brady gets a DC job with a team with a half decent offense and now has the complete tools to defeat Brady. We're better off with him as HC (Head Clown) of the NY Jests where his astounding ineptitude with the offense limits the damage he can do.

I also look fwd to continued conflict and disfunction between Rex and the GM and Rex and Woody.

Let the Good Times Roll!

As a head coach, Rex has proved game after game, year after year that he doesn't have a clue how to improve the offense. He's about as bad as it gets. What offensive players can you point to and say that they are significantly improved because of the Jets coaching? On the Patriots side, we can point to quite a few (think Blount, think various members of the OL, think about the development of Edelman).

What that means is that no matter how good his defense may or may not be (and note that the Jets were not in the top 10 in points allowed this year), as a team the Jets will never truly be a Super Bowl contender in this offensive oriented league. Yes, they did have some magical moments early on mostly with Mangini's players (backing into the playoffs one year and finding a way to make the AFCCG and truly earning it in another year), but long-term mediocrity is the expectation of a Rex Ryan coached team (because a TEAM includes the offense, defense and special teams - not just the defense).

Rex Ryan is the best 8-8 head coach in the NFL. I hope Woody Johnson extends his contract so Rex can do that for many years to come.

Attachments

• rex we trust.jpg
    rex we trust.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 42
So the refs were responsible for the Jets outgaining the Pats by almost 100 yards, doubling them in time of possession, and generally manhandling them all day? Are you one of those that just repeats hysterically "it was the refs it was the refs!" anytime the Pats lose?

And injuries? Pats had way more talent on the field that day than the Jets and it wasn't even close. Gronkowski, Edelman, Dobson, Ridley were all healthy. Go look at the scrubs that caught balls from Geno that day.

The Jets badly outplayed the Pats. Since the Jets were grossly deficient in personnel, especially at the QB position, I'm going to go ahead and say that Rex Ryan outcoached Bill Belichick on that day. This was highlighted on the penalty on the FG when the Jets staff told the refs to be on the lookout for the Pats pushing and BB essentially admitted that he didn't understand the rule (he mistakenly thought it was ok to push as long as a second level player was not involved). Anybody that outcoaches Bill Belichick even once cannot be a bad coach. It's just not possible. And Rex had done it several times, including the only time they met in the playoffs. So, yeah, I'm comfortable saying Rex is a pretty good coach.

Nonsense. THIS is how your hero Wrecks "out-coached" BB: It was New England's first game without Mayo and with Hightower calling defensive signals. Also no Talib and no Gregory, with Arrington starting out of position at safety. FOUR ROOKIES starting in OLB Collins, CB Ryan, and interior DL Chris Jones and Vellano. The defense was an uncoordinated mess due to INJURIES. Despite that, New Jersey out-gained New England by just 88 yards including 10 minutes of overtime. (And if you want to extend the injury situation to offense, consider Amendola was still out.)

This idea of Wrecks tipping off the refs pre-game to the Pats' field goal defense violation is unconfirmed myth reinforced by the FACT that New Jersey did the same thing against the Pats in the same game and it was not called. The Chris Jones "push" was a highly questionable (non-blatant) call. It later was reported that DL pushing on FG tries was a league-mandated point of emphasis for that week and the refs were trigger happy about it at the wrong time, especially considering their missing the same foul committed by earlier New Jersey. That flag is not thrown and the Patriots likely win despite being severely undermanned.

The fact remains that Wrecks is 4-7 vs. New England. He is a solid defensive coach who knows and cares little about offense; that is why most of us are glad he's returning.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
Back