PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hallelujah!!! Woody announces Rex is returning in 2014

A kicker who had only missed one kick all year chokes on 3 in one game. Tom Brady throws an unpressured INT on a screen pass and Alge Crumpler drops an easy breadbasket TD.

Are we really supposed to pretend that it was Ryan's coaching doing that? Are we really going to pretend that the 4-2 for Rex wasn't littered with all sorts of luck, and are we really going to ignore everything but those two lucky runs?

Sorry, but I just can't do it. If Rex was a good coach, I'd want him far away from the Jets, and I'd say so openly. That team is Marty Schottenheimer (for example) and a decent QB away from being a real pain in the ass team. I'm thrilled that they chose to keep someone like Ryan instead of making that sort of heads up move.

Maybe Rex will learn how to be a true head coach, and his being in NY will come back to bite the Patriots in the ass. He's shown no signs of that through 5 years, though. What he's shown is a lot of reasons that help explain why the Ravens passed on him for Harbaugh.

I don't disagree with you about Rex Ryan, but I will say that I was impressed with two things about that situation this year. First, Rex seemed like a serious head coach this year and showed none of the buffoonery of previous seasons, leading me to me to think that Idzik has legitimate management skills. Second, the Jets played some hard-nosed football this year and didn't quit on their coaching staff or themselves after they were eliminated from the playoffs.

In contrast to the Miami Dolphins (who have superior talent IMHO), the Jets performed up to the level of their talent with a rookie QB while the Dolphins squandered a well-assembled team.

Wade is 1-5 in the playoffs, Rex is 4-2. Wade is one of those guys who can manage a situation, usually coming in to pick up the pieces after a mess, and having early success before the wheels fall off (Bills and Cowboys.) He's that guy you bring in who the owner can get along with and be the bridge between high maintenance egomaniacs. Wade would be a good replacement for Rex when Woody gets the memo that he ain't gonna win anything with Rex at the controls.

Wade has 1--ONE-playoff win in 12 years as a HC, despite being installed in very favorable situations in Denver, Dallas, and Buffalo. And the Patriots score 40 against his defenses without even breaking a sweat.

Are you really serious? I feel like I'm in a Fellini movie.

Have to say I actually thought the video of the team hugging and cheering on Rex when he was announced to come back was pretty cool. Strange I felt the way I did when I saw it.

Wade has 1--ONE-playoff win in 12 years as a HC, despite being installed in very favorable situations in Denver, Dallas, and Buffalo. And the Patriots score 40 against his defenses without even breaking a sweat.

Wait.... the guy who's counting interim coaching jobs as "years" is asking if others are serious?

1243271414_black_guy_laughing.gif

It's hard to imagine how this thread could make you feel like you are in a Fellini movie since Federico Fellini died in 1993, six years before Ian Logue invented New England Patriots Fans featuring News, Stats, Analysis, Messageboards & Forums, Patriots Blogs, And Salary Cap Information for Fans. - PatsFans.com

Wait.... the guy who's counting interim coaching jobs as "years" is asking if others are serious?

1243271414_black_guy_laughing.gif

Oh I am so sorry. 1 playoff win in 9, non-interim coaching years. Will you add anything of substance to any discussion ever or do you only exist to ensure nothing of substance is discussed?

It's hard to imagine how this thread could make you feel like you are in a Fellini movie since Federico Fellini died in 1993, six years before Ian Logue invented New England Patriots Fans featuring News, Stats, Analysis, Messageboards & Forums, Patriots Blogs, And Salary Cap Information for Fans. - PatsFans.com

A shame. He would appreciate the absurdity of you being anti-Rex but also saying things like "8-8 was the best those players could've done this year"

Oh I am so sorry. 1 playoff win in 9, non-interim coaching years. Will you add anything of substance to any discussion ever or do you only exist to ensure nothing of substance is discussed?

I've already added quite a bit of substance. You, on the other hand, have pretty much only demonstrated that you don't understand the meaning of the word "evidence".

This.

Ryan is an excellent defensive coach. He's no more than average in any other aspect of the game. He has to take some responsibility for the Jets mediocrity over the last three years. His team basically failed to show up in a number of key games, particularly the Miami game four weeks ago.

It's really nice that the Jets finished strong. But really, so what? A good NFL GM considers circumstances in making performance evaluations. Performance is usually discounted when coaches are coaching and the players are playing with no pressure and nothing to lose.

Ryan used the potential loss of his job to motivate his team to win. It's as if BB said "please do your job or I'll get fired." Can anyone imagine that from BB or the Harbaughs or Coughlin or Carroll? That won't motivate the Jets in Week 12 of 2014. It's a crazy way to coach and I'd rather than my team just work on getting better than have greater motivation because I might get fired.

I don't think we disagree all that much.

Ryan seems to be lights out with his Defense, but his apparent deficits on the other side of the ball have been complicated by his failure to be a good judge of talent for the OC job; three in the last three years, including the "Tony Sparano Error" and I'm not sure that Mornhinweg is anybody's answer...just ask the Eagles. Does he stick with him for one more season or does he go with his fourth Coordinator in four years? That's probably the most important decision he has to make, assuming that it is his to make.

Also, even the New York press is very tepid towards Geno Smith, who seems to be winning in the "nice guy" and "A for effort" categories (and deservedly so), but who turns the ball over way too often and seemed to be making the same mistakes in judgment in December that he was making in September...shades of the Sanchize. In fact, the personality similarities between Smith and Sanchez, drafted by two different GM's, do make me think that Johnson is calling the shots and making his GM go after players with whom he is personally comfortable; in other words, Colin Kaepernicks "need not apply."

This all gets back to my main point, which is that the "rot" in the Jets organization starts at the top.

Idzik makes BB look like a Chatty Cathy, so it's hard to tell how much of the blame he should shoulder and how much goes to Woody "Is the Ball Stuffed with Feathers?" Johnson. My guess is that most of it probably belongs at the desk of the man who is living off of his Granddaddy's money, bought an NFL Team as a status symbol but hasn't worked a real day in his life; he strikes me as a maddening guy for whom to work. Idzik's predecessor did put together the team that went to the AFCCG twice in a row (once with a lot of help from the Colts), but Tannenbaum will forever be remembered for trading up to draft Sanchez. Idzik and Johnson now have to decide whether to risk another season on Smith or cut their losses.

For me, the bottom line is that Rex has changed his tune/style and does deserve one more season to show that he can contend for the Division.

I completely disagree.

Eric Mangini, of Ratgini fame, assembled the Team that Rex managed to get to the AFCCG a couple of times. Tannenbaum screwed it up with the Kentucky DT with bad knees,, the "can't miss" DE who did, and the First Round CB who wasn't, along with Sancheeze. the QB who couldn't.

Ratgini may have a lack of interpersonal skills, but he is an excelent judge of talent, and a fair to middling Coach. BB wasn't wrong about that.

I for one are looking forward to another season of the toe sucking buffoon mismanaging the clock and acting all puzzled when his dumbass players take every kind of stupid penalty imaginable... Maybe his wife's other arm now has Geno Smith's number tattooed on it these days?

:D :rocker: :cool: :p

I completely disagree.

Eric Mangini, of Ratgini fame, assembled the Team that Rex managed to get to the AFCCG a couple of times. Tannenbaum screwed it up with the Kentucky DT with bad knees,, the "can't miss" DE who did, and the First Round CB who wasn't, along with Sancheeze. the QB who couldn't.

Ratgini may have a lack of interpersonal skills, but he is an excelent judge of talent, and a fair to middling Coach. BB wasn't wrong about that.

I agree. And once Ratgini's foundation of players was in place. Instead of building on top of that for the future, Footsie decided to phuck up the cap and go for the quick hit. He rebuilt the Footsie way signing some expensive past prime, malcontent pieces (Complainian, Holmes, Edwards). Moved up in the draft to take a not so ready for prime time QB, and obviously the result is SOJ

MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Back