PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hallelujah!!! Woody announces Rex is returning in 2014

And I say they got to back-to-back AFCCGs (with Mangini's teams, no less) in spite of Rex, not because of him. He's the same guy who espoused "Ground and Pound" in today's pass happy NFL. His Dad was a talentless dumbass who inherited great talent and was a terrible HC. Rex is just a chip off the old block.

I hope both Rex and Woody grow old together.

And way to go out on a limb...If Geno develops and they get a big time WR they'll be a threat. When will WE get a big time WR?

So, now it is not facts, but because you "say". Ok.

What is the relevance of Mangini? Are you saying that the Jets made the AFCCG twice under Rex because they were so well coached up by Mangini in previous years that they were able to overcome Rex's bad coaching, even though they never won a playoff game under Mangini?? Sounds logical...

Oh, and the Patriots have had a big time receiver since 2007, so I have no idea what you're talking about. First it was Moss (and Welker if, like some here, you consider him a "big time WR"), and then that transitioned into Gronkowski (in my opinion, the second most dominant receiver in the NFL after Megatron).

I don't know what the Jets cap situation is, but it seems reasonable that they could get one or two good receivers in the offseason. It also seems reasonable that Geno (like most QBs) will improve, but especially based on his late season progress (2 picks in the last 4 games after 19 in the first 12).

I'm glad that everyone is so excited about this development, but I certainly would've preferred a Rob Chudzinksi, Dennis Allen, some other no name, or some college flavor of the month over continuing with Rex.

Yeah how is Rex staying good? He may be a buffoon but his defense is pretty good and they almost always give new England more than they can handle.

what we needed was another regime change, another false hope. :mad:

Yeah how is Rex staying good? He may be a buffoon but his defense is pretty good and they almost always give new England more than they can handle.

22-26 over the past 3 seasons

22-26 over the past 3 seasons

In a vacuum, that is completely irrelevant information.

Bill Belichick was 41-55 over his first 6 seasons. Bad coach?

Jim Caldwell was 14-2 with Peyton Manning at QB. 2-14 without. Was he a good coach when he had Peyton Manning at QB and a bad coach when he didn't?

If you look at the Jets talent level, especially at the all important QB position, the Jets have overachieved under Rex Ryan. He should have a bust in canton for being twice on the doorstep of the Super Bowl with Mark Sanchez at the helm.

In a vacuum, that is completely irrelevant information.

Since a coach's record is clearly relevant to a discussion such as this, I don't think you know what the word 'irrelevant' means.

If you look at the Jets talent level, especially at the all important QB position, the Jets have overachieved under Rex Ryan. He should have a bust in canton for being twice on the doorstep of the Super Bowl with Mark Sanchez at the helm.

.... and that's a load of nonsense.

BTW, the Patriots are 5-1 in the last 6 meetings between these two teams.

If the Jets drafts Johnny Football and some weapons... maybe I'll be a little worried about them. But as long as Rex makes sure it's Geno + no name bums, then this is a great move for us!

Since a coach's record is clearly relevant to a discussion such as this, I don't think you know what the word 'irrelevant' means.

.... and that's a load of nonsense.

The record, in and of itself, tells you nothing about the coach's ability, which is what we are discussing here. In that sense it is:

ir·rel·e·vant
/iˈreləvənt/

adjective

1. not connected with or relevant to something

I thought the Belichick and Caldwell examples would have illustrated that concept for you, but I should have known, given my audience, that I aimed too high.

And the Jets were 3-1 against the Patriots in BB's first 4 games against the Jets.

A thread on a Jets site immediately before the start of the 2002 season celebrating BB's return to the Patriots sideline would have been nearly as ridiculous as this thread.

And what, pray tell, is the relevance of this??? If anything, this supports Rex's coaching ability. Even if coached by BB himself, I would expect a team starting a demoralized Mark Sanchez and a rookie turnover machine against Tom Brady to go 0-6, not 1-5.

And what, pray tell, is the relevance of this??? If anything, this supports Rex's coaching ability. Even if coached by BB himself, I would expect a team starting a demoralized Mark Sanchez and a rookie turnover machine against Tom Brady to go 0-6, not 1-5.

And even more nonsense

The record, in and of itself, tells you nothing about the coach's ability, which is what we are discussing here. In that sense it is:

ir·rel·e·vant
/iˈreləvənt/

adjective

1. not connected with or relevant to something

I thought the Belichick and Caldwell examples would have illustrated that concept for you, but I should have known, given my audience, that I aimed too high.

You confuse dispositive and irrelevant.

And the Jets were 3-1 against the Patriots in BB's first 4 games against the Jets.

A thread on a Jets site immediately before the start of the 2002 season celebrating BB's return to the Patriots sideline would have been nearly as ridiculous as this thread.

Ryan has one season with a legitimately better than .500 finish in his 5 seasons as the Jets head coach. Mangini managed to lead the Jets to 2 of them in his 3 seasons. This thread is just fine.

Do you folks not see that Rex defends the Pats better than anyone? I would be rejoicing if we DIDN'T have to face him anymore. As the Pats found out, when Geno plays well they can beat anybody. He looked great today.

:blah: :blah: Go ahead and let Wrecks play glorified DC, he's 4-7 vs. New England. The Green Beans will continue to suck offensively as long as he's running the show.

With Rex signed the only thing left for Woody is to put up the AFC East Divional Runner up pennant the Jets won again.

Add me to those who are thrilled that Rex is back.....but for some different reasons. I think Rex is a good HC as far as they go in the NFL. He's done a great job this season. I also think its important for the Jets to be decent and a threat. It adds to the rivalry to beat the Jets when they are a competitive team.

The reality is that Rex is a good enough HC to keep the Jets competitive, but has enough flaws that they will NEVER be a threat to dominate the division for even 3 years let alone 10 of 11. This year he got his team to play hard all year, but his schtick gets old fast and this generation of Jets will tire of his BS, just like before.

So in the end the reason for Pats fans to rejoice over Rex's return is that Rex's entertainment value alone makes the Jets just that much more entertaining, and his flaws make his demise inevitable.

Let, your Rex man crush is a little disturbing ;). I give him all the credit in the world for his playoff win in 2010. It will be the highlight of his career (and the Jets 2nd most important win in their history) However the Pats AVERAGED over 30 points/game against the "defensive genius" until this year when we were clearly offensively challenged when we played them early and got them for 27 even in the defeat. Rex might be a "defensive genius" to a lot of teams, but since 2011 he hasn't been much of a mystery to Josh and BB

Rex also greatly benefited from a couple of gift wins to get into the playoffs in 2009 and a playoff gift against SD, who had their all pro kicker miss makeable FG's in the upset win. They were a fluke participant in that 2009 season. The Jets great season was in 2010 getting to the AFCCG. They were an 11-5 team that did a great job in their first 2 playoff games. They were a worthy challenger in that final AFC game.

That's it Let. One good season n 5 and a couple of games UNDER 500. That exactly the perfect guy to be with the Jets. I hope they extend him in fact. They might beat the Pats on occasion. They might even win the division someday.....but not next year, and if they do someday... not for long.

The players gave Wrecks a Gatorade bath. How pathetic.

Yeah, I just have to disagree with you entirely. Despite TERRIBLE QB play, he has taken the jets to the playoffs twice, the AFC championship game, and has beaten Brady four times. They were very close to sweeping us this year. Their D line is an absolute nightmare and Geno showed signs of progress. The best thing for the Pats would be for the Jets to fire Rex and suffer through more lack of continuity.

Can you remind us again what it is about missing the playoffs and not having a winning season three years in a row that convinces you that Rex Ryan is a competent head coach?

Ryan has been coaching the Jets for five years. The Pats were 6-4 against the Jets in BB's first five years. Every year there are 14 other games on the schedule.

BB and his team were coming off a Super Bowl victory before the start of the 2002 season.

If Izdik had his way, Rex would be gone. The Jets' problems start at the top. The Pats success begins at the top.

The Giants went 6-10. It is interesting that no one in NY is talking about replacing Coughlin or Reese. No one. John Mara doesn't even get asked that question.

Rings.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back