PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hall of Famers: 72 Dolphins vs. 07 Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colvin a HOFer? - Are you crazy?

Hes a pretty good LB but nowhere near the likes of an Urlacher,Briggs or Merriman ect:

Over at ESPN, one of the worst writers to ever touch the subject of football (Jeffri Chadiha), brought up an interesting point...He says that one of the reasons that the pats won't go undefeated is that it is impossible to build the depth that the 72 Dolphins had because of the salary cap.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/colum...jeffri&id=3047461&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

"The first thing a team needs for a perfect season is a near-perfect roster. Those are pretty hard to come by in today's NFL, primarily because of one reason: the salary cap. Ever since the league adopted a hard cap in 1994, it has become increasingly difficult for franchises to stockpile the kind of talent that propelled the Dolphins to their magical season (Miami had six future Hall of Famers on that team)."

His argument is stupid because everyone knows that depth is about the bottom of the roster, not the top, but my question is, how many future hall of famers do you think we have sitting on our roster this year?

Brady obviously, Moss probably, Harrison?, Seymour?, Colvin?, Thomas?

That's six right there, same as the 72 Dolphins.
this team would destroy the 72 dolphins. remember, in 72 it was easy to make the HOF... each year it gets tougher.

Sey could but it is way too early. If the Pats win two more rings and he has 5, he would probably be in if he maintained his presence. Although this is ironic because as harrison is underrated, Big Sey is slightly overrated compared to the other DL starters who may have been as good as him last year.

Colvin? Most people don't know who he is. You can only get into the Hall if most people don't know who you are.....and you are a Right guard. I would think that Bruschi has slightly better odds than Colvin right now (about 15% versus 5%).

Thomas would need to be lights out until 2012 and then we can talk.

Everyone else is too young so we don't really know but in 2014 we could be looking back on a young Wilfork or whoever who went on to do great things.
seymour is an almost automatic, if he plays again... he needs 5 rings? who else has 5? only one guy. 3 rings and a boatload of probowls, and being known as the nfl's best DL pretty much locks him in, unless he pulls a terrell davis.

The 6 HOF'ers from the 72 Fish wouldnt even make it into today's HOF...

Nick Buoniconti, Larry Csonka, Bob Griese, Jim Langer, Larry Little, and Paul Warfield

The Fish played one of the easiest schedules in modern NFL history... the opposition had a combined winning percentage under .400

Barely won their first playoff game... and they were dogs in the SB... A successful team yes; an all time great team, no.

Last edited:
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Tedy for the Hall of Fame yet. I think he has a pretty good shot.

Tedy has no chance of making it.

He dug out one good point -- you're unlikely to make it w/o cupcakes at the end of the schedule, unless you're still playing for something.

13 -- Pitt. Doesn't matter. Will still be playing hard then for seeding.
14 -- Jets
15 -- Miami
16 -- Giants

At least two of the last three get psyched up for the Pats easily.

Only way the Pats go 16-0 is if the Colts are on track for about 15-1.

Locks: Brady, Seau, Moss and BELICHICK (no one has mentioned this one and it's probably the most important one).

Good Potential: Seymour

Low potential: Thomas (needs 4-5 yrs at absolutely elite level, with at least one DPOY)

No chance: Harrison (take a look at the careers of the other HoF DBs, Harrison ain't even close.)

Young guys who could become elite, but have a LONG way to go: Samuel, Warren, Maroney, Mankins.

Well-reasoned!!

If a guy doesn't make a lot of Pro Bowls (e.g., Rodney), he's also probably not making the HoF. Especially if he's not at one of the stat-heavy skill positions.

Dillon is #14 ALL TIME in rushing yards

there are a total of 41 HB, RB, FB already enshrined

you don't think Corey is a lock?

I think he's a lock because of whta he accomplished. What else did Cinn have? Nothing. Opponents could game plan for Dillon and Dillon alone and yet he still managed to get all that yardage. Can you imagine what he would have accomplished on a team that wasn't always behind by 3 TD (negating a ground gam eforcing them to throw late in the game) or without a passing game (putting 8 men in the box)?
I put him in the same category as Barry Sanders, great runners on crummy teams......Swap Dillon for Emmitt Smith and tell me whether Emmit could have accomplished what Corey did ...without All Pros making blocks in front of him...

Last edited:
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Tedy for the Hall of Fame yet. I think he has a pretty good shot.

How many Prob Bowls does Tedy have? 1? Sure, he's a Patriot HoFer, but nowhere near an NFL HoFer. He's been beaten out year after year by Zach Thomas for the Pro Bowl, and I don't even think Thomas has a very good chance of getting in. You usually don't have more than 1 or 2 HoFers per position per era. Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher are locks for this era. You probably won't see another LB from the last 10 years in the Hall, maybe Derrick Brooks.

Last edited:
I think he's a lock because of whta he accomplished. What else did Cinn have? Nothing.

Dillon is a lock not to get in. Too many great RBs in this era. You don't get points for being on a bad team.

Brady is a lock. Moss will be in despite his issues. Seau is a lock, but not for anything he has done for the Pats.

Seymour - Good chance, but he needs to put in 3-4 more years playing at a high level to be considered.

Harrison and Dillon will not make it despite great careers.

Colvin - no chance. Vrabel - no chance.

Exactly.

Except Seymour does not have a good chance. DL need to lead the league in stats, not clogging up the LOS, in order to get into the HOF.

The problem with the whole comparison to the 72 Dolphins is that a lot of their players WOULD NOT be in the HOF if it was today. The chances of getting in the HOF anymore are much slimmer because they are always considering players going back a 100 years alongside new players. Back in the day, any good player stood a chance at the HOF. BB once said that a player could have a good game and get into the HOF when they asked him a question about the 72 Dolphins.

The amount of QBs that they are trying to squeeze into the HOF nowadays is crowding out other positions.

The 72 Dolphins were overrated and played an easy schedule, and the coach had control of the referees. They had some good players, but not 6 HOF level players.

That's because even most delusional Patriots fans recognize that someone who rarely went to the Pro Bowl has absolutely no shot for the NFL Hall of Fame. Now the Patriots Hall of Fame is a definate possibility.

Last edited:
You also have to take into account the Superbowl bump. Players on a team that wins championships always receive more recognition. Look at Lawrence Taylor and Andre Tippett, they're both equal in my book. Yet, Taylor went to the Hall the year he was eligible, and Tippett is still waiting.

You also have to take into account the Superbowl bump. Players on a team that wins championships always receive more recognition. Look at Lawrence Taylor and Andre Tippett, they're both equal in my book. Yet, Taylor went to the Hall the year he was eligible, and Tippett is still waiting.

Dude, come on. LT went to the probowl his first 10 years in the league. He's an icon.

Over at ESPN, one of the worst writers to ever touch the subject of football (Jeffri Chadiha), brought up an interesting point...He says that one of the reasons that the pats won't go undefeated is that it is impossible to build the depth that the 72 Dolphins had because of the salary cap.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/colum...jeffri&id=3047461&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

"The first thing a team needs for a perfect season is a near-perfect roster. Those are pretty hard to come by in today's NFL, primarily because of one reason: the salary cap. Ever since the league adopted a hard cap in 1994, it has become increasingly difficult for franchises to stockpile the kind of talent that propelled the Dolphins to their magical season (Miami had six future Hall of Famers on that team)."

His argument is stupid because everyone knows that depth is about the bottom of the roster, not the top, but my question is, how many future hall of famers do you think we have sitting on our roster this year?

Brady obviously, Moss probably, Harrison?, Seymour?, Colvin?, Thomas?

That's six right there, same as the 72 Dolphins.

Well, you're a homer, I'll give you that.

I think Brady's the only lock. Moss probably has to put up another two or three big seasons to overcome his Oakland vacation. I think the others are tough to see going in, as much as I'd like it.

Come on. I'll go in the tank for a Patr great any day of the week, but LT, as someone just pointed out, went to the Pro Bowl every year from 1981--1990, overlapping Andre's five trips. LT's in his own orbit. The comparison doesn't work.

Same reason we'll never seen a team win back-to-back Super Bowls and the Red Sox will remain among the teams who haven't won the championship for a century--it's the way it's always been.

Last edited:
Both the 72 'Fins and the 2007 Pats have in common...(I know...these are reaches)

-A RB w/ the last name of Morris
-Both w/ QBs w #11 & 3 QBs on the roster
-An "Evans" on the roster
-2 Speedy WRs (Warfield and Marlin Briscoe) that started
-Both starting QBs went to Big 10 schools
-Both years have a 2 and a 7.
-Both Shula and Belichick have ties to the Browns and Colts (Shula played for the Browns and coached the Colts...BB coached at both places)

JJDChE said:
Dude, come on. LT went to the probowl his first 10 years in the league. He's an icon.

PatsFanSince74 said:
Come on. I'll go in the tank for a Patr great any day of the week, but LT, as someone just pointed out, went to the Pro Bowl every year from 1981--1990, overlapping Andre's five trips. LT's in his own orbit. The comparison doesn't work.

And being on a premier team and an All American coming out of College didn't help?

Lawrence Taylor

*Year - Age - **Games Played - ***Sacks
1981 - 22 - 16 - 0.0
1982 - 23 - 9 - 7.5
1983 - 24 - 16 - 9.0
1984 - 25 - 16 - 11.5
1985 - 26 - 16 - 13.0
1986 - 27 - 16 - 20.5
1987 - 28 - 12 - 12.0
1988 - 29 - 12 - 15.5
1989 - 30 - 16 - 15.0
1990 - 31 - 16 - 10.5
1991 - 32 - 14 - 7.0
1992 - 33 - 9 - 5.0
1993 - 34 - 16 - 6.0

* 13 NFL Seasons
** 184 Games Played
*** 132.5 Sacks

0.720 Sacks Per Game

Andre Tippett

*Year - Age - *Games Played - ***Sacks
1982 - 22 - 9 - 0.0
1983 - 23 - 15 - 8.5
1984 - 24 - 16 - 18.5
1985 - 25 - 16 - 16.5
1986 - 26 - 11 - 9.5
1987 - 27 - 13 - 12.5
1988 - 28 - 12 - 7.0
1990 - 30 - 13 - 3.5
1991 - 31 - 16 - 8.5
1992 - 32 - 14 - 7.0
1993 - 33 - 16 - 8.5

* 11 NFL Seasons
** 151 Games Played
*** 100 Sacks

0.662 sacks per game

LT's a step above Tippett, not in a class all his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back