PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post All-Time QB Rankings / QB Hall of Fame Monitor

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
I was and still a great fan of Steve Grogan ... my favorite Patriots QB ... not best ...
just my favorite ... he called his own plays ... imagine that in today's NFL ... he was way ahead of his time.
Loved the old NFL ... but it's gone now .... still love all of it ...
It's great to see players who could have played well 30 years ago ...
Eh.... I have rambled enough ... bottle of wine and melatonin are telling me it's time for bed. :zzz:
Steve was tough - and hard headed.

He played vs. the Oilers here in the playoff & at Candlestick in '80 when he shouldn't have. The results were not surprising:

12/31/78

3/12, 38 yds, 0TD 2INT 1SK

11/30/80

16/32, 274 yds, 0TD 6INT 2SK

In his last year (1990) he signed a medical release waiver so the team was not liable for his health. Victory Tour and bankruptcy had already happened. Kraft saved us.

Eason was really good in his playoff appearances. 4 starts, all on the road, 3-1 record, 7 TDs, 0 INTs, and a passer rating of 115.6. Everyone picks on him for the embarrassment in the Super Bowl but the Bears did a Godzilla Tokyo destruction on the Patriots that night.

Patriots QBs in the postseason:

Grogan:
4 games, 0-3, 3 TDs, 7 INTs, 49.1 passer rating
Eason: 5 games, 3-2, 7 TDs, 0 INTs, 115.6 passer rating
Bledsoe: 7 games, 3-3, 6 TDs, 12 INTs, 54.9 passer rating
Brady: 41 games, 30-11, 73 TDs, 35 INTs, 89.8 passer rating
I can very easily understand people expecting Grogan to have gotten the same treatment from the 4-6 as Morton did from the Doomsday defense in the Superdome; but I expect Steve would have called the run and picked his spots.

We'll never know.

I was and still a great fan of Steve Grogan ... my favorite Patriots QB ... not best ...
just my favorite ... he called his own plays ... imagine that in today's NFL ... he was way ahead of his time.
Loved the old NFL ... but it's gone now .... still love all of it ...
It's great to see players who could have played well 30 years ago ...
Eh.... I have rambled enough ... bottle of wine and melatonin are telling me it's time for bed. :zzz:
It pissed me off to no end when Cant Newton was allowed to tie Grogan's Pats' rushing TD record for QBs. And in a pathetic 7-9 season to boot.

It pissed me off to no end when Cant Newton was allowed to tie Grogan's Pats' rushing TD record for QBs. And in a pathetic 7-9 season to boot.
For the most part, recent hallowed-record breakers have a golden lined red carpet laid out in front of them. It's a fact.

Doesn't mean Gretzky or Aaron suck.

But I do think Laver would beat Sampras. Or anybody for that matter.

Do I really think Bill Fitch or any of the ten other guys with more wins than Red are anywhere near his league? No. Never.

BTW Mac broke several of Jim Plunkett's rookie records.

No matter what he does, Jones will never be as good as Plunkett. Not a knock. Just the truth.

To get off of pointless meandering about Jim Plunkett.

Where is Mahomes ranked on that list now?

Whoops lol.

In all honesty, I think Russell Wilson is a guy whose reputation has been enhanced because he doesn't play in a mega market like NY, Chi, Philly, Boston, LA, etc.

Because he was seen on national TV a few times a year. Threw a great deep ball.

He escapes criticism for taking unnecessary sacks, poor pocket awareness, and inability to heighten his team into an NFCCG. Since SB 49, his teams haven't been to the third round.

The fact he's talked about as a HOF by media guys is crazy. Zero AP's. Zero MVP's. Zero TD passing leader. SB ring...as a bus driver QB.

Long story short, he's overrated.
I thought around 2015 or so that Wilson was headed toward top 10 - 15 status. It's hard to find another QB whose career arc has been more disappointing.

Top 5-10 for sure.

Brady
Manning
Young
Montana
Mahomes or something like that for me.

He's in that 5-10 range and not slowing down. Reid is great but Mahomes will be great after he's gone.

Don't think it's much of a debate again considering he's not slowing down.

I thought around 2015 or so that Wilson was headed toward top 10 - 15 status. It's hard to find another QB whose career arc has been more disappointing.
I think Russell might be better than Marc.

Maybe

Seriously: On point non-meandering,

Mahomes might have to be rated higher than Blanda if he wins two more titles

The heck with longevity

OK one more pointless fact:

People apparently believe that Dan Pastorini, Marc Wilson or Ken Stabler could have led the '80 & '83 Raiders to the title as well.

Never In A Million Years.

The 'Snake'?

The 'Sea of Hands'?

The 'Holy Roller'?

'Roughing the Passer'?

No.

Top 5-10 for sure.

Brady
Manning
Young
Montana
Mahomes or something like that for me.

He's in that 5-10 range and not slowing down. Reid is great but Mahomes will be great after he's gone.

Don't think it's much of a debate again considering he's not slowing down.
I am very much interested in what he does when the next coach comes in. I think the guy is a blast to watch and I really think he's the best in the game. They said the same things about Russell Wilson back in the day, and he let it go to his head, running around a leaving his linemen in a tough spot. The kid seems to have more on the ball than Wilson, and Reid > Pete Carroll by a lot. I legit do hope the kid continues his rise. IT's good for the game.

I am very much interested in what he does when the next coach comes in. I think the guy is a blast to watch and I really think he's the best in the game. They said the same things about Russell Wilson back in the day, and he let it go to his head, running around a leaving his linemen in a tough spot. The kid seems to have more on the ball than Wilson, and Reid > Pete Carroll by a lot. I legit do hope the kid continues his rise. IT's good for the game.
Yup I loved Wilson and still think he was a great QB but playing the QB is like a barter system and he was on the extreme end of taking sacks. Like QB's will exchange pressure for big plays. Efficiency vs explosion. INT vs Sacks.

It's all an exchange. Brady was the best at it. That's how I look at this or a good part of it. Not solely stacking up resumes but how someone dealt with adversity/pressure and what they did with it.

Mahomes has a crazy low sack rate like Brady. Wilson's is double Mahomes at 2.8 vs 1.5. Crazy considering how many plays he extends. Wilsons sack #'s were always really bad. You could put him behind the best OL possible and it wouldn't matter. Classic example of QB sacks. Then you look ANY/A and its a significant gap, 8.05 vs 6.86.

Mahomes is just from another world. Low sack rate but can extend and beat you with his legs. Top 3-5 QB inside and outside the pocket. Ridiculous arm talent like we've never seen. Arm strength but crazy touch and placement from several different arm angles.

Reid is absolutely top tier and a young QB dream. He's got as much or more experience than anyone. Extremely adaptive, open minded but he's never over the top. He allows you to grow make mistakes but has a firm grip on his team from top to bottom. Smart enough to know he needs real NFL help beside him.

That said Mahomes is from another world. He'd excel under guys like Peterson or Turner (imagine Mahomes & Norv!) or even a McDaniels or McVay. As long as you don't get in his way you're fine. And now he's 26-27. Soon he'll be a legit coach on the field himself. I doubt KC hires or keeps anyone he isn't feeling.

I was just tjinking about the greats and guys that could approach that status. Its unbelievable. It really is. I think Brady is safe as the GOAT GOAT but Mahomes is absolutely a worthy contender and will be nipping at his heals. I think hes a real QB2 candidate though at worst. Years ago it would have been blasphemy to say someone was better than Gretzky but Connor McDangle is an absolute monster on skates. I was too young to really see Gretz but seen enough of him and can appreciate what hes done. Theres a gap between him and Mario or Orr or we you want to put in there but McDavid is something else.

***Side note***
I have no plugs or sources and would never pretend to have any but I've heard through different people in different spaces. That he's a great guy. Very laid back, doesn't act like a big shot, quiet, respectful. Basically the opposite of his brother and wife. That could be bs who knows.

I was talking with a buddy of mine and he mentioned how Brady would have a lot more TD passes if he stat padded like Manning, Rodgers, Mahomes. Does anyone know if there is a way to see team rushing TD% in games started by Brady, Brees, Manning, Rodgers, and Mahomes? With the rushing TDs by the QB themselves excluded. I feel like Brady would have a large lead on those last 3. I’m not sure about Brees.

I have the feeling this would have to be done manually.

I was talking with a buddy of mine and he mentioned how Brady would have a lot more TD passes if he stat padded like Manning, Rodgers, Mahomes. Does anyone know if there is a way to see team rushing TD% in games started by Brady, Brees, Manning, Rodgers, and Mahomes? With the rushing TDs by the QB themselves excluded. I feel like Brady would have a large lead on those last 3. I’m not sure about Brees.

I have the feeling this would have to be done manually.

I wonder how hard it would be to do something like this for an all time coach ranking formula.

I'd say these factors would matter at varying levels of importance.

• Wins
  • Championships
  • Longetivity in the league
  • Longetivity with one team
  • Playoff appearances
  • Performance above or below baseline - where that team "should" be in the standings if they had an average coach. Same idea as WAR in baseball.
  • COTY awards?
  • Comparable peers?
  • How many from coaching tree are conference winners/SB winners/HOFers?
  • How many unique teams/players he worked with over the years?

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back