PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hall of Famers: 72 Dolphins vs. 07 Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

mykl

On the Roster
Reaction score
Over at ESPN, one of the worst writers to ever touch the subject of football (Jeffri Chadiha), brought up an interesting point...He says that one of the reasons that the pats won't go undefeated is that it is impossible to build the depth that the 72 Dolphins had because of the salary cap.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/colum...jeffri&id=3047461&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

"The first thing a team needs for a perfect season is a near-perfect roster. Those are pretty hard to come by in today's NFL, primarily because of one reason: the salary cap. Ever since the league adopted a hard cap in 1994, it has become increasingly difficult for franchises to stockpile the kind of talent that propelled the Dolphins to their magical season (Miami had six future Hall of Famers on that team)."

His argument is stupid because everyone knows that depth is about the bottom of the roster, not the top, but my question is, how many future hall of famers do you think we have sitting on our roster this year?

Brady obviously, Moss probably, Harrison?, Seymour?, Colvin?, Thomas?

That's six right there, same as the 72 Dolphins.

No way Colvin makes it and AD would have to be amazing for the next 6 years to even get a good sniff.

Over at ESPN, one of the worst writers to ever touch the subject of football (Jeffri Chadiha), brought up an interesting point...He says that one of the reasons that the pats won't go undefeated is that it is impossible to build the depth that the 72 Dolphins had because of the salary cap.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/colum...jeffri&id=3047461&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

"The first thing a team needs for a perfect season is a near-perfect roster. Those are pretty hard to come by in today's NFL, primarily because of one reason: the salary cap. Ever since the league adopted a hard cap in 1994, it has become increasingly difficult for franchises to stockpile the kind of talent that propelled the Dolphins to their magical season (Miami had six future Hall of Famers on that team)."

His argument is stupid because everyone knows that depth is about the bottom of the roster, not the top, but my question is, how many future hall of famers do you think we have sitting on our roster this year?

Seau, Harrison, Brady and Moss are locks. Others need help, but if they give away invites like they used to, possibly Seymour, Warren and Vrabes for the ring collection. Ty Law coulda shoulda woulda...

EDIT: old friend Corey Dillon is another near-lock

Last edited:
Harrison and Dillon aren't locks. Harrison should be a lock but isn't. It'll be tough for Dillon to get in.

Harrison and Dillon aren't locks. Harrison should be a lock but isn't. It'll be tough for Dillon to get in.

really?

you don't think Dillon's career numbers are good enough??

really?

you don't think Dillon's career numbers are good enough??

Dillon's career numbers will have fallen down the ranks some when he's up for consideration and he just doesn't have the reputation of a Hall of Famer in a lot of people's eyes.

Last edited:
Dillon is #14 ALL TIME in rushing yards

there are a total of 41 HB, RB, FB already enshrined

you don't think Corey is a lock?

Oh yea, shall we look at those Hall of Fame numbers of Griese. How many completion in that Superbowl, 6? Everyone was in awe when the old guy (former Colt, name eludes me, Earl...) came in and did a great job while Griese was injured. Could it have been that just about anyone could have qb that team. Vote me as unimpressed with Griese as a Hall of Famer.

Dillon's career numbers will have fallen down the ranks some when he's up for consideration and he just doesn't have the reputation of a Hall of Famer in a lot of people's eyes.

come on...****erson? Marcus Allen? Thurman 'where's my helmet' Thomas?

I hear what you are saying, but history absolves...and that season in which he got his ring and set a club record for a Dynasty should be enough to tip the scales...

Dillon is #14 ALL TIME in rushing yards

there are a total of 41 HB, RB, FB already enshrined

you don't think Corey is a lock?

No, I don't. It's crazy to think he's a lock. It's about more than numbers. Is Tiki Barber a lock? Is Fred Taylor a lock? Is Warrick Dunn a lock? Ricky Watters is in the top 20, why isn't he in?

Oh yea, shall we look at those Hall of Fame numbers of Griese. How many completion in that Superbowl, 6? Everyone was in awe when the old guy (former Colt, name eludes me, Earl...) came in and did a great job while Griese was injured. Could it have been that just about anyone could have qb that team. Vote me as unimpressed with Griese as a Hall of Famer.

Earl Morrall I believe

Brady is a lock. Moss will be in despite his issues. Seau is a lock, but not for anything he has done for the Pats.

Seymour - Good chance, but he needs to put in 3-4 more years playing at a high level to be considered.

Harrison and Dillon will not make it despite great careers.

Colvin - no chance. Vrabel - no chance.

Last edited:
This is pretty easy I think....

In- Brady, Moss, Seau, Seymour, Vinatieri (Seymour a pro bowler almost every year since hes been in the league, he'll get in)

Borderline- Harrison, Law, Dillon

Then guys like Warren, Wilfork, Asante, Mankins maybe one of them can get in if being a pro bowler and on a winning team for many years......

This is pretty easy I think....

In- Brady, Moss, Seau, Seymour, Vinatieri (Seymour a pro bowler almost every year since hes been in the league, he'll get in)

Borderline- Harrison, Law, Dillon

Then guys like Warren, Wilfork, Asante, Mankins maybe one of them can get in if being a pro bowler and on a winning team for many years......

We're talking just this year.

The Hall of Fame is very hard to get in to. I don't think many Patriots will get in, to be honest.

From the 2007 Patriots...

Tom Brady
Randy Moss
Junior Seau

That's it. I love Rodney Harrison but I feel as though he is hated enough around the NFL that he won't get in. ESPN speculated that Richard Seymour would be a sure Hall of Famer, but I say no. He does a lot of great things on the field that don't show up on the stat sheet, but he doesn't get the attention that a future Hall of Famer like Michael Strahan gets.

Locks: Brady, Seau, Moss and BELICHICK (no one has mentioned this one and it's probably the most important one).

Good Potential: Seymour

Low potential: Thomas (needs 4-5 yrs at absolutely elite level, with at least one DPOY)

No chance: Harrison (take a look at the careers of the other HoF DBs, Harrison ain't even close.)

Young guys who could become elite, but have a LONG way to go: Samuel, Warren, Maroney, Mankins.

Last edited:
Semi OT: That article by Chadiha is garbage.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Tedy for the Hall of Fame yet. I think he has a pretty good shot.

The depth arguement is weak. We went 14-2 and won Super Bowls with lesser teams with a lot of injuries and far less depth at some areas. Why would depth be more of an issue this year when we are that much better.

In 2004, we lost Dillon and Law and we fell apart against the Steelers. We have dominated with a 4-0 record without Harrison or Seymour this year and didn't have Maroney this past game, Neal the last two, and Colvin most of last game.

I don't think Harrison is going to get in. Unfortunately, he has a bad reputation, usually voted as the leagues dirtiest player. He has only made a few probowls in about 12 years so I think a first step to the HOF is making it to Hawaii every year during your 3rd thru 8th seasons. I think it all started with a one game suspension he got when he had a helmet to helmet hit on the leagues biggest and most popular star (a WR from SF).

Sey could but it is way too early. If the Pats win two more rings and he has 5, he would probably be in if he maintained his presence. Although this is ironic because as harrison is underrated, Big Sey is slightly overrated compared to the other DL starters who may have been as good as him last year.

Colvin? Most people don't know who he is. You can only get into the Hall if most people don't know who you are.....and you are a Right guard. I would think that Bruschi has slightly better odds than Colvin right now (about 15% versus 5%).

Thomas would need to be lights out until 2012 and then we can talk.

Everyone else is too young so we don't really know but in 2014 we could be looking back on a young Wilfork or whoever who went on to do great things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back