PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Halftime thoughts/Winners and losers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher_Price

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Here are a couple of winners and losers for the Patriots after one half of play:WINNERS: Rookie cornerback Terrence Wheatley. In extended action, he was on the field (by our unofficial count) for all 30 defensive snaps, and played well. … Rookie linebacker Shawn Crable got on the positive side of the ledger with a [...]

More...

Cassle SUCKs. Being here for 4 years and couldn't do a thing. What a disappointment!

He needs to go somewhere else.

Last edited:
Based on the "performances" of Cassel & CJack, the FO might be examining the rosters of other teams a little more closely tomorrow morning than it did yesterday morning.

My "chatroom" impression:

The young linebackers - Woods, Mayo, Guyton, Crable, Redd - were active and making plays.

The secondary - Bryant, Wheatley, Meriweather, Spann, L.Sanders - was inconsistent.

The O-line...**sigh**

The D-line, got some pressure, but I'll need to see the game when NFL Network replays it Saturday to get a good feel.

The QBs - sounded bad, but I'll need to watch the tape before hanging anyone in effigy (we also need to remember the starting O for this contest had very few "starters" in that line-up).

RBs seemed to have a shaky night behind the makeshift O-line.

WRs - not so good.

TE ???

Kicking game - Gost was deep on kickoffs and hit his FG shots. The coverage didn't sound very good.

Punting - Hanson seemed to do well, but coverage was mixed.

Paxton, other than getting knocked into Aiken - was his usual.

Aiken, Tank, Hochstein all left with injuries of some sort - ouch!

In the end, it sounded just like the kind of game I expected to see - BB set the game up to test people under some tough conditions, has a good list of bad mistakes to rub people's nose in, and also can point to the "loss" to help cleanse the guy's minds in the wake of an 18-1 season and being picked by most to revisit the Superbowl - sneaky bastitch. :D

My halftime thoughts from the game thread...

Halftime Grades

-- Matt Cassel will not make the 53
0 Gutz coulda been a contenda except for the Pennington style pick
- Chad Jackson Can't read blitz & CANNOT get separation
+ Matt Slater shows flashes
+ Lewis Sanders on his man
0 Merriweather still not showing much
+ Ray Ventrone as a skeptic, I'm impressed at Mr Versitile
+ L Jordan shows power
+ Mayo out of position a couple times but a rook; strong MLB hit
- E Alexander missing on STs too
0 P Woods please make a play someday (EDIT: see 2nd half!!!)
+ Le Kevin Smith my man
++ Shawn "My Man" Crable The Crab is gonna be a keeper; good call Reiss! Not
just the pick but SET THE EDGE!!!
+ Hanson Got lucky on one punt; luck counts

The defense looked better than I thought they would, from start to bottom.

Spann is quietly winning himslef a roster spot.

Loser - having to watch the game on a Baltimore network, with Baltimore announcers. Seriously, they would break away from Pats offensive plays to show highlights of a Ravens rook.....Everything and I mean everything was broadcast through purple glasses......maybe NFL network will be better on Saturday night.

Loser - having to watch the game on a Baltimore network, with Baltimore announcers. Seriously, they would break away from Pats offensive plays to show highlights of a Ravens rook.....Everything and I mean everything was broadcast through purple glasses......maybe NFL network will be better on Saturday night.

They will use either the Patriot or Ravens announcers, it's anyones guess which one.

Last edited:

You mean you missed the riviting Sam Adams beer CEO interview during O'Connell's 1st drive! :eek:

You mean you missed the riveting Sam Adams beer CEO interview during O'Connell's 1st drive! :eek:
You would think a CEO that knows he's going to be on live TV for a promotion his company was running would make it a point to not get hammered - at least until after the interview. Or was he trying to subtly market Sam Adams as 'the beer to drink if you want to get plastered'? I wasn't sure whether I should have been laughing at that guy or feeling sorry for him. Obviously WCVB had previously set it up as a chance to market the promotion, but you would have thought that Lynch would have been smart enough to cut the interview short, or the show's producer would have cut away to another camera just to bail the guy out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore