PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hakeem Nicks is a FA after this season

Then don't comment on what you don't know instead of providing a smart arse response.

It wasn't a smart ass response. It was stating that there's a possibility that 2 great coaches of Dante Scarnecchia and Bill Belichick may see something that they wish to try and develop.

If they always went by the fan's opinions, the team would be in serious trouble.

If Cave was nearly as bad as you're trying to claim, then I doubt he'd have gotten this deep into the process to begin with. Obviously he's not as bad as you think, and judging your opinion based off of a CBS draft site isn't too fair.

If you'd have said "I saw him and didn't like the way he came off the ball, or out of his stance," then I'd have understood your point; instead you chose to post a link that talked of some weaknesses in certain areas. Here's breaking news: every player listed in the draft site has some weaknesses that they touch on.

It wasn't a smart ass response.
Yes it was.

It was stating that there's a possibility that 2 great coaches of Dante Scarnecchia and Bill Belichick may see something that they wish to try and develop.
Braxston Cave was cut by the offensely inept Cleveland Browns.

If they always went by the fan's opinions, the team would be in serious trouble.
It was YOUR OPINION.

If Cave was nearly as bad as you're trying to claim, then I doubt he'd have gotten this deep into the process to begin with. Obviously he's not as bad as you think, and judging your opinion based off of a CBS draft site isn't too fair.
Braxston Cave was cut by the offensely inept Cleveland Browns.

If you'd have said "I saw him and didn't like the way he came off the ball, or out of his stance," then I'd have understood your point; instead you chose to post a link that talked of some weaknesses in certain areas. Here's breaking news: every player listed in the draft site has some weaknesses that they touch on.
I'll take Dane Brugler's scouting report any day of the week over YOUR OPINION.

If you're going to post the weaknesses of a certain player, then you should also note the potential positives too. It's quite possible that Dante and Belichick may see something that they like in the cerebral sense, and feel that his weaknesses can be improved upon.

Either way, posting a link from a CBS sports draft site is practically hilarious. Why don't you go ahead and post all of the links from Brady's weaknesses, and/or all of the positives that they've listed from the recent 1st and 2nd round busts?

I thought you were some kind of draft guru. Here you're just posting links from CBS sports....

It's possible that Cave will be cut tomorrow morning, but it's also possible that they're trying to develop him too. Until we are able to actually see him on the field, I'm going to hold off any judgements.
Bill Belichick is fallible as proven by some of the recent draft busts.

It was YOUR OPINION.

It wasn't "my" opinion dude. You were the one that went on the tirade about Cave sucking so badly.

I stated right from the get go that I had no idea in my very first response, but that I'd prefer to trust the talent evaluation of a good offensive line coach who has turned lesser players into capable backups and even stars.

My only opinion was that he must not suck nearly as badly as you're claiming due to making it this far in the process. There are a ton of other potential NCAA players who'd have loved to make it this far. Obviously, there is something that they wish to try and bring out from him. Whether or not that works, none of us have any idea.

It doesn't have nearly as much to do with Belichick as it does Scarnecchia, who has spun gold from straw plenty of times in the past.

He may indeed "suck" as you've repeatedly stated and be cut tomorrow, but he's also been good enough to get this far into the process which includes making it on to an NFL team's roster.

That alone speaks volumes, and we'll have to let the real talent evaluators decide whether or not he can progress at all. That is not opinion based, that is stating fact. People do this for a living, and Dante's been pretty good at what he does over the years.

There's a difference between being infallible and being one of the best guys for the job. Belichick is not the former, but he is the latter (yes, as a GM). Whatever decision he makes, there's a pretty darn good chance it's the right one.

It wasn't "my" opinion dude. You were the one that went on the tirade about Cave sucking so badly.
The roster transactions of the Cleveland Browns confirm Dane Brugler's scouting report.

I stated right from the get go that I had no idea in my very first response, but that I'd prefer to trust the talent evaluation of a good offensive line coach who has turned lesser players into capable backups and even stars.
Yet, you chimed in with a smart arse response.

My only opinion was that he must not suck nearly as badly as you're claiming due to making it this far in the process. There are a ton of other potential NCAA players who'd have loved to make it this far. Obviously, there is something that they wish to try and bring out from him. Whether or not that works, none of us have any idea.
The Cleveland Browns cut Braxston Cave only to turn around and sign UDFA Patrick Lewis.

The roster transactions of the Cleveland Browns confirm Dane Brugler's scouting report.

Am I supposed to be impressed because the Browns cut him and that somehow backs up a scouting report?

I wonder what the scouting report claimed for Wes Welker in terms of weaknesses, and his slow 40 speed of 4.65? We all saw the poor scouting report from Tom Brady, so I'm not seeing the relationship to where a player was drafted or what specific team passed on him initially.

Yet, you chimed in with a smart arse response.

My "smart ass" response was stating that Belichick and Scarnecchia obviously see something in Braxton Cave enough to try and take a shot on him and/or develop something they see as a positive on some level.

As I said, he may be gone tomorrow morning, but obviously he isn't quite as bad as your daily tirades state, or he'd never even have made it to this level in the first place.

We have no idea what kind of positives he may have or they may try to develop. He's a 3 yr player who anchored the line at Notre Dame, so it's logical that he may have some cerebral skills and that they may try and develop his talent a bit. Whether or not that works out remains to be seen, but he's currently on a 53 man roster in the NFL.

Scarnecchia has done much more with much less. I think it's more than obvious you're jumping to conclusions based off of a very basic scouting report. Thankfully, our coaching staff and paid scouts go outside of the basics of CBS sports' scouting report.

The Cleveland Browns cut Braxston Cave only to turn around and sign UDFA Patrick Lewis.

I don't think any one of us cares in the least about what kind of roster moves the Cleveland Browns made after cutting Braxton Cave, most importantly Bill Belichick.

Are we supposed to somehow link a player's potential with what kind of roster moves were made after the team got rid of him? What the hell kind of jackass analysis would that be?

That's completely ridiculous....are you even hearing yourself?

It's also interesting that you decided to cherry pick your stats and analysis with the exact same CBS sports/scouting link that you provided.

If you want to be fair, then you should have also included the positives, not just the negatives. Every single scouting site has both positives and negatives, and that holds true from every single player who is coming out of college including potential HOF type players.

CBS NFL Draft Scout Profile Braxton Cave (Center):

POSITIVES: Anchor of Notre Dame's offensive line in 2012. Tough and strong at the point of attack with good base strength and balance in his stance. Works hard to gain body position to create run lanes. Shows good awareness to pick up the blitz and is known as a smart, heady player.

NEGATIVES: Choppy footwork and average foot quickness are exposed in space. Spends too much time on the ground with slower than ideal hands. Type of prospect who leaves you wanting more, lacking a consistent nasty demeanor. Struggled to sustain blocks during practices at the Senior Bowl, playing tight and lacking the athleticism to recover.

How about anqwan boldin or James jones?

James Jones could be enticing, and he may come at a fairly reasonable enough rate--at least in terms of some of the big name WR's being thrown out there that probably don't have much of a chance of getting signed here. He's a FA in the spring, and recently had an average salary of 3.2m.

Boldin's future may depend on what he does this year, but he's costly at 6m this season and is also 33 yrs old. If he'd be willing to come at a much cheaper rate then it may make sense to look into it. Of course SF will likely have first crack at resigning him, so you'd have to consider that aspect.

Jones would be sick.

He may have off the field issues though is what I read on twitter. A lot of partying

Hell, I'd throw him a party myself just to come here and contribute.

:rocker:

I don't want to pay anyone. Amendola, a very good WR, is unavailable at six million a year (avg. pay), while Edelman leads the league in receptions. Let's see about the playoffs, that might change my mind. Amendola did, however, play under McDaniels in St. Louis and as such was acceptable to learning our offense. Others will take a season in this complex offense. The intelligence of our present WRs (as I understand it) will prevail, leaving them to concentrate on hands in a slower paced game (for them).

We're panicking. Last year we had a Defense that required us to play vanilla for eight games. How many games did we lose because of that and how did it work out for us. Sometimes, IBBIT, is required. After all, someone needs to be in charge.

I don't want to pay anyone. Amendola, a very good WR, is unavailable at six million a year (avg. pay), while Edelman leads the league in receptions. Let's see about the playoffs, that might change my mind. Amendola did, however, play under McDaniels in St. Louis and as such was acceptable to learning our offense. Others will take a season in this complex offense. The intelligence of our present WRs (as I understand it) will prevail, leaving them to concentrate on hands in a slower paced game (for them).

We're panicking. Last year we had a Defense that required us to play vanilla for eight games. How many games did we lose because of that and how did it work out for us. Sometimes, IBBIT, is required. After all, someone needs to be in charge.

Are you speaking in terms of the present moment or during free agency in the spring?

I'd agree for now, but it's possible that we could realistically target someone under 3-4m per year in the spring, depending on the progress of the rookies of course.

Are you speaking in terms of the present moment or during free agency in the spring?

I'd agree for now, but it's possible that we could realistically target someone under 3-4m per year in the spring, depending on the progress of the rookies of course.

Off season, 3-4m isn't too much but what kind of Star would play for those peanuts. Certainly not H. Nicks. We have our existing players (and TJ Moe) and can draft yet another WR for 300K or so. Look at Dennard and Buchannon in the seventh round. Let's pay our defensive players instead.

Am I supposed to be impressed because the Browns cut him and that somehow backs up a scouting report?
The actions of the Cleveland Browns speak for itself.

My "smart ass" response was stating that Belichick and Scarnecchia obviously see something in Braxton Cave enough to try and take a shot on him and/or develop something they see as a positive on some level.
The New England Patriots never fail on any roster transaction, a typical blind homer response.

We have no idea what kind of positives he may have or they may try to develop. He's a 3 yr player who anchored the line at Notre Dame, so it's logical that he may have some cerebral skills and that they may try and develop his talent a bit. Whether or not that works out remains to be seen, but he's currently on a 53 man roster in the NFL.
In this case, Braxston Cave has been a flop since Senior Bowl week.

Scarnecchia has done much more with much less. I think it's more than obvious you're jumping to conclusions based off of a very basic scouting report. Thankfully, our coaching staff and paid scouts go outside of the basics of CBS sports' scouting report.
An independent scouting report is better than your ignorant stance on the subject.

I don't think any one of us cares in the least about what kind of roster moves the Cleveland Browns made after cutting Braxton Cave, most importantly Bill Belichick.
You don't care and don't speak for anyone else.

Are we supposed to somehow link a player's potential with what kind of roster moves were made after the team got rid of him? What the hell kind of jackass analysis would that be?
You haven't formed any analysis whatsoever.

That's completely ridiculous....are you even hearing yourself?
Keep spewing your nonsense.

I didn't read all these posts but I think Kenny Britt on a one or two year deal would be a better idea. Sure Kenny has a lot of warts but that allows them to get him at a little bit of a discount.

This doesn't mean I'm giving up in Dobson or panicking, just disussing options if the new guys don't make dramatic improvements.

How about Jimmy Graham instead of a big name WR?

The rookie receivers will be fine in the long run but 2 TE sets with Gronk & Graham? The opposition would not have an answer at all.

The downside, however is Graham might be wanting $10m+ a year and you know someone like Tampa or even the Jets who have a ton of cap room next year would be prepared to pay that.

I didn't read all these posts but I think Kenny Britt on a one or two year deal would be a better idea. Sure Kenny has a lot of warts but that allows them to get him at a little bit of a discount.

This doesn't mean I'm giving up in Dobson or panicking, just disussing options if the new guys don't make dramatic improvements.

Kenny Britt is Dumb as Bricks he still doesn't know the Titan's Offense, he's just getting by on physical ability out there. That won't cut it with Brady.:bricks:

Off season, 3-4m isn't too much but what kind of Star would play for those peanuts.

I was responding to a poster who brought up James Jones, whose AAV has been 3.2 million.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back