PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hakeem Nicks is a FA after this season

how much is Brady making after the paycut? i thought he wasnt even top 10 anymore in the NFL....

Two different issues: actual cash received on the one hand, salary cap hit on the other.

Would rather resign Talib

You mean, besides Denver?

Denver's top three WRs combine for an $8M cap hit. So no.

Yeah, Denver wouldn't be an example, at least not yet anyway.

That may change when it is time to try and resign Demarius Thomas and Eric Decker though, so they may be an example in the future--but not currently.

Normally I at least have the dog or whatever low priced callgirl that I pick up at the local 7-11 to talk to :eek:

For my own part, I've accepted my lot as a forum class-clown; I'll never be remotely as knowledgeable about the strategies, personnel, finances, office politics, etc. of this game as the regular posters here, so I content myself with shooting the occasional spitball while mostly shutting up and learning.

Also wouldn't mind stealing Decker from the Broncos. He's unrestricted after this season and he was drafted by McDaniels.

Also wouldn't mind stealing Decker from the Broncos. He's unrestricted after this season and he was drafted by McDaniels.

If the price is right, I'd be interested for sure.

Not sure what his salary range would be though. I suppose a lot of that will depend on his production this year.

Besides Decker in Denver, Skippy also coached Brandon Gibson in Saint Louis. I wish that
he had pounded the table for Gibson to sign here as much as he pounded for ToughGlass.

If the price is right, I'd be interested for sure.

Not sure what his salary range would be though. I suppose a lot of that will depend on his production this year.

So, BB and JMcD sent Welker off to Denver to catch passes to depress Decker's catch and yard #s so that Denver will low ball him and we can sign him instead. Very Machiavellian. :)

And were it not for horrendous calls and a flu bug, it would have resulted in zero SB rings.

:confused:

If you want to talk calls, you can talk about the blown call in 2007, when Eli was in the grasp. So, playing that game, that's still at least one SB ring.

It's also 2 SB appearances for Peyton and 2 for Brady since 2006. So, we're looking at 4 out of 6 years.

My thought was for current teams in the flat cap era.

Who is currently doing it successfully at the moment? No one I can think of, but maybe I'm missing someone.

Last season, Welker was franchised, making $9.5m, and the Patriots got to the AFCCG.

And if the Pats think he's worth it, they'll have the resources available to be that highest bidder.
At the expense of the following unrestricted free agents:

Blount, LeGarrette
Washington, Leon
Edelman, Julian
Wendell, Ryan
Svitek, Will
Green, Tyronne
Ninkovich, Rob
Spikes, Brandon
Fletcher, Dane
Cole, Marquice

Very doubtful.

Last season, Welker was franchised, making $9.5m, and the Patriots got to the AFCCG.

That's a fair example right there. It's not exactly what I'd refer to as a "big" deal due to only being one year, but I'd certainly think that it's a fair example.

One thing to remember is that the 2 exceptions of Moss and Welker were both our own, and even those 2 examples were guys coming off of insanely productive years here that went down to the very last minute.

In the case of Moss, he also turned down PHI's offer of more money, so I think that showed that Belichick doesn't exactly throw around lots of money even to MVP type seasons in our own offense--let alone an outsider, and that is pretty much my point.

As a whole there haven't been many teams who are able to stay successful when they pay out big contracts to both their QB's and WR's, but as you said, yes--there have been exceptions.

My concern would be the past pattern (or possibly even stubbornness on some level) of Belichick on this issue/specific position, and the bigger than usual list of potential free agents that we would like to retain in 2015. Due to those reasons, I would personally expect a 2nd/3rd/4th tier of WR to be targeted for lesser money; something in the vein of a guy like Britt, E.Sanders, or the usual middle of the road signings that are cost efficient and lower risk.

At the expense of the following unrestricted free agents:

Blount, LeGarrette
Washington, Leon
Edelman, Julian
Wendell, Ryan
Svitek, Will
Green, Tyronne
Ninkovich, Rob
Spikes, Brandon
Fletcher, Dane
Cole, Marquice

Very doubtful.

Most of the time in FA we are able to hit 50% or more of what we "need" as far as keeping our own. This year we did better.

At the moment, the only "need" that I'd honestly see would be Ninkovich.

Wendell, Edelman, and Spikes would be very nice and most posters would have their respective opinions as to which one of the three they'd prefer to keep, but how many of those 3 are really "needs" that couldn't be replaced? It's absolutely no different than any other year.

If anything, the 2014 free agent period is a walk in the park; especially compared to this past year and the next year of 2015. Chances are that they'll likely be conservative in free agency next year in hopes of retaining as many as possible for 2015.

I doubt Bill Belichick will sign a high priced unrestricted free agent wide receiver next year:

"X" Wide Receiver
Dobson, Aaron
Thompkins, Kenbrell
Slater, Matt

"Z" Wide Receiver
Amendola, Danny
Edelman, Julian (unrestricted free agent)
Boyce, Josh

Running Back
Ridley, Stevan
Vereen, Shane
Bolden, Brandon
2014 NFL Draft Pick or 2014 NFL UDFA

Tight End
Gronkowski, Rob
2014 Unrestricted Free Agent
2014 NFL Draft Pick
Dudfeld, Zach

I surmise Bill Belichick will re-sign punt returner/wide receiver Julian Edelman and an unresticted free agent tight and revert back to the base two tight end offensive set.

Wendell, Edelman, and Spikes would be very nice and most posters would have their respective opinions as to which one of the three they'd prefer to keep, but how many of those 3 are really "needs" that couldn't be replaced? It's absolutely no different than any other year.
There is no contingency plan whatsoever for Ryan Wendell or Julian Edelman at this time. At least with Spikes, the New England Patriots experimented with Collins (SLB) - Hightower (MLB) - Mayo (WLB) during portions of training camp.

If anything, the 2014 free agent period is a walk in the park; especially compared to this past year and the next year of 2015. Chances are that they'll likely be conservative in free agency next year in hopes of retaining as many as possible for 2015.
That's your opinion and the 2013 Salary Cap rollover is dwindling by the week.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back