PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hakeem Nicks is a FA after this season

There is no contingency plan whatsoever for Ryan Wendell or Julian Edelman at this time. At least with Spikes, the New England Patriots experimented with Collins (SLB) - Hightower (MLB) - Mayo (WLB) during portions of training camp.

What is the contingency plan for Rob Ninkovich, and why wouldn't you consider him at the top of the list?

As for the other 3--I would expect that Belichick would definitely sign one and try pretty hard to sign a second. Whether that works out or not, and "who" it is will not be up to the fans.

As far as Spikes goes--I think he's as good as gone for multiple reasons, and agree with you that Jamie Collins was part of the contingency plan.

I think they should've structured Edelman's pact where they could've walked away after this year should they have chosen, but also didn't agree to only one year. Unfortunately that didn't happen, so Belichick will have to decide who gets order of priority just like any other year.

As we've spoken of in the past, I would really have to think that only ONE of Wendell/Connelly gets resigned (Connelly FA after next year), so Belichick will have to make that choice. Either way, I think Wendell is a plus for sure, but he's also not what I would consider a "need" either; especially if the plan is to draft highly in the spring and/or retain Connelly the following year. Any way you look at it, life could go on without Wendell.

Just like any other year there will be players who we'd like to see resigned who aren't, and players who we aren't as fond of stay.

That's your opinion and the 2013 Salary Cap rollover is dwindling by the week.

How would it be that opinionated when 2015 (and many other years) have been much worse?

How many years have we gone into free agency with only a handful or core players needing to be resigned? Not too many. Every free agency period for every NFL team in the salary cap era is important in the sense that they have a handful of players to try and resign.

2014 isn't anywhere near as bad as you keep trying to state. It is the same as any other year, and possibly not as bad as many years. You're acting like having a few/handful of core players is somehow out of the norm every spring. How do you come to that conclusion? Even better, what would you do to prevent having 3-4 core players of importance come up for free agency every year? It's impossible.

What is the contingency plan for Rob Ninkovich, and why wouldn't you consider him at the top of the list?
Rob Ninkovich is at the top of the list along with Wendell and Edelman.

As for the other 3--I would expect that Belichick would definitely sign one and try pretty hard to sign a second. Whether that works out or not, and "who" it is will not be up to the fans.
Bill Belichick has always advocated depth across the board.

As far as Spikes goes--I think he's as good as gone for multiple reasons, and agree with you that Jamie Collins was part of the contingency plan.
Why do you think Beauharnais is still on the 53 man roster? Maybe because Beauharnais will be the backup middle linebacker to Hightower next year.

I think they should've structured Edelman's pact where they could've walked away after this year should they have chosen, but also didn't agree to only one year. Unfortunately that didn't happen, so Belichick will have to decide who gets order of priority just like any other year.
The New England Patriots need a veteran backup "Z" wide receiver to Danny "fragile" Amendola as well as a primary punt returner.

As we've spoken of in the past, I would really have to think that only ONE of Wendell/Connelly gets resigned (Connelly FA after next year), so Belichick will have to make that choice.
That's pure conjecture on your part and the New England Patriots don't even carry a proven dedicated backup center currently on the 53 man roster.

Either way, I think Wendell is a plus for sure, but he's also not what I would consider a "need" either; especially if the plan is to draft highly in the spring and/or retain Connelly the following year. Any way you look at it, life could go on without Wendell.
How do you know what will Bill Belichick prioritize in next year's draft?

That's pure conjecture on your part and the New England Patriots don't even carry a proven dedicated backup center currently on the 53 man roster.

Most here feel that it's pretty much impossible to keep a high priced Mankins, a higher priced Vollmer, and BOTH Wendell and Connelly on board with Nate Solder coming up as potentially the most expensive of all of them at LT.

If you think that they will keep BOTH Wendell and Connelly (at a high price no less), then more power to you. Keep in mind that you're in the minority.

How do you know what will Bill Belichick prioritize in next year's draft?

I have no idea who Belichick will prioritize in next year's draft. He gets paid 1/2 a million dollars a game to decide those decisions. I'm just talking about it on a messageboard.

However, if we're going to prioritize who is most important to try and keep and you're bringing "contingency plans" into the equation, then obviously certain players would go to the front of other players.

Again, if you were running the team you'd choose to keep both Connelly and Wendell (and Mankins, and Vollmer, and somehow pay Solder as a LT). We get it....but most would not agree. I'm not saying that either of us are right or wrong, but I am saying that you shouldn't be surprised if only one of Wendell or Connelly is retained. It's simple economics. You keep harping on our being in such a bad state of managing the salary cap, and yet you'd want to retain both Wendell and Connelly? What kind of prioritization is that? If you truly believe what you keep claiming about the sorry state of the salary cap room, then that just doesn't make much sense.

Most here feel that it's pretty much impossible to keep a high priced Mankins, a higher priced Vollmer, and BOTH Wendell and Connelly on board with Nate Solder coming up as potentially the most expensive of all of them at LT.

If you think that they will keep BOTH Wendell and Connelly (at a high price no less), then more power to you. Keep in mind that you're in the minority.
Connolly's contract expires after the 2014 NFL Season which coincides with the expiration of Solder's contract. Solder's pay increase will occur in calendar year 2015 not calendar year 2014.

However, if we're going to prioritize who is most important to try and keep and you're bringing "contingency plans" into the equation, then obviously certain players would go to the front of other players.
Brady's health is more important than Talib's pocket book. Wendell and Connolly both stay.

Connolly's contract expires after the 2014 NFL Season which coincides with the expiration of Solder's contract. Solder's pay increase will occur in calendar year 2015 not 2014.

I never claimed differently. I simply stated that it's going to be very difficult to keep all of Mankins, Vollmer, Connelly, Wendell, and also keep Solder who will likely command the most out of any of them due to his specific position.

Brady's health is more important than Talib's pocket book. Wendell and Connolly both stay.

That's fine that you believe that, and it may not come down to a Talib vs Wendell/Connelly situation. As you've noted pretty much every day the cap situation in your opinion is dire, and there will be many FA's coming up for 2014 and 2015. The situation could be any number of players vs trying to keep both Connelly/Wendell.

The main point of all of this is that you keep harping about what a sorry state of affairs the NEP's salary cap situation is in for the next couple of years, and how bad the 2014 situation is. I've simply pointed out that in 2013 and 2015, the situation was/is about 5x worse. I see nothing out of the ordinary with the 2014 situation. It's the same as any year.

Just this past spring we retained Talib, Arrington, Vollmer, Edelman, Cole, and many other smaller players while letting go of Welker, Woodhead, Thomas, etc. How the hell is 2014 worse than that? And how will it be worse than 2015 too? The answer is obvious....it won't. The 2014 free agency period for us will be a walk in the park compared to last year and the next year, and that isn't an "opinion" as you say. It's an obvious fact.

I never claimed differently. I simply stated that it's going to be very difficult to keep all of Mankins, Vollmer, Connelly, Wendell, and also keep Solder who will likely command the most out of any of them due to his specific position.
Offensive tackles Nate Solder and Marcus Cannon were both drafted one year before Matt Light retired. A contingency plan was in place for left tackle Matt Light one year before he called it quits. The New England Patriots did not draft an offensive center nor an offensive guard in the 2013 NFL Draft.

That's fine that you believe that, and it may not come down to a Talib vs Wendell/Connelly situation. As you've noted pretty much every day the cap situation in your opinion is dire, and there will be many FA's coming up for 2014 and 2015. The situation could be any number of players vs trying to keep both Connelly/Wendell.
Did I ever say to extend Connolly's contract beyond the 2014 NFL Season? There is no contingency plan currently in place at the backup center position.

The main point of all of this is that you keep harping about what a sorry state of affairs the NEP's salary cap situation is in for the next couple of years, and how bad the 2014 situation is. I've simply pointed out that in 2013 and 2015, the situation was/is about 5x worse. I see nothing out of the ordinary with the 2014 situation. It's the same as any year.
That's pure bull. The New England Patriots are already on the hook for $7.5 million in dead cap salary for the Aaron Hernandez's signing bonus. The New England Patriots are already up to $8.5 million in dead cap salary for the 2014 NFL Season.

» Over the Cap- New England Patriots 2014 Salary Cap and Contracts

Just this past spring we retained Talib, Arrington, Vollmer, Edelman, Cole, and many other smaller players while letting go of Welker, Woodhead, Thomas, etc. How the hell is 2014 worse than that? And how will it be worse than 2015 too? The answer is obvious....it won't. The 2014 free agency period for us will be a walk in the park compared to last year and the next year, and that isn't an "opinion" as you say. It's an obvious fact.
The New England Patriots have already accrued $118.6 million in salary cap space for the 2014 NFL Season.

How much do you realistically expect the salary cap to go up in calendar year 2014?

Do you also forget to account for players amended to the injured reserve list, physically unable to perform list, the practice squad? For the last two years, the aforementioned accounts for over $5 million before the NFL season commences.

Due to those reasons, I would personally expect a 2nd/3rd/4th tier of WR to be targeted for lesser money; something in the vein of a guy like Britt, E.Sanders, or the usual middle of the road signings that are cost efficient and lower risk.
Golden Tate, baby!

There is no contingency plan whatsoever for Ryan Wendell or Julian Edelman at this time. At least with Spikes, the New England Patriots experimented with Collins (SLB) - Hightower (MLB) - Mayo (WLB) during portions of training camp.

Edelman should be re-signable w/o breaking the bank (then again, I thought the same thing
about Woody this past off-season); and Wendell is so easily replaceable it's not even funny.
Braxton Cave could be ready by then, and an early-round C/G to replace Connolly must be
a major priority in the 2014 draft.

If Dobson doesn't pan out as that true #1 receiver by the end of the season do you think we make a play at Hakeem Nicks? Giants just paid Cruz and they will have to think about the money JPP will demand in a couple years.

It's possible that teams would pay top dollar for a true #1 like Nicks.

I'm a fan of Nicks and can only imagine how good he's be here.

Here's a highlight of him vs Aqib Talib

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yoPdi9WtO50

There are a few players I’d be interested in:

Wide Receiver
• Emmanuel Sanders
• Anquan Boldin
• Kenny Britt
• Jacoby Jones
• James Jones
• Jeremy Maclin
• Hakeem Nicks

Tight End
• Jermichael Finley
• Dustin Keller
• Dennis Pitta

Can we make a trade for a decent WR?? Don't want to see Lloyd or Branch.:D

Atlanta?

BTW, we spend less at the QB position than other teams with top quarterback.

I can't think of too many teams in the league who are currently successful at the moment from doing that, can you?

I doubt Bill Belichick will sign a high priced unrestricted free agent wide receiver next year:

"X" Wide Receiver
Dobson, Aaron
Thompkins, Kenbrell
Slater, Matt

"Z" Wide Receiver
Amendola, Danny
Edelman, Julian (unrestricted free agent)
Boyce, Josh

Running Back
Ridley, Stevan
Vereen, Shane
Bolden, Brandon
2014 NFL Draft Pick or 2014 NFL UDFA

Tight End
Gronkowski, Rob
2014 Unrestricted Free Agent
2014 NFL Draft Pick
Dudfeld, Zach

I surmise Bill Belichick will re-sign punt returner/wide receiver Julian Edelman and an unresticted free agent tight and revert back to the base two tight end offensive set.

Colt Lyeria would be a good fit in the Patriots offense.

Edelman should be re-signable w/o breaking the bank (then again, I thought the same thing about Woody this past off-season); and Wendell is so easily replaceable it's not even funny.

Braxton Cave could be ready by then, and an early-round C/G to replace Connolly must be a major priority in the 2014 draft.
Braxston Cave sucks; Braxston Cave sucked at the Senior Bowl; Braxston Cave sucked in the preseason with the Cleveland Browns.

Atlanta?

BTW, we spend less at the QB position than other teams with top quarterback.

Atlanta? Julio Jones is under a cheap rookie contract.

My bad

I guess that this won't happen until his extension.

Yeah, there will several examples likely coming up soon. Julio Jones and Matt Ryan are one of them. Demarius Thomas (and/or) Eric Decker and Peyton Manning is another.

It will be interesting to see how it affects other aspects of their team, and also the future cap ramifications.

I'm personally not opposed to using more money at the WR position, but I'd have to personally think the odds are low that Belichick would go out and spend 10 million AAV on a "big named" receiver at the same time. Of course that could be wrong, so we'll have to see.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back