PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hakeem Nicks is a FA after this season

If we are lucky we could draft the best OG/OC0 in the draft (perhaps in the 2nd or 3rd round) and have converted one of the top three OL's in the NFL down to a below average one with a 3rd round rookie and Cave (and cutting Connolly). This NOT HAPPENING on Belichik's watch, or on Dante's.

Edelman should be re-signable w/o breaking the bank (then again, I thought the same thing
about Woody this past off-season); and Wendell is so easily replaceable it's not even funny.
Braxton Cave could be ready by then, and an early-round C/G to replace Connolly must be
a major priority in the 2014 draft.

If we are lucky we could draft the best OG/OC0 in the draft (perhaps in the 2nd or 3rd round) and have converted one of the top three OL's in the NFL down to a below average one with a 3rd round rookie and Cave (and cutting Connolly). This NOT HAPPENING on Belichik's watch, or on Dante's.

I highly doubt that we'd walk away from both Wendell and Connelly, but I also highly doubt that they'll be keeping both. The cap will just be too tight with all of those FA's coming up in the 2015 period.

We'll have to take a shot on a draft pick or two at the interior lineman position next April, and that's almost a given in my opinion.

The jets will pay him more than us and he won't even have to move.

The jets will pay him more than us and he won't even have to move.

Hope so -- I just saw him drop a ball on third down that AD would have caught in his sleep.

Hope so -- I just saw him drop a ball on third down that AD would have caught in his sleep.

If by AD you mean Aaron Dobson, he couldn't catch a cold Thursday night, as he was targeted 10 times and came down with only 3 of them.

As a whole though, I don't necessarily disagree with you in the sense that Nicks is likely overrated and too expensive, and that Dobson will hopefully progress as the season continues.

Roddy White signed for 6 years and $48m, in 2009.

Well, you'd have to count that then, sorry for the error.

Apologies to mgteich, looks like he was correct.

If by AD you mean Aaron Dobson, he couldn't catch a cold Thursday night, as he was targeted 10 times and came down with only 3 of them.

As a whole though, I don't necessarily disagree with you in the sense that Nicks is likely overrated and too expensive, and that Dobson will hopefully progress as the season continues.

OK, slight exaggeration (it's Sunday afternoon on the internet) but did you see that play? A worse drop than any of Dobson's (although he did, of course, have more of them).

Braxston Cave sucks; Braxston Cave sucked at the Senior Bowl; Braxston Cave sucked in the preseason with the Cleveland Browns.

OK...but tell me what do you think of Braxton Cave?

Cheap contract?

http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Julio Jones&Position=WR&Team=Falcons

http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Danny Amendola&Position=WR&Team=Patriots

Julio Jones's salary cap hits are higher than Danny Amendola's salary cap hits for the 2013 NFL Season and the 2014 NFL Season.

Julio Jones signed a 4 yr / 16 million dollar deal, so NO--he would not be considered worthy of our conversation.

We are discussing top level WR's who cost 8-9-10m AAV + in combination with a high priced QB, and the rarity of it during the flat cap era.

Why the hell would someone who makes 4 million AAV be worthy of that kind of talk? Since when does 4 million AAV define "high priced receiver" to you? 4 million AAV isn't even worthy of 50% of the criteria.

Major suckage.

I wonder what idiots like Bill Belichick and Dante Scarnecchia could possibly see in such a dud?

EDIT: If he is indeed half as bad as you claim, of course. I have no idea myself, but it's difficult to evaluate players who are somewhat raw when it comes to the offensive line, so they must see something in him.

Really like Nicks, but he's another guy that can't stay healthy.

I wonder what idiots like Bill Belichick and Dante Scarnecchia could possibly see in such a dud?

EDIT: If he is indeed half as bad as you claim, of course. I have no idea myself, but it's difficult to evaluate players who are somewhat raw when it comes to the offensive line, so they must see something in him.
How about some research on your part for a change?

Braxston Cave, Notre Dame, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

01/22/2013 - 2013 SENIOR BOWL, TUESDAY FALLER: C Braxston Cave, Notre Dame (North Team)...This year's crop of centers leaves much to be desired and the group in Mobile hasn't done much to change that opinion. Braxston Cave was the anchor of Notre Dame's offensive line this past season, but he has struggled to sustain blocks during practice this week, playing tight and lacking the athleticism to recover. He needs to be more aggressive with his hands and stay balanced in his stance to control defenders and not overextend himself. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

2 things:

--your definition of "research" is copying and pasting a link from CBS sports?

So we're going to go by the awesome experts and CBS sports and NFL draft scout instead of trusting in 2 of the greatest coaches in our era in Belichick and Scharneccia? That's priceless...

--why would you even begin to try and infer that I need to do research "for a change?" I'm not even sure what that means? Could you give me some examples of when I've failed to "do research?"

I'm on a GD messageboard, that's why I claimed that "I had no idea" about Braxton freaking Cave's athletic potential. I prefer to trust the minds of 2 great coaches who get paid millions of dollars to evaluate that kind of talent.

2 things:

--your definition of "research" is copying and pasting a link from CBS sports?
It's obvious by your response that you wish to remain ignorant.

So we're going to go by the awesome experts and CBS sports and NFL draft scout instead of trusting in 2 of the greatest coaches in our era in Belichick and Scharneccia? That's priceless...
You mean the same individual that recently drafted the following players:

Terrence Wheatley
Shawn Crable
Kevin O'Connell
Jonathan Wilhite
Ron Brace
Darius Butler
Brandon Tate
Tyrone McKenzie
Rich Ohrnberger
Taylor Price
Ras-I Dowling

--why would you even begin to try and infer that I need to do research "for a change?" I'm not even sure what that means? Could you give me some examples of when I've failed to "do research?"
Keep shooting from the hip.

I'm on a GD messageboard, that's why I claimed that "I had no idea" about Braxton freaking Cave's athletic potential.
Then don't comment on what you don't know instead of providing a smart arse response.

You mean the same individual that recently drafted the following players:

Terrence Wheatley
Shawn Crable
Kevin O'Connell
Jonathan Wilhite
Ron Brace
Darius Butler
Brandon Tate
Tyrone McKenzie
Rich Ohrnberger
Taylor Price
Ras-I Dowling

Yeah, and the same organization that drafted the likes of Tom Brady, and many other great players.

If you're going to post the weaknesses of a certain player, then you should also note the potential positives too. It's quite possible that Dante and Belichick may see something that they like in the cerebral sense, and feel that his weaknesses can be improved upon.

Either way, posting a link from a CBS sports draft site is practically hilarious. Why don't you go ahead and post all of the links from Brady's weaknesses, and/or all of the positives that they've listed from the recent 1st and 2nd round busts?

I thought you were some kind of draft guru. Here you're just posting links from CBS sports....

It's possible that Cave will be cut tomorrow morning, but it's also possible that they're trying to develop him too. Until we are able to actually see him on the field, I'm going to hold off any judgements.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back