PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Green-Ellis - Why or Why Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1 - NO COACH likes a RBBC. Not Belichick. Not any other coach. Every coach wants a go-to guy. A RBBC only exists when there is no every down guy.

This is patently absurd for the following reasons:

1.) RBs have a very short shelf life. If you have a RBBC of capable backs, you spread the load amongst them and can keep some tire on their treads. Also, if you have a stable of backs with various skill sets, it allows for more diversity in the playbook and play calling.

2.) If your marquee RB gets injured, you're up a creek without a paddle. With a RBBC, individual injuries have a far less catastrophic effect on the offense.

#2 - I cannot disagree more. He is a 1st round pick who has had a chance to be the big dog in a high-powered offense on a winning team, and yet, he has never distinguished himself. I have long held the contention that he could be groomed to replace Kevin Faulk as the 3rd down/change of pace guy, but he is not a #1 on a top team.

Either/or fallacy.

2007 NFL Draft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A simple glance at the first round should show you that Laurence Maroney is not a bust.

#3 - I find myself watching old NFL films of Corey Dillon and Antowain Smith.

Antowain Smith!

What does THAT tell you?

Antowain was nothing more than average, and Maroney probably has greater natural gifts than Smith had, but at least Antowain made his mark in a strong offense on a good team.
And Dillon was everything as advertised and more.

You're a hard core Pats fan. YOU HAVE TO MISS HAVING A STUD RB! Don't you?

Not really. It's a passing league now. Frankly I'd rather have three or four capable backs than one stud.

Look at the reigning Super Bowl champions: Mike Bell, Pierre Thomas, Reggie Bush.

...Look at the reigning Super Bowl champions: Mike Bell, Pierre Thomas, Reggie Bush.

Indeed...

2008 Steelers - RBBC
2007 Giants - RBBC
2006 Colts - Addai (Who's no better than Maroney)
2005 Steelers - Parker (255)/Bettis (110)

You've basically got to go back to the 2004 Patriots to find a one-back offense with a top back that won the Super Bowl.

This is not a "crap on Maroney" thread, although I do think he is deserving of as many of those threads as Pats fans can throw out there.

I just want to know why or why not as to whether you think Green-Ellis deserves his shot. Maroney has certainly had his shot.

Forgetting about Maroney for a second, don't you WANT to find an every down, grinder back?

Are you really that happy with the current situation...two old men and bust draft pick?

If BJGE could be the answer, don't you at least want to find that out?

Isn't that what pre-season is for?

The problem with this is that we really havnt given maroney his shot....he does best with many carries in a game, and we like committees.....

i would rather have BJGE over one of taylor or morris though...1 old guy is enough, i do want to see BJGE in the reg season see what he can actually do so we can finally decide whether he should b eont he roster or not

Green-Ellis is the last year of his contract, the same as Morris and Taylor. I care about their age only inasmuch as it affect their ability to perform in 2010. I expect at least one of the two to be out for a considerable period of time. But then, that's why we carry a full committee of four running backs. If Belichick thinks tha Green-Ellis will produce more that Taylor or Morris theis year, he will replace one of them on the roster.

Next year doesn't matter much.

The problem with this is that we really havnt given maroney his shot....he does best with many carries in a game, and we like committees.....

i would rather have BJGE over one of taylor or morris though...1 old guy is enough, i do want to see BJGE in the reg season see what he can actually do so we can finally decide whether he should b eont he roster or not

BJGE got he's shot in 2008 when maroney got put on IR after only 3 games and u know what happen LaMont Jordan, even had more rushing yards then him... the only reason he is still on the team is he can play ST/FB he's the #5 RB on the team there is a reason way maroney, was a first round pick and BJGE was undrafted

I think this is Maroneys last shot. Its time to forget about cereal and cartoons.

Bruschis comments speak volumes when he says hes tired of Maroneys act.

If he doesnt show improvement this season, I think he will go the way of Ben Watson who was another player that never lived up to his hype and potential. When Maroney was first drafted, he was supposed to be the whole package - run, block and catch. I for one thought, finally NE has its featured RB that can do it all. Wrong.

In his very few opportunities in the pros, he has looked strong.

This is where you lost me. We've been over this a thousand times: BJGE is what he is, and it isn't "a starter-caliber NFL player". Not by a long shot. And I suggest that you look again at his and Maroney's college stats, because they aren't even close to comparable.

Ellis also was a workhorse back in college, carrying almost twice as much Maroney. Maroney could not break in as the starter in 3 season at Minnesota.

All I wanted here was your reasons why or why not.

And, I really won't be able to "give it a rest" until the Patriots again have a full-time, effective running back.

Believe me, I look forward to that day.

ADPF - You don't know WTF you are talking about. First of all, Maroney was considered the STARTER in his sophomore and Junior years.. The reason they were "platooned" is because Minnesota ran over 600 times a season during each of the 3 seasons Maroney was there.

960 is NOT even close to "carrying almsot twice as much" as 660. It's 300 carries difference. Which isn't even 50% more.

If you did ANY research you'd also know that Maroney increased his reps each year.

BTW, you should give it a rest because all you do is prove that you haven't improved your football knowledge over the past few years because you are still whining about the same things you've been corrected on.

Last edited:
BJGE is a JAG. The only reason he is an employed JAG is because the guy busts his hump and the Pats respect that. He is about as good as his roster position which is a fifth RB on this team.

This is not a "crap on Maroney" thread, although I do think he is deserving of as many of those threads as Pats fans can throw out there.

I just want to know why or why not as to whether you think Green-Ellis deserves his shot. Maroney has certainly had his shot.

Forgetting about Maroney for a second, don't you WANT to find an every down, grinder back?

Are you really that happy with the current situation...two old men and bust draft pick?

If BJGE could be the answer, don't you at least want to find that out?

Maroney is only a bust draft pick to people like yourself who have continued to prove that you have no real standards and that your incapable of making educated and comprehensive arguments for your opinion.

The Patriots are a pass first team. All their primary weapons are based on the PASS. Bringing in an "every down" grinder back isn't what's needed. What's needed is someone who fits into the system and plays their role to perfection.

Don't get me wrong.

I am not convinced BJGE is the answer, either.

I just know that no one we currently have ahead of him on the depth chart (Maroney, Morris, Taylor) is the answer.

How do you know this? Are you psychic?

Why would BJGE deserve a shot? Instead of ranting like a loony, why not stop and look at the FACT that when the Pats were missing BOTH Taylor and Morris last year, BJGE did not get many snaps... THAT should tell you something. BJGE is not Ryan Grant. He's not Priest Holmes. He's a not even a JAG RB. He's just a guy who busts his rear end and plays with passion, though it doesn't amount to much.

I mean, as Pats fan, don't you WANT to find an every down, grinder back?

If Green-Ellis COULD be the answer, don't you at least want to find that out?

I know I do. If BenJarvus sucks, then we go back to the mediocre running back by committee crew of Maroney, Morris and Taylor and cut BJGE. BUt at least we'll feel better knowing there is just no solid RB on this roster.

Maroney, Morris and Taylor were better than mediocre. Instead of pining for something that you aren't going to see, why not go and learn some things about the team.

Last edited:
Honestly, Jack, even though we pretty much always disagree, I do respect your analysis and opinions.

So, I am going to give you the respect of answering each of your answers:

#1 - NO COACH likes a RBBC. Not Belichick. Not any other coach. Every coach wants a go-to guy. A RBBC only exists when there is no every down back

#2 - I cannot disagree more. He is a 1st round pick who has had a chance to be the big dog in a high-powered offense on a winning team, and yet, he has never distinguished himself. I have long held the contention that he could be groomed to replace Kevin Faulk as the 3rd down/change of pace guy, but he is not a #1 on a top team.

#3 - I find myself watching old NFL films of Corey Dillon and Antowain Smith.

Antowain Smith!

What does THAT tell you?

Antowain was nothing more than average, and Maroney probably has greater natural gifts than Smith had, but at least Antowain made his mark in a strong offense on a good team.
And Dillon was everything as advertised and more.

You're a hard core Pats fan. YOU HAVE TO MISS HAVING A STUD RB! Don't you?[/QUOTE]

Gotta love the revisionist history.

1) Dillon had ONE good year for the Pats. ONE.
2) The offense, when Smith was here, wasn't as pass happy because of the rules. Also, you seem to forget that Brady was still being groomed at that point.
3) Maroney isn't a bust. Your expectations for him are what is out of whack. He is a starting caliber RB who was drafted late in round 1 and was the youngest RB taken that year. Maroney was NEVER a north/south runner and you thinking that he was shows you never saw him play in college. Maroney is and always has been a cut-back runner who can run with power. Which is significantly different than a North/South power runner.
4) If BB didn't like RBBC he wouldn't use it. You should know that by now.

BJGE is a JAG. The only reason he is an employed JAG is because the guy busts his hump and the Pats respect that. He is about as good as his roster position which is a fifth RB on this team.
And what have u seen from maroney that takes him out of JAG status? Tons of potential......has been pretty average overall.....

And what have u seen from maroney that takes him out of JAG status? Tons of potential......has been pretty average overall.....

What does Maroney have to do with what I say. No matter what I think about Maroney, the simple, irrefutable fact is that he is more talented and more productive than BJGE. Granted that isn't saying much.

If Green-Ellis would now make the team, given our current roster, then Belichick will be bringing another running back to replace him after final cuts or a week thereafter. He's that good.

I think Bruinz ended this thread. Pretty much took a flamethrower to it.

BJGE is a sub-JAG. Seems like a nice kid that tries his bestest and isn't even close to very good. That is not a "why".

He's a somewhat acceptable lead blocker.

The structure of the 2010 offseason severely limited teams ability to remake their rosters. What options were there this offseason to improve the running game?

The only option would be to draft a RB over a draft pick. How much would it have taken to trade ahead of San Diego and get Matthews? Would you have taken Hardesty over Spikes?

Belichick would have loved to improve the running game, and almost definitely will next offseason. 2010 has been the wrong time. Better for the franchise to take advantage of an opportunity to build a defensive core.

The structure of the 2010 offseason severely limited teams ability to remake their rosters. What options were there this offseason to improve the running game?

The only option would be to draft a RB over a draft pick. How much would it have taken to trade ahead of San Diego and get Matthews? Would you have taken Hardesty over Spikes?

Belichick would have loved to improve the running game, and almost definitely will next offseason. 2010 has been the wrong time. Better for the franchise to take advantage of an opportunity to build a defensive core.

Couldn't have put it better than you did!

Maroney is only a bust draft pick to people like yourself who have continued to prove that you have no real standards and that your incapable of making educated and comprehensive arguments for your opinion.

The Patriots are a pass first team. All their primary weapons are based on the PASS. Bringing in an "every down" grinder back isn't what's needed. What's needed is someone who fits into the system and plays their role to perfection.

You love Maroney. I do not.

If you're gonna be nasty about it, Mr. Big-Time Moderator, then I would offer you an old Irish blessing: "Save your breath to cool your porridge!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News