PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Green-Ellis - Why or Why Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Small hands ... that's all you need to know.

When he's on the field it makes it easier for teams to scheme against us.

He's valuable where he is as a 4th or 5th RB on a team.

Fact of the matter is if Maroney was a fourth round pick or lower, people would love the guy. Since he was a first round pick, he is a bum. He isn't performing to where he was drafted, but he is not a horrible player. He will never give this team 1,300 yards in a season, but he can be a good cog in a RB by committee.

Fact of the matter is if Maroney was a fourth round pick or lower, people would love the guy. Since he was a first round pick, he is a bum. He isn't performing to where he was drafted, but he is not a horrible player. He will never give this team 1,300 yards in a season, but he can be a good cog in a RB by committee.

well we don't have to worry he'll hold out like Revis then.

Green-Ellis is the last year of his contract, the same as Morris and Taylor. I care about their age only inasmuch as it affect their ability to perform in 2010. I expect at least one of the two to be out for a considerable period of time. But then, that's why we carry a full committee of four running backs. If Belichick thinks tha Green-Ellis will produce more that Taylor or Morris theis year, he will replace one of them on the roster.

Next year doesn't matter much.

isnt maroney in the last year of his contract as well?

Just got Madden 11, Maroney is the 3rd lowest rated starting RB ( 78 overall)out of 32 ahead of Cadillac Williams and Ryan Matthews. Madden has specific people to do all the ratings, and they look at all the statistics across the board, and they are usually accurate.

Just another non-biased opinion on him. :)

Yes............

It will be a challenge to improve on the #12 running game in the nfl from scratch.

isnt maroney in the last year of his contract as well?

Madden has specific people to do all the ratings, and they look at all the statistics across the board, and they are usually accurate.

Bwahahahahahahahaha!

Oh man...

I would say they are pretty accurate, the whole pats roster seems right.

Overall, they do alright for a video game. But it's just that, numbers designed to create fun gameplay in a video game. Nothing in Madden should ever be used when arguing the value of a player in real life.

Just got Madden 11, Maroney is the 3rd lowest rated starting RB ( 78 overall)out of 32 ahead of Cadillac Williams and Ryan Matthews. Madden has specific people to do all the ratings, and they look at all the statistics across the board, and they are usually accurate.

Just another non-biased opinion on him. :)

Are you actually trying to use Madden ratings to justify your argument? That's an instant fail. BTW, it also has Reggie Wayne ranked ahead of Randy Moss, and the Jets ranked 3 full points (that's a large difference) ahead of the Pats, so... yeah. And Jermaine Cunningham is ranked 25 points worse than Sergio Kindle, somehow, and 21 points worse than Carlos Dunlap even though he put up better stats in the same defense.

And getting back to the point of the thread, did BJGE even make it into Madden this year? He wasn't in last year's, and he's probably in the 50s if they do include him...

Last edited:
#1 - NO COACH likes a RBBC. Not Belichick. Not any other coach. Every coach wants a go-to guy. A RBBC only exists when there is no every down guy.
This is what is wrong with your initial question: Total wrongness.

The only reason coaches go to an every down back these days is because they don't have two decent backs.

And Smith was not that good. Maroney for all his faults, is far better.

As far as BJGE vs Maroney goes, you are judging by draft position, not production. If BJGE was a first round pick, and Maroney an UDFA, you'd be screaming to play Maroney.

BGJE will get chances in preseason IF his practice play warrants it in the coach's opinions. So far, the only notable BJGE tc items are dropped passes.

I'd rather have him than Sammy Morris, but Maroney is still the started on the team. A five-year starter. Kind of weird to label a five-year started a bust, no?

I expect Green-Ellis to be among the patriot leaders, if not the leader, in pre-season yards. Perhaps that performace will help get him a job on an nfl team this year.

This is what is wrong with your initial question: Total wrongness.

The only reason coaches go to an every down back these days is because they don't have two decent backs.

And Smith was not that good. Maroney for all his faults, is far better.

As far as BJGE vs Maroney goes, you are judging by draft position, not production. If BJGE was a first round pick, and Maroney an UDFA, you'd be screaming to play Maroney.

BGJE will get chances in preseason IF his practice play warrants it in the coach's opinions. So far, the only notable BJGE tc items are dropped passes.

I'd rather have him than Sammy Morris, but Maroney is still the started on the team. A five-year starter. Kind of weird to label a five-year started a bust, no?

Are you actually trying to use Madden ratings to justify your argument? That's an instant fail. BTW, it also has Reggie Wayne ranked ahead of Randy Moss, and the Jets ranked 3 full points (that's a large difference) ahead of the Pats, so... yeah. And Jermaine Cunningham is ranked 25 points worse than Sergio Kindle, somehow, and 21 points worse than Carlos Dunlap even though he put up better stats in the same defense.

And getting back to the point of the thread, did BJGE even make it into Madden this year? He wasn't in last year's, and he's probably in the 50s if they do include him...

Yeah, the rookies are off, but the main players are spot on. I think Wayne is too high myself. BJGE is in the game at 69 overall.

I was looking at Green-Ellis' college stats and he is very comparable to Maroney.

In his very few opportunities in the pros, he has looked strong.

Considering those two points, why shouldn't BJGE get his shot to be the guy this season?

Maroney is stumbling and bumbling through another mediocre-to-average camp.

If it helps our team, why not let Green-Ellis carry the ball 20x a game and see what happens?

Isn't that what pre-season is for?

Maroney

@ Minnesota
-Platooned with Marion Barber for two seasons, and Gary Russell for one season
-Gained 3,933 total yards on 660 carries for a 6.0 YPC
-Scored 32 rushing TDs and 1 recieving TD

Green-Ellis

@ Indiana
-Gained 1,732 total yards on 456 carries for a 3.8 YPC
-Scored 12 rushing TDs, had 1 TD recieving

@ Ole Miss (2006, 2007)
-Gained 2,137 yards on 464 carries for a 4.6 YPC
-Scored 12 rushing TDs, had 1 TD recieving

@ Totals
-Gained 3,869 total yards on 920 carries for a 4.2 YPC
-Scored 24 rushing TDs and 2 recieving TD
Was going to read this thread, but I think I am wasting my time with one that starts out by saying 6.0 ypc and 4.2 are 'very comparable'.
Carry on without me, Im sure this one already has lost its battle with purpose.

I expect Green-Ellis to be among the patriot leaders, if not the leader, in pre-season yards. Perhaps that performace will help get him a job on an nfl team this year.

How about the starter who runs with the 1's.

As far anyone knows, Taylor is the starter and doesn't need ANY extra reps.

In any case, Green-Ellis looked fine and is competing for one of the four roster spots.

+1.

Maroney made me want to throw a rock at him yesterday. BJGE plays the series, Maroney comes in for the goaline reps. He dances and goes nowhere twice, then on 3rd down gets a 2 yard TD and acts like John Cena.

Was going to read this thread, but I think I am wasting my time with one that starts out by saying 6.0 ypc and 4.2 are 'very comparable'.
Carry on without me, Im sure this one already has lost its battle with purpose.

Well, actually, Andy, there was no "battle". I was just trying to get opinions about what folks thought about Green-Ellis.

It is kind of interesting that you, as well as some other grumpy ba$tard$ on this board, see every thread as a "battle" to prove who is right and wrong, though.

Enjoy your fantasy football league!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye