PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Green-Ellis - Why or Why Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
His blocking will get better with time as he learns to recognize certain schemes. The one big problem he has now is to be ready to release from an initial block quick enough for the delayed blitz. In the Bills game he was so focused on blocking the lineman who had sacked Brady the previous play that he completely whiffed on an interior A gap blitz that got Brady slammed to the turf. I am sure he got a cussing out in the film room over that, and will not forget anytime soon.

Benny seems like the player who does everything possible to not make the same mistakes twice. I'm also confident that he'll improve over time. Maybe he just needs to learn a thing or 2 from Danny. :D

I am very happy BJGE has developed the way he has. I was one who earlier felt that he could have a lot more in him than some people were even willing to consider, but I didn't see him doing as well as he has.

My point has been that BB sees enough in him to keep him on the roster and BB sees and knows a heck of a lot more than people on this board do. So while BB is by no means 100% all the time, I'll put my money on him and not some internet football message board expert who can't wait to show you how wrong you really are.

Of course by next July, there will likely be a number of people on here who say there's no way he makes the 53 in 2011. What I keep wondering is for the people who have said (many times over) is that you can find a guy like BJGE on any street corner during the NFL season, so why use a roster spot on him. My question is- where exactly are these street corners, and can you keep that secret from the other 31 teams in the NFL?

I would still like to know what it was that made people defend Maroney to the level they did, his weaknesses were always painfully obvious. Some of the comments in this thread are pure comedy gold.

Now that Maroney is pretty much out of the league, the old Maroney threads are great to read through. Some mods and 10K+ posters there were really getting upset and hostile towards those who disagreed with their assessment that Maroney was a great back and everyone else was just too stupid to understand.

Now that Maroney is pretty much out of the league, the old Maroney threads are great to read through. Some mods and 10K+ posters there were really getting upset and hostile towards those who disagreed with their assessment that Maroney was a great back and everyone else was just too stupid to understand.

To be fair, a few of those mods and 10k+ posters have turned around and given BJGE the respect he deserves.

I would still like to know what it was that made people defend Maroney to the level they did, his weaknesses were always painfully obvious. Some of the comments in this thread are pure comedy gold.

Maroney was the most wildly inconsistent back I've ever seen from season to season, game to game and even from play to play. I've never seen a running back change styles as much has he has. Usually, a "dancing" back is always a dancing back, but Maroney would sometimes run with surprising decisiveness. My guess is that Maroney has psychological problems that often more than counter his actually considerable talent. It wouldn't surprise me if he ends doing well with a new team next year, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he's out of the NFL altogether.

To clarify: Fred Taylor is the one who said BJGE was going to be the man, not Curran.

OT: I cannot stand his show on Comcast. So annoying.

Agreed. The question is, in 2011, do those same 10K posters and mods learn from being so incredibly wrong? Or does it merely start all over again in 2011 only the players names have changed?

Many of these same guys have prediction with anger that BJGE, Arrington, Ninkovich, Pryor, James Sanders, Ron Brace, Woodhead, Dan Connelly, etc. all were destined to be cut from the 53 man roster. Meanwhile they demanded that Adalius Thomas, Laurence Maroney, and Randy Moss were the stars of this team. Any chance these 10K+ posters and mods learn from being wrong so much? Or will the 2011 offseason just bring more of the same?

Last edited:
Agreed. The question is, in 2011, do those same 10K posters and mods learn from being so incredibly wrong? Or does it merely start all over again in 2011 only the players names have changed?

Many of these same guys have prediction with anger that BJGE, Arrington, Ninkovich, Pryor, James Sanders, Ron Brace, Woodhead, Dan Connelly, etc. all were destined to be cut from the 53 man roster. Meanwhile they demanded that Adalius Thomas, Laurence Maroney, and Randy Moss were the stars of this team. Any chance these 10K+ posters and mods learn from being wrong so much? Or will the 2011 offseason just bring more of the same?

LoMos career has been pretty incredible to see unfold.

1. Top Draft Choice 06
2. Very good rookie year 06
3. A little rough going with injuries, but excellent end of year performance 07
4. Hurt and facing adversity 08
5. Solid first 10 games of 09
6. Solid to marginal more adversity with the fumbles end of 09
7. Marginal to unwanted in 2010 by two teams

Now languishing in the NFL Abyss.

Last edited:

Who predicted "with anger" that half of the players you listed were destined to be cut from the roster?

Sounds like you're just making things up from where I'm sitting. I was wrong about about Maroney and I've made peace with that. I was also right all along about James Sanders. So it goes.

I'm not really sure why the usual suspects are here gloating about Maroney's failure, as I'm sure a journey through their respective posting histories would offer a litany of wrongheaded predictions/assessments/analysis.

I am a huge fan of Benny, and have been since 2008, but I would never gloat over another player's failure.

Every time I saw Maroney take a handoff, I wanted to see him make a good play, because I knew the talent was there, and every so often he showed it. The way he played at the end of 2007 made me excited that he was starting to figure it out, and it wasn't his fault that the injury bug suddenly struck him in 2008.

Even last season, IMO he was playing pretty well outside of the fumbles that cost him his place in the lineup. Sometimes he was a frustrating guy to watch, but I never had anything against him, and his success would have made me very happy.

I honestly don't understand the vitriol some posters have towards any player, be it Maroney, Woods, Sanders, etc. They're all human beings just trying to make a living doing something they love. You'd think these guys ****ed some posters mothers by the way they talk about them here.

Last edited:
I always wanted to see Maroney succeed, partly due to the fact that my dad had followed his career in college. I remember him telling me he'd love to see the Pats draft Maroney, and when they did, he was beyond excited.

Maroney had flashes of greatness, but like someone else said here, he was wildly inconsistent. I wasn't at all surprised to see BJGE go way up in his number of carries this year, as I had a feeling that would happen. Maroney just couldn't give us a consistent option at RB. He was fumble-prone, danced too much, and NEVER put his head down on a run. I knew by the end of last season that he probably wouldn't ever be what many of us hoped he would be. However, I also didn't except to see BJGE turn into such a consistently good RB this year, and in that I'm pleasantly surprised.

Maroney had flashes of greatness, but like someone else said here, he was wildly inconsistent. I wasn't at all surprised to see BJGE go way up in his number of carries this year, as I had a feeling that would happen. Maroney just couldn't give us a consistent option at RB.

Yep

He was fumble-prone

From Game 1 2006 to the Week 7 Bucs game in 2009 - 599 touches (carries and catches) during that time, he fumbled just TWICE. That is incredible.

But then over his next 121 touches, he fumbles 4 times. That is not good. Injury. Ball fundementals. whatever, it's unacceptable.

and NEVER put his head down on a run.

He did- occasionally. That was the problem.

I think at the end of the day, he had some tough injuries and got a little gun shy and was very resistant to change his running style. They tried to change his running style (see end of 07) and he had some success. He got hurt again. Had some success. Got hurt again. Kept his pads too high. Took direct hits. Got hurt again. Changed his running style. Started fumbling.

Laurence Maroney= Byung Young Kim.

Last edited:
If he played every game like the 2007 AFCCG he would be a perennial pro bowler.

Looks like you had a good read on RB's in August,Armen....well done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back