PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gostkowski: A non-panic thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldskool138

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Okay, what are your thoughts after four games?

Me? I'm not in panic mode. Sure he's had two blocks and really bad shank. His kickoff's are great and he's got PATS locked up. (No sarcasm)

His protection looked better this week. Give the kid a chance! :)

When we're winning games 38-13, there is no cause for concern. But I would be surprised if there is a single Patriots fan not biting their nails when he lines up for a clutch fg.

i heard adam v missed 8 FG in his rookie yr...lets just brace for it...he is a rookie thats all...

I knew he would miss the 48 yarder. I had my eyes covered. I could just see what was running through the kid's head....okay, make sure I hit it high enough, long enough...he obviously just overthought himself.

What he needs is to build some confidence though a string of successful kicks. Preferably shorter ones. He's a rookie. I'm definitely not panicking.

He was obviously nervous and rattled on that 48 yarder, but who could blame him? FGs are kind of like putting in golf, free throws in basketball, etc, its all about confidence.

All this kid needs to do is hit 3 or 4 FGs in a row, from any distance, and things will be smooth from there. The skill is there, so I'm not worried.

I love how far he is kicking off the ball - it's been a big boost.

not worried. I remember what AV was like when he was kept over Bahr. It wasn't pretty. I think that worked out all right.

He will get better as will everyone else.

SVN said:
i heard adam v missed 8 FG in his rookie yr...lets just brace for it...he is a rookie thats all...

I remember swearing "this guy sucks [add some more expletives]!" at the TV Vinateiris rookie year. Granted, I was, let's see, 10 or 11 at the time, so my judgement was rash, but I remember Adam struggling in his rookie year.

Last edited:
BradyManny2344 said:
He was obviously nervous and rattled on that 48 yarder, but who could blame him? FGs are kind of like putting in golf, free throws in basketball, etc, its all about confidence.

All this kid needs to do is hit 3 or 4 FGs in a row, from any distance, and things will be smooth from there. The skill is there, so I'm not worried.

Yeah, I mean...Adam V didn't have many touchbacks for the last two years. It helps out the special teams when you've got a kid with an cannon for a leg. BB needs to harness that power.

BradyManny2344 said:

I knew it, too. I was hoping that he'd start with a nice 30-35 yard chip shot.

Amen. Seeing that opening kickoff just sail through the end zone made my day. :rocker:

A lot of the "experts" focus on the loss of AV and how the Pats have settled for a rookie. They never mention that AV struggled as a rookie, and AV went to the Super Bowl that year.

At least Dennis and Calahan (the biggest sports morons in the New England area) won't be calling him Stephen Gotblockedski tomorow. His kickoffs sure are nice to watch and he's bound to come around on the FG's.

The FG are obviously an issue but every kickoff was in the end zone other than the one he kicked from the 15. I am confident he'll be fine and I'm loving those kickoffs. 6-6 in the end zone, 4 touchbacks I believe.

until i see this kid make a field goal of 35 or longer after having got two blocked and missing the last one, i'll be extremely nervous. luckily the pats are punching these in for td's in the red zone

MrBigglesWorth said:
until i see this kid make a field goal of 35 or longer after having got two blocked and missing the last one, i'll be extremely nervous. luckily the pats are punching these in for td's in the red zone

Oh, we'll all be nervous. I was nervous for the 24 yarder. But it's different than deciding he's a total bum in his rookie year after 4 games.

MrBigglesWorth said:

Luck's got nothing to do with it!

Tom B's the best QB in the league and I'd take a TD any day over a FG. So, the Pats have to drive longer. The Bengals downed the ball inside the 10 and the Pats still drove down the field.

I saw great leaps in the passing game this week, although last week Tom was better statistiacally. The "O" had a rhythm and kept the average-at-best Bengal defense on their heels.

Gostkowski will be fine. No worries here. :cool:

BradfordPatsFan said:
not worried. I remember what AV was like when he was kept over Bahr. It wasn't pretty. I think that worked out all right.

Well, as warm and fuzzy as it is to reminisce about Adam's rookie year, he was the kicker on a serious super bowl contender. Every year with Bruschi, Vrabel, Colvin counts...I don't want this season coming to an end in December because some rook was 'just getting warmed up into his career.' Adam was broken in at a different time in a different Patriot era.

I'm pretty happy with Gostkowski.

Getting kicks blocked and losing your footing on a slippy field is bad news, of course. But look at his made field goals and PATs. They are clean powerful kicks with a straight trajectory, almost all of them right in the middle of the posts. That shows good mechanics to me. He also has a calm demeanour.

Could be much worse -- we could have drafted Mike Nugent in the second round. :)

AJain said:
Well, as warm and fuzzy as it is to reminisce about Adam's rookie year, he was the kicker on a serious super bowl contender. Every year with Bruschi, Vrabel, Colvin counts...I don't want this season coming to an end in December because some rook was 'just getting warmed up into his career.' Adam was broken in at a different time in a different Patriot era.

I don't think anyone picked the pats as a "serious super bowl contender" that year, especially after 6-10 the year before. That team had a ton of weapons but no one expected much beyond a playoff appearance, especially after starting 0-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back