PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gosselin final mock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say what? I think Rick outthought himself here.

Thomas?...I would not be thrilled with that pick...he has to be wrong,hopefully

One important note, Gosselin actually projects the Cowboys to trade up for Bryant but does not specify with who and states that he won't be there at the Cowboys pick. That makes me like the Thomas pick more, but I don't think he's there at 22 anyway.

Very interesting that he's got the Dolphins taking Thomas at 12. I would be shocked if the Dolphins went WR at 12 after trading for Brandon Marshall.

One important note, Gosselin actually projects the Cowboys to trade up for Bryant but does not specify with who and states that he won't be there at the Cowboys pick. That makes me like the Thomas pick more, but I don't think he's there at 22 anyway.

Very interesting that he's got the Dolphins taking Thomas at 12. I would be shocked if the Dolphins went WR at 12 after trading for Brandon Marshall.

I keep hearing the Phins like Taylor Mays alot but at 12 its a bit high for him,they are noted to be wanting to move down from 12 for more picks though

At the end of the day we need playmakers, regardless of position (except QB No Tebow) so I could live with Thomas and his INTs.

Gosselin's mock is always my favorite, but this one is surprising. Despite the "best player available" mantra, that is true to a degree, and I don't see the Pats drafting a safety. They already have good, young players there, and those guys are getting better.

-Another draft has Clausen dropping into the late 20s. That seems to be a late consensus.

-Does everyone notice that every year the best wide receiver is always "the best prospect in years"? One recent draft pundit said that Bryant is much more talented than Crabtree was. That's odd since Crabtree was supposedly much more talented than Calvin Johnson was. That's odd since Calvin Johnson was much more talented than the guy the year before him. I think people have "Randy Moss" syndrome. I remember when Randy Moss was a prospect, and his measureables WAY ahead of anyone else. I don't think any of these guys are Moss-like, or they would be drafted in the top 3, regardless of character issues.

-The only thing that you can expect in the next few days is get very excited by seeing the "Top Players" available, only to be stunned the Patriots draft choice. Not saying this is good or bad, but it's the Patriot way.

-If there's any time I think the Patriots could trade up, it's this draft. People forget just how important Seymour's role was in the defense, and that he was traded well after the draft. If there's a guy who checks out at the 3-4 DT position, I think the Patriots will go after him hard. The past has shown the Patriots will use first round picks on their defensive line in a heartbeat. No way they go for a pass rusher; they have shown a disdain for this move many times.

You never know what Belichick will do

Its either he picks the best player on the board at the time of the pick or he goes with need.

If its need then Thomas has no chance,if its best player at 22 then maybe...but I would say no way he picks a Safety after taking a young decent looking one in Chung early in the second last year.

Myself, I would be thrilled with Thomas as the pick. Safeties that can defend the run and drop into cb coverage are hard to find nowadays. So rare that there are only about 4 or 5 in the league right now which are game changers. If BB likes Thomas then he will pick him and all will be good with me.

If Chung was so good he would of been challenging for a lot more reps than what he had at the end of the season. I think he will be good, just not great like most players at his position.

I like where Rick is going here...

- I can accept having Earl Thomas on the roster, despite having Chung, Merriweather and Sanders. He would be the best player on the board assuming WR Bryant is snagged by the Cowboys, who would move up to get him.

The rumor is that the Cowboys want to move up for Earl Thomas though and want to move up to 17 to get him, before the Bengals can pick him. Thomas came in for a visit with the Bengals and the Bengals are rumored to only be interested in using their first round pick on a player that came in for a visit.

All this said, Bryant continues to drop much like (dare I say) Chad Jackson.

This would make 22 really attractive to, maybe, the Seahawks or Broncos, who need a wide receiver.

- Ryan Matthews would be the smarter pick for the Hawks. CJ Spiller, though dynamic on the field, isn't a full time back. Matthews can carry the load, considering his size, with Jones coming in on third and long.

- Titans can reach for a DE with Kyle Wilson on the board. The prospects of trading for Haynesworth on Friday seems like a good reason to grab Wilson as well.

- I have Bulaga dropping even lower in my mock... all the way down to the Packers. Just don't think he projects into anything more than a good guard, but not even the best guard in this draft.

- Agreed. The talent drops off around 29. Thus the Jets are mocked to take a corner. Too bad. I was hoping they had a lot of faith in Cromartie.

I like where Rick is going here..

- Agreed. The talent drops off around 29. Thus the Jets are mocked to take a corner. Too bad. I was hoping they had a lot of faith in Cromartie.

Lol about Cromartie.

I''m suprised though that you think that Spiller isn't a full time back though.

iam quite sure if gresham is available pats will take him.Somehow i dont see bb taking kindle.

iam quite sure if gresham is available pats will take him.Somehow i dont see bb taking kindle.

Gresham could be something special. As much as the pick bores the hell out of me I can't fault BB for picking a talent such as him.

this is a bad mock i can see Eric Berry, to KC at #5 cause they just need talent. but i think they go OT

the dolphins take Demaryius Thomas, ? after tradeing for marshall, not happening if the draft braks down like this they will take Jason Pierre-Paul,

the pats takeing Earl Thomas, with sergio kindle, Jared Odrick, and Dez Bryant, still on the bord. and reaching last year for SS patrick chung, this wont happen. the pats will trade out of the first round befor they draft a S in the first.

The only reason the Pats would take Thomas here is because of the poor play of their safties. Opponents were able to exploit the middle of the Patriots' defense on the ground and through the air last season, as offenses frequently found success when testing the Pats on deep passes thrown to the middle-third of the field. On balls thrown inside the field numbers and at least 15 yards from the line of scrimmage, New England allowed opponents to complete better than 61 percent of their passes for six touchdowns and a passer rating of 119.9, the fourthth-highest rating in the league on such passes in 2009.

A couple of years ago, both BB and Dimitroff (by then, GM of the Falcons) mentioned, independently, their changing philosophy about safeties - moving away from the "division of labor" style that uses one SS/LB in-the-box guy (Harrison) and one centerfielder, to two, or even three, interchangeable guys who can all cover well, blitz occasionally and help out in run defense (though not as their primary responsibility). Such a safety corps may take some pressure off OLBs wrt coverage responsibilities, allowing them to focus more on the pass rush and run-stopping.

The Pats haven't quite achieved that yet, necessarily. Meriweather is very good in coverage, but not much of a run defender. McGowan is great in-the-box but fatally screws up coverages. Sanders is merely adequate in both areas, but at least a solid (and therefore valuable) reserve. Chung seems okay in run defense, but it remains to be seen whether or not he can cover. Lockett is enthusiastic on special teams, but his from-scrimmage capabilities are completely unknown.

All this leaves plenty of room on the roster for another high-end coverage safety like Thomas. There are certainly other guys (Graham, Wilson) who I'd like to see fall to us at #22 and I believe there are some fairly decent coverage safeties likely to be available in later rounds, but I wouldn't be at all dismayed to see BB take Thomas at #22 if he falls that far (and my preferred guys don't).

A couple of years ago, both BB and Dimitroff (by then, GM of the Falcons) mentioned, independently, their changing philosophy about safeties - moving away from the "division of labor" style that uses one SS/LB in-the-box guy (Harrison) and one centerfielder, to two, or even three, interchangeable guys who can all cover well, blitz occasionally and help out in run defense (though not as their primary responsibility). Such a safety corps may take some pressure off OLBs wrt coverage responsibilities, allowing them to focus more on the pass rush and run-stopping.

The Pats haven't quite achieved that yet, necessarily. Meriweather is very good in coverage, but not much of a run defender. McGowan is great in-the-box but fatally screws up coverages. Sanders is merely adequate in both areas, but at least a solid (and therefore valuable) reserve. Chung seems okay in run defense, but it remains to be seen whether or not he can cover. Lockett is enthusiastic on special teams, but his from-scrimmage capabilities are completely unknown.

All this leaves plenty of room on the roster for another high-end coverage safety like Thomas. There are certainly other guys (Graham, Wilson) who I'd like to see fall to us at #22 and I believe there are some fairly decent coverage safeties likely to be available in later rounds, but I wouldn't be at all dismayed to see BB take Thomas at #22 if he falls that far (and my preferred guys don't).
Thomas would seem to be duplicating Meriweather's coverage/play making skills...and his inconsistent tackling.

Same here, but I am on record as saying Thomas has a good chance to be the first WR off the board. And there's plenty of value to building a killer WR corps. Interesting stuff.

Same here, but I am on record as saying Thomas has a good chance to be the first WR off the board. And there's plenty of value to building a killer WR corps. Interesting stuff.

ever wonder what it would be like to text faster... man I hate those ads...

What about Demaryius Thomas at 22?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back