PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gordie Gronkowski: Rob has a high-ankle sprain. Will play (in pain).

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Bernard Pollard suffers a painful career ending injury.

I wouldn't go that far, but I hope he ends up on one of the worst teams in the league. That would be painful enough for him.

Although he is an o-lineman, Nick Mangold returned from a high ankle sprain in two or three weeks and didn't look worse for wear. Obviously, Roethlisberger returned right away, but looked like crap.

Two weeks to return for a mild high ankle sprain is not crazy. Zo said that watching Gronk play after he returned, he didn't see any drop of the leg or drag of the leg which is common with high ankle sprains because the foot is usually dead weight. That is a positive sign.

Nick Mangold was crap when he first returned from that injury. If this is the case, this is not good news for a player that has to run more than 3 yards per play.

Last edited:
thanks dad....

Listening to Zo who has had the injury and his (and my own) observations of the way Gronk was moving when he came back to the field Sunday, this isn't going to be an issue. Zo even doubts it's a high ankle sprain. Said when players have that they experience dead foot, inability to get lift or push off the toe and tend to drag the foot. He saw none of that with Gronk including when he jumped on his back post game... These are also tough kids who were raised to get back up and rub some dirt on it. But the media will now focus and speculate on this ad nauseum for 8 days, and that's not all bad... When Tommy suffered an eerily similar injury in the 2002 AFCC he said he was ready to go back in for the second half and was a little disappointed they didn't let him. There was no bye week that year, and he was good to go in practice on Wednesday and beyond good to go come game time. If it's at all painful that can be managed. Remember, Ben was fine too except when he screwed up... He's even playing in a meaningless game this weekend...

We remember Ty Law, but in his case the injury was misdiagnosed and actually required surgery and he played a position that required a lot differnt skill set than this TE.

I'll go with Rob's statement...I'm fine..I'll be playing in the SB.

If he's limited...use him blocking...and then slip him out when a critical few yards are needed....or in the red zone....

In Gronk we Trust :p

Nick Mangold was crap when he first returned from that injury. If this is the case, this is not good news for a player that has to run more than 3 yards per play.

Mangold wasn't crap. The Jets' o-line was crap all year, but Mangold played fairly well considering. Mangold's high ankle sprain didn't make Wayne Hunter a piece of human feces, D'Brickishaw Ferguson regress all year, Sanchez not be able to complete a pass over 5 yards, Shonn Greene prove he isn't a lead back, or make the overall pass protection fall to crap.

Last edited:
Listening to Zo who has had the injury and his (and my own) observations of the way Gronk was moving when he came back to the field Sunday, this isn't going to be an issue. Zo even doubts it's a high ankle sprain. Said when players have that they experience dead foot, inability to get lift or push off the toe and tend to drag the foot. He saw none of that with Gronk including when he jumped on his back post game... These are also tough kids who were raised to get back up and rub some dirt on it. But the media will now focus and speculate on this ad nauseum for 8 days, and that's not all bad... When Tommy suffered an eerily similar injury in the 2002 AFCC he said he was ready to go back in for the second half and was a little disappointed they didn't let him. There was no bye week that year, and he was good to go in practice on Wednesday and beyond good to go come game time. If it's at all painful that can be managed. Remember, Ben was fine too except when he screwed up... He's even playing in a meaningless game this weekend...

We remember Ty Law, but in his case the injury was misdiagnosed and actually required surgery and he played a position that required a lot differnt skill set than this TE.

We might also mention Terrell Owens' apparently serious high ankle sprain before Super Bowl 39. He ended up having a pretty good game.

Lest we forget Brady, by all reports, suffered a high ankle sprain against SD in the '07 AFCCG and played in the Super Bowl. I know, Brady doesn't run but it's another example of a player suffering this type of injury and coming back two weeks later to play.

Thread title could use some work too. Gordie is his brother. Gordy is his dad. And he never said anything about (in pain). Said he expects him to be fine. Threads are better based on actual reports than PFT spin on them.

Although he is an o-lineman, Nick Mangold returned from a high ankle sprain in two or three weeks and didn't look worse for wear. Obviously, Roethlisberger returned right away, but looked like crap.

Two weeks to return for a mild high ankle sprain is not crazy. Zo said that watching Gronk play after he returned, he didn't see any drop of the leg or drag of the leg which is common with high ankle sprains because the foot is usually dead weight. That is a positive sign.

Im sure they shot him up with pain killers.

Zo even doubts it's a high ankle sprain. Said when players have that they experience dead foot, inability to get lift or push off the toe and tend to drag the foot. He saw none of that with Gronk including when he jumped on his back post game

Yeah, I was about to say high ankle sprain my ass. I don't think his father knows what a high ankle sprain is.

Zo is right on. It's a separation of the two bones of the leg. Those bones likely don't give a damn about pain killers or adrenaline, you aren't jumping up and down on a high ankle sprain.

1:20

Watch gronk Video | Break.com

My bad, I guess there are minor high ankle sprains that could put you out of action only 2-3 days. If that's true, they are likely the kind you jump up and down on, not the type you spend 6 months and screws in the bones on.

I'm going with the jumping up and down being more of a clue to that.

Last edited:
Does anyone see the similarity between 07 SB with Brady in the boot against the Giants...to Gronk being in the boot...before 11 SB...against the Giants?

I hate bad goochers...and this one is just another in the litany of bad goochers lining up against the Pats.

I can't take another loss to those f*()&king Giants or their scumbag fans. I just can't.

Last edited:
We might also mention Terrell Owens' apparently serious high ankle sprain before Super Bowl 39. He ended up having a pretty good game.

That was like 8 weeks before the Super Bowl.

We already know that this injury interferes with Gronk practicing.

We can also be pretty sure it will somewhat interfere with his "feel" for his extremities and/or the ground -- either he'll be in a lot of pain, or he'll be medicated so that he's not in a lot of pain.

We further should realize that anything except rest is likely to extend his recovery time, increase the chance of re-injury, and so on.

But none of the above should have a big effect on the Pats' chances of winning the Super Bowl.

Last edited:

We can also be pretty sure it will somewhat interfere with his "feel" for his extremities and/or the ground -- either he'll be in a lot of pain, or he'll be medicated so that he's not in a lot of pain.

We further should realize that anything except rest is likely to extend his recovery time, increase the chance of re-injury, and so on.

But none of the above should have a big effect on the Pats' chances of winning the Super Bowl.

We know it interferes with him practicing on a bye week. That doesn't mean if there was no bye week in between the AFC Championship Game and the Super Bowl that he wouldn't be practicing.

If not practicing this week means anything, the Giants are in far more trouble than the Pats injury wise because they have had Hakeem Nicks, Ahmad Bradshaw, David Baas, and Corey Webster (all starters) missed practice this week.

That was like 8 weeks before the Super Bowl.

But for a totally different injury, a grade III sprain (tears) with dislocation fracture that required surgical insertion of screws to stabilize the ankle. Recovery from that is pegged at up to 6 months...

But for a totally different injury, a grade III sprain (tears) with dislocation fracture that required surgical insertion of screws to stabilize the ankle. Recovery from that is pegged at up to 6 months...

Yeah, I thought that the injury needed surgical repair. Two totally different injuries.

RICE is the treatment of choice for any minor ankle sprain, low or high. Rest, ice, compression and elevation. Common sense is why is he isn't practicing with a bye week. That's all we know.

Since he kept playing I'm going to assume its a grade 1 which isn't that bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back