PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell: Four preseason games not necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have no problem charging fans for these unnecessary games.

Kraft implemented tiered pricing to try to alleviate some of the BS of paying for preseason. But even that was really just an accounting trick.

Translation: People are starting to realize they shouldn't be paying full price for a pre-season game. It's time for you worthless slaves to put your body on the line even further by increasing the regular season games and decreasing the pre-season games.

This would be a rare agreeable Goodell statement if it didn't come loaded with the subtext of "...and immediately replace those 2 preseason games with regular season games".

a8b21ddf014509e27e25d4530651376d.jpg

Joint practices are way more effective than preseason games in evaluating your talent

This right here. 100x.

At this point preseason games are almost entirely for the fans. The absolute majority of spots on the roster are decided by the snaps in the 3-4 weeks of camp. Unfortunately with the preseason games being the only window for most of the fans they completely overvalue their importance.

How about replacing two preseason games with "Punch Goodell In The Face" sessions , where old guys like me can pay a fee to smash his face in repeatedly....he'd be laughing like the usual jackass he is and..BAM!...bam bam bam bam bam...stomp stomp stomp...kick in the nuts....the fans would love a chance to show their appreciation for ol' Rog the Lying Scumbagdell...

How about replacing two preseason games with "Punch Goodell In The Face" sessions , where old guys like me can pay a fee to smash his face in repeatedly....he'd be laughing like the usual jackass he is and..BAM!...bam bam bam bam bam...stomp stomp stomp...kick in the nuts....the fans would love a chance to show their appreciation for ol' Rog the Lying Scumbagdell...

Paying a fee is fine, but the real money is in the tv rights.

Hate to say I agree with him on anything, but I do.

Shorten it down to three games, and also make the NFL season start one week earlier. An 18 week schedule that gives everyone two bye weeks.
No thanks. The attrition rate through injury is too high already. Eighteen regular-season games plus playoffs is way too much punishment for frontline regulars. The NFL used to have SIX preseason games and a 14-game regular season. The only reason "20" is the magic number is because of $$$ and nothing else. What they SHOULD do (but won't) is have two preseason games augmented by a couple training camp scrimmages and keep it at 16 regular-season games.

Oh, and Goodell needs to be assassinated.

No thanks. The attrition rate through injury is too high already. Eighteen regular-season games plus playoffs is way too much punishment for frontline regulars.
You misread what I said then.

I was referring to an 18 week schedule with TWO bye weeks for each team. Everyone still plays 16 in what I’m proposing.

You misread what I said then.

I was referring to an 18 week schedule with TWO bye weeks for each team. Everyone still plays 16 in what I’m proposing.
OK, I did misread it as 18 games. But that would start the regular season on Labor Day weekend.

I see this brought up again and again and I constantly think this is the most idiotic proposal ever. Most players will lose two game checks one way or the other because of it, fans and advertisers will hate games where superstars are rested and the league cant be happy with it either.

Add another BYE week and be done with it. Everyone wins.

Inactive players not on the game day roster still get game checks. All players on the 53 man (or whatever roster size is approved) would get 18 checks. Not sure to what extent fans and advertisers would be influenced as a result but I am sure this could be estimated to determine whether the 2 extra weeks would be worth it.

Hate to say I agree with him on anything, but I do.

Shorten it down to three games, and also make the NFL season start one week earlier. An 18 week schedule that gives everyone two bye weeks.
For a number of years the league tried opening on Labor Day weekend and attendance and TV ratings were affected. I doubt they'll go back to that. Maybe they'd open up the week before and LD weekend might be a bye for everyone, I don't know.

Goodell, just stop trying to change anything. Your ideas are stupid just retire already. You’ve done enough

Inactive players not on the game day roster still get game checks. All players on the 53 man (or whatever roster size is approved) would get 18 checks. Not sure to what extent fans and advertisers would be influenced as a result but I am sure this could be estimated to determine whether the 2 extra weeks would be worth it.

So you are part of the CBA negotating team. Good to know.

Again, add a BYE week under the guise of safety and you can have 1 extra week for free without substantially increasing player play, adjusting anything about the schedule and still make one more week of additional revenue.

I think joint practices are the way to go for sure, however the 18 game schedule is NOT going to go away. However asking a player to go through an 18 game schedule and THEN play 3 or 4 more games to get to a championship would make the phrase, "limping to the finish line" a sad reality.

The best idea I've heard to at least compromise on this issue is to play 18 game season, but players would only be able to be active for a maximum of 16 games. Of course you'd have to increase the roster from 53 to maybe 60. And you have to deal with the details of how to create a new cap and share of the revenues.

Growing their membership by 12%, fixing the antiquated MJ and pain/healing policies, and increasing across the board salary; while still having their membership playing only 16 games a season should be enough to get the PA's support.

As for the fans, I actually think it would be fun to try and figure out the game day rosters over the course of the season. Who should sit and why are questions that would keep this board active all week long (not to mention watching fantasy players go nuts.;) ) The 2nd guessing potential would be AWESOME. Back up QB would suddenly become more of a key position for instance. Teams that coach up quality depth would have an edge

The more I'm writing the more I'm warming up to the idea. It would be an 18 game season with the players getting a minimum of 3 weeks off (including the bye)

Just sayin'

Owners, union, coaches and management should probably break out the pads for those two games. Maybe throw in the shareholders who have the most empty seats this season.

OK, I did misread it as 18 games. But that would start the regular season on Labor Day weekend.
That’s what it used to be, right?

They play games the week 4 preseason games the Thursday before that weekend anyways. College football players play that weekend as well.

On the one hand, I don't think 18 games per season is the absolute calamity some make it out to be. The Patriots have averaged over 18 games per season since 2001.

On the other hand, I don't think it is a good idea because it would be really tough on the teams playing 20 and 21 games. Granted, that would only be a small number of teams every season, but still.... and just imagine a team like the Patriots (not that we will ever see another team like these Patriots again but stay with me) who go multiple consecutive years playing 20/21....

And make the Super Bowl fall on the Sunday before Presidents’ Day. That would turn Super Bowl Sunday into something mystical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back