PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Going Into the Draft - Plan B

Status
Not open for further replies.
jczxohn1 said:
One player who might fit at either position and is said to be a "Patriots-type" player by Tomase in the Herald today is Kam Wimbley. A tweener with the beef to play inside. Would keep a first day slot open for the O. Said to be late-first/early second so he could be available by trading down.
He had a good Combine and Pro-day and shot up. Wimbley had his way running around the lead-footed Trueblood in the Senior Bowl, so they kept Klopfenstein in at TE and he ate Wimbley's lunch. I'd say a player like Gorin would handle Wimbley fairly well.

Is it a Plan A OR a Plan B??? one OR the other?? OR may they take a few LBs and see what shakes out in camp??? I tend to think BB looks at a problem from many angles with multiple solutions...

drpatriot said:
Jackson played in the 3-4 at Maryland and did just fine. Though admittedly there is a difference between the NCAA and the NFL, it REALLY bothers me when people say Jackson doesn't seem like a 3-4 ILB because that's exactly what he was when he was successful in college.
However, playing a position in college does not always equate to playing it in the NFL. Tim Couch played QB in hte NFL and was very good at it, but he wasn't so hot in hte NFL.

You have to look to see how his attributes, habits and abilities translate to the NFL.

Even if he played 3-4 in Maryland, he may be better at 4-3 in the NFL.

We don't see what Claridge did while injured, rehabbing, what training program is he on, how much film has he watched, how was he picking up the D. Claridge emerging as a starter with Beisel being a good backup would be the ideal situation freeing up Vrabel to go back outside.

The coaches see all this stuff. I like the comment Rodney made about Claridge being a contributor this year. If we added 1 of: Lawson, Kiwi, Hali, Carpenter at OLB and 1 of Hoyne, Schlagel at ILB we will be set with a good LB corp this year and in the future.

patsfan13 said:
If we added 1 of: Lawson, Kiwi, Hali, Carpenter at OLB and 1 of Hoyne, Schlagel at ILB we will be set with a good LB corp this year and in the future.
I totally agree an ILB and an OLB..and that will really help the LB situation...I think this IS the year that corps is younger...

Remix 6 said:
im in love with D'Qwell Jackson..hes undersized ILB ..6"1 240 but hes got game! he may even move to outside. hope we get ihm in round 2 if hes avaible

Jackson is under 6'1 and is only 230 lbs first off. And that 230 lbs is an extremely CUT 230 lbs. That generally means that it would be extremely hard for him to put on 10-20 lbs.

At under 6'1 and only 230 lbs, he'd be a better strong safety than a LB in the Pats system.

PonyExpress said:
The fact that a prospect is from Iowa is historically meaningless to the BB regime; since BB arrived the Pats have not drafted a single Iowa player.

While its true that the Pats haven't drafted anyone from Iowa during the BB regime, the Pats have drafted players from teams that Iowa has played against. Ellis Hobbs from Iowa State. Eugene Wilson and Christian Morton from Illinois.

PonyExpress said:
The fact that a prospect is from Iowa is historically meaningless to the BB regime; since BB arrived the Pats have not drafted a single Iowa player.
That is true, although Curran said the night before the draft two years ago that we wanted Bob Sanders from Iowa - unfortunately the Colts got him 10 or so picks earlier and we ended up with Marquis Hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft