PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Give Me Your Scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bostonian1962

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
So, we are all hearing the talking heads lately saying the Patriots have the worst defense in the entire NFL. If I'm hooked up to a lie detector, I would have to admit that it is the worst defense I can remember my team having.

Yet, they have a good chance of being the #1 Seed in the AFC come playoff time. Give me your scenerio of what it will take to get to the Super Bowl?

I'll start.

I think it will be a combination of things, and with Houston, Baltimore, NYJ, and Pittsburgh all losing this past weekend, it's already starting.

1. It will help alot if they get the #1 Seed and get to host all their games. That's already looking good, although the Dolphins are hot, no doubt.
2. I think the luck of the draw will help. Who will they have to play? For example, I think the Patriots would love to play the Jets again. Their offense can't keep up with ours.
3. Luck regarding the health of the teams they play. Houston is down to their 3rd string QB, and their stud WR is ailing. Pittsburgh's starting QB is severely limping right now. The Jets lost a starting safety for the year. So far so good, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if more happened over the next couple of weeks, to hurt the opposition.
4. Chung coming back and making a difference on defense, as well as a D Lineman or two coming out of nowhere, and stepping up big time. It could happen. I'm sorry we lost Carter, but now let's see if somebody steps up.

I'll stop there, so I don't steal all the good ones. Your turn!

snow-game-pats.jpg

This is the only way this patriots team will make the superbowl. If we can get one snow game and a freezing afc championship game, it wouldn't matter how bad the defense is because the opposing quarterback would be afraid to throw.

Last edited:
snow-game-pats.jpg

This is the only way this patriots team will make the superbowl. If we can get one snow game and a freezing afc championship game, it wouldn't matter how bad the defense is because the opposing quarterback would be afraid to throw.

Really? Who did they beat that year in the next two games?? I forget..... :bricks:

Last edited:
They take care of business in Miami and Buffalo, in typical unconvincing fashion. Leaving us utterly confused on what type of team will show up for the playoffs.

Whatever scenario I envision, assuming we stay the number 1 seed, includes Baltimore getting the number 2 seed. That way if Pitt beats Denver in the wildcard round and the Jets upset the Texans then Baltimore would have to beat Pitt for a third time this year while we'd get the chance to put the Jests to bed once and for all. Then we'd face the winner of Baltimore v. Pitt after they had beat the snot out of each other. Regardless we wouldn't face them for our first playoff game. The Ravens seem to get in Brady's head lately so I'd rather see not at all or at least after we play one post-season game.

If Pitt wins the division then we'd likely face the Ravens (after they beat Denver in Denver) for our first playoff game. That's scary.

Whatever scenario I envision, assuming we stay the number 1 seed, includes Baltimore getting the number 2 seed. That way if Pitt beats Denver in the wildcard round and the Jets upset the Texans then Baltimore would have to beat Pitt for a third time this year while we'd get the chance to put the Jests to bed once and for all. Then we'd face the winner of Baltimore v. Pitt after they had beat the snot out of each other. Regardless we wouldn't face them for our first playoff game. The Ravens seem to get in Brady's head lately so I'd rather see not at all or at least after we play one post-season game.

If Pitt wins the division then we'd likely face the Ravens (after they beat Denver in Denver) for our first playoff game. That's scary.

I like the way you laid it out. I think #32 has to start playing like last year's #32. I think Chung will have to make a difference when he comes back. We need one or two linemen that will now be playing in stead of Carter to surprise us. We'll need to be the #1 seed, and so this game against Miami is HUGE. To win the Super Bowl, Drew Brees and Rodgers will both have to get into a horrible collision riding snow mobiles against each other. :)

I like the way you laid it out. I think #32 has to start playing like last year's #32. I think Chung will have to make a difference when he comes back. We need one or two linemen that will now be playing in stead of Carter to surprise us. We'll need to be the #1 seed, and so this game against Miami is HUGE. To win the Super Bowl, Drew Brees and Rodgers will both have to get into a horrible collision riding snow mobiles against each other. :)

Or we get lucky and San Fran knocks them both off. I think we can beat Green Bay to be honest, it would be hard, but I think we can do it. The Saints would be more difficult because Brees seems to just torch us. 2 of the worst losses of the Belichick era were with Brees under center for the opposing team.

Quite frankly, despite the defense, the Denver game gave me real hope for the playoffs. Those were the first significant in-game adjustments I've seen from this team in a while. That used to be a BB hallmark.

Wildcard weekend

Houston beats New Jersey
Pitt beats DEN
Dallas beats ATL
NO beats Detroit

Div

Balt beats Houston
NE beats Pitt
GB beats Dallas
NO beats SF

Conf

NE beats Balt
NO beats GB

SB

NO vs. NE

Four predictions for regular season:

Denver loses to Buffalo
San Diego loses to Detroit
Kansas City beats Denver
Tennessee over Houston (Texans clinch division, can't get bye, nothing to play for)

WILD CARD WEEKEND AFC:

Kansas City beats Pittsburgh
Houston beats Tennessee

DIVISIONAL PLAYOFFS AFC:

New England beats Kansas City on last second field goal
Baltimore beats Houston

AFC CHAMPIONSHIP:

New England over Baltimore 20-10

Ravens defense = Overrated. Steelers offense = Overrated. Broncos = Overrated. Jets = Losers. Pats = Superbowl champs, #4 over the Dallas Cowboys who win an NFC championship against the Saints (Not Packers!!).

NO beats GB

NO isn't going into GB and winning in January. Drew Brees has a pass rating ten points less in games played outside and that's with the largest portion of them being played in SD where it's as close to a dome as it can be. In games with precipitation it's 30 points lower. Against the Bears in a cold weather playoff game he threw for 354 but it took 27/49 and he threw a pick.

He's a great QB but if he played in the north like Rodgers or Brady his numbers wouldn't be what they are.

Four predictions for regular season:

Denver loses to Buffalo
San Diego loses to Detroit
Kansas City beats Denver
Tennessee over Houston (Texans clinch division, can't get bye, nothing to play for)

WILD CARD WEEKEND AFC:

Kansas City beats Pittsburgh
Houston beats Tennessee

DIVISIONAL PLAYOFFS AFC:

New England beats Kansas City on last second field goal
Baltimore beats Houston

AFC CHAMPIONSHIP:

New England over Baltimore 20-10

I like your scenario with Tennessee. It seems likely that the New York will beat New Jersey and Tenn will win in week 16 & 17.

NO isn't going into GB and winning in January. Drew Brees has a pass rating ten points less in games played outside and that's with the largest portion of them being played in SD where it's as close to a dome as it can be. In games with precipitation it's 30 points lower. Against the Bears in a cold weather playoff game he threw for 354 but it took 27/49 and he threw a pick.

He's a great QB but if he played in the north like Rodgers or Brady his numbers wouldn't be what they are.

I was basing my scenario on the GB injury situation. Maybe they get that fixed up, maybe not. That's a great point about the climate though. I didn't think of that.

Quite frankly, despite the defense, the Denver game gave me real hope for the playoffs. Those were the first significant in-game adjustments I've seen from this team in a while. That used to be a BB hallmark.

I hear you, and respect what you are saying, but it didn't give me real hope. Brady and the offense had the ball so much on offense (Denver's 3 turnouvers didn't hurt), that our D was sitting on the bench ALOT in the second half.

I was basing my scenario on the GB injury situation. Maybe they get that fixed up, maybe not. That's a great point about the climate though. I didn't think of that.

I agree about their injury situation and don't think they're a lock for the SB. I just think it will be another team to take them out. The Giants almost took them out before and with their front four I wouldn't want to see them again if I'm a Packers fan. SF has the defense and can travel with that running game. Dallas and the Eagles could get it done on a given day or get smoked by 35 on another day.

Mabye this is the year that old adages ring false. Maybe this is the year defense DOESN'T win championships. After all, both top seeds in each conference have terrible defenses.

Remember in baseball, pitching wins championships....well, this year's playoffs proved the complete opposite as it was slugfest in this year's Fall Classic.

Even with that being said, I do see a scenario in which the Pats make it to the Super Bowl, BUT I don't like their chances IN the actual Super Bowl. At this point it looks like both Green Bay and New Orleans will beat up on them, with San Fran and Dallas both looking like viable challengers as well.

I say Jets miss the playoffs.

I say the Pats beat the Ravens, Steelers and Packers and hoist number 4. Gotta beat the best to be the best.

I chose this scenario because it has us knocking off the two teams to beat us in the playoffs the last 2 years (knock of one during the season 2-0 v Jets and knock off the Ravens in the playoffs) then it has us beating the two SB teams from last year proving we are truly the best team in football.

Next best scenario though I dont think this one is as likely would be to beat the Ravens, Steelers and then the Giants really allowing us to exact revenge on the last three teams to beat us in the playoff again the Jet revenge comes from our two wins over them aiding in keeping them out of the dance.

Scenario it would take for the Patriots to make it to the Super Bowl?
Um, win the next four games.
There's another way to do it? I guess lose the first two and win the next three? Or lose one of the next two and then win the next two or three depending on where the cards fall?
Bleh, I'll just stick with winning the next four games, that seems best.

What's the scenario for making the SB?

(1) Win the next two regular season games and get the #1 seed.

(2) Jets beat Houston in the WC round, come to Foxboro. NE simply plays like they did in the regular season against the Jets and wins by 7-10 points.

(3) Pats then face either Baltimore or Pittsburgh in the AFCCG. Tough game. Pats get a couple of key turnovers, Brady stands strong under pressure, Gronk makes some big plays, and the Pats win 24-21.

Then in the SB, it's a toss up. I would give the Pats no more than 50-50 odds against either NO or GB. They'd need to play well in every facet to win there. But if they play SF, I think they beat up the 49ers pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents