1. Not turn the ball over.
2. Keep Brady off his back.
3. Convert in the red zone.

Defense

1. Good 3rd down conversion percentage
2. Good red zone defense
3. Don't give up big plays

Out of their control

1. Which crews do their games. Bill Leavy's crew last year wasn't calling sh!t last year. They get a crew that allows the other defense to play by pre-Polian rules and they might go home.

I know the list on offense and defense is basic but really every team is flawed this year so if they play clean football at home they'll win.

Back to the original thread premise...

To get to the Super Bowl they need to:

Offense

1. Not turn the ball over.
2. Keep Brady off his back.
3. Convert in the red zone.

Defense

1. Good 3rd down conversion percentage
2. Good red zone defense
3. Don't give up big plays

Out of their control

1. Which crews do their games. Bill Leavy's crew last year wasn't calling sh!t last year. They get a crew that allows the other defense to play by pre-Polian rules and they might go home.

I know the list on offense and defense is basic but really every team is flawed this year so if they play clean football at home they'll win.

From another thread it looks like really the single biggest key for NE is winning the turnover battle. Since you never know when you're going to cause a turnover, it puts a premium on ball protection. If they don't commit a turnover, I don't know if they'll lose.

I went through the final two games of each playoff contender and based on who I think will win in the final two games, I see it shaking out like this:

1) NE 13-3
2) Hou 12-4
3) Bal 11-5
4) SD 9-7 (wins division over Denver based on 4th tie breaker Strength of Victory)
5) Pit 11-5
6) Cin 10-6

I hope Denver wins out and keeps the division because that would send Pit to Foxboro for the Division round, IMO. I have Denver beating Buffalo this weekend, but I think KC upsets them next week. I would much rather have Pit come to Foxboro then a hot SD team, unless our secondary improves dramatically with the return of Chung and this newly signed safety.

I went through the final two games of each playoff contender and based on who I think will win in the final two games, I see it shaking out like this:

1) NE 13-3
2) Hou 12-4
3) Bal 11-5
4) SD 9-7 (wins division over Denver based on 4th tie breaker Strength of Victory)
5) Pit 11-5
6) Cin 10-6

I hope Denver wins out and keeps the division because that would send Pit to Foxboro for the Division round, IMO. I have Denver beating Buffalo this weekend, but I think KC upsets them next week. I would much rather have Pit come to Foxboro then a hot SD team, unless our secondary improves dramatically with the return of Chung and this newly signed safety.

I like this scenario for the simple reason we could very realistically end up playing a 3rd string QB for a chance at the SB and if we dont the steelers or ravens have one extra game to play by not getting that bye.

I like this scenario for the simple reason we could very realistically end up playing a 3rd string QB for a chance at the SB and if we dont the steelers or ravens have one extra game to play by not getting that bye.

That is true. Given Baltimore's road woes this season, which is why I have them going 11-5, I think they lay another egg in Cincy. I think Pit will lose to Cleveland. Cleveland's D is pretty good and a healthy Hillis should be enough to beat either a gimpy Ben or a Charlie Batch led Steelers offense.

I could definitely see Baltimore beating Cincy in Baltimore Wild Card weekend and then being true to form and falling flat on their face in Houston.

My only worry is that I think the Chargers would beat the Steelers in SD and then a hot Rivers could come to New England and light up our secondary. If Denver holds on to the division then I think Pit would come to New England for the divisional round.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick