PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gilmore signing: Did the Patriots violate their own procedures?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This d line needs to give us something tonight.

I feel like the pass rush has been OK

I know a weak pass rush kills your DBs, but so many of those big plays were 100% the fault of the DBs that I’m not even complaining about the front 7. They’ve made plays in big spots. The DBs haven’t

Jeff Howe claims that Gilmore's signing went against the Patriots' own stated procedures for signing free agents.

In this podcast, Howe: Fair To Question Patriots For Gilmore Signing - Toucher & Rich - Omny.fm , Howe says that the Patriots didn't sign high-priced free agents without first bringing them into the facility and seeing if they would fit with the Patriots system. In fact, Howe says that the Patriots mocked other teams who signed free agents without doing so, just a few days before signing Gilmore sight unseen.

The main question: Are Howe's allegations accurate? And if they are accurate, then:
  1. Why did the Patriots break their own free agent hiring protocol to sign Gilmore?
  2. Did the Patriots do appropriate due diligence on Gilmore?
  3. Was Patricia informed of the deal and did he agree to it?
  4. Did the Patriots know that in Buffalo, the coordinator had to make special videotapes for Gilmore because he had trouble learning their system and "had issues changing coverages" (according to Rob Ryan, at about 3:00)

3760546.gif

Even though I completely disagree with the OP and his pet mediot, someone can absolutely violate their own rules. I don't think BB did it in this case, but if you have a set of guidelines that says never do X, you should probably expect to be asked some questions about why you did X.

That said people are buying too much into a plug and play mentality that they assign to BB where they take his ability to find underappreciated talent and assume he should only do that, and never make a big trade or signing.

Billy Beane can find a lot of diamonds in the rough, but his teams are never competitive because he made his own rules and he won't step outside them, won't sign big FA's and will only trade in certain situations. There are times when the best possible thing to do for your franchise is to go against your own prejudices and make a strong power move, and a good GM knows when and how to do that. A gimmicky one-trick pony GM doesn't, and Billy Beane will never win the World Series because he can not step beyond himself. Bill Belichick can, has and will.

Who cares. The last 3 games hes allowing a 67 defensive passer rating and has been shut down-esque.

It'll be interesting to see how they match up with Pitt. Double Brown w/ Malcolm and DMC and let Gilmore man up on JuJu and let Rowe deal with Bryant if he is healthy

How did I miss this gem of a thread?
Easy.
This was right after the loss to the Panthers and feelz damage was high.
There were numerous "gems" being posted here.

the processes the Pats front office use are holistic in nature......just like the notion of holding onto JAG

Billy Beane can find a lot of diamonds in the rough, but his teams are never competitive because he made his own rules and he won't step outside them, won't sign big FA's and will only trade in certain situations. There are times when the best possible thing to do for your franchise is to go against your own prejudices and make a strong power move, and a good GM knows when and how to do that. A gimmicky one-trick pony GM doesn't, and Billy Beane will never win the World Series because he can not step beyond himself. Bill Belichick can, has and will.

Billy Beane can't win in baseball because baseball is completely different than football.

Coaching techniques (i.e. positional coaches, hitting coaches) are still important; coaching strategy (unless you're a pitcher) is completely night and day when compared to football. Except for the mental toughness of playing in a big city versus a small market, you can literally plug and play a player from one team to the next.

Beane built a very competitive team on a shoestring budget using market inefficiencies from 1998 - 2002. Then he started publicizing his techniques, and eventually fell behind because the big market teams with huge budgets (Yankees and Red Sox) started adopting them. Beane moved on to other "market inefficiencies" in an attempt to stay relevant, but it's tough to do when the low hanging fruit (slow sluggers with high on base percentage who can't play defense well) is gone and you still have that same shoestring budget.

In the NFL, we have seen other teams attempt to imitate Belichick the way that the Yankees and Red Sox imitated the A's, but they failed because coaching strategy matters in football and players are not plug-and-play. That and the salary cap and salary floor levels the playing field.

Last edited:
Easy.
This was right after the loss to the Panthers and feelz damage was high.
There were numerous "gems" being posted here.
This is the kind of post that I like, though, because it shows how far the team has come. This is yearly around here, no matter how many times BB has talked about the first month being more like extra preseason and TC time. That counts for the team AND individual players. I'm not going to claim I wasn't hard on Gilmore at times, but I also said numerous times that they would work out the kinks. I'm just glad that it seems they have worked out the bigger things. Gilmore has been exceptional the past few weeks, and Butler has finally played a few good games at the same time as Gilmore. The tandem isn't worth anything if they're not playing well at the same time.

Ridiculous thread. Many of the alleged posters here wanting to lynch Gilmore are the same ones who threw Malcolm Butler under the bus. It was a great signing.
And yes,Butler runs a 4.4 40, despite a few lazy posters here who won't do the research and just go by what was timed at his bogus "pro day". That's according to BB.
And these same posters will be jumping for joy as both of our ProBowl cbs play major roles during our late season and playoff runs,very well culminating in another Lombardi.
The secondary is easily the strength of this defense and we're lucky to have both. We haven't seen their best together yet. We will. Soon.

Ridiculous thread. Many of the alleged posters here wanting to lynch Gilmore are the same ones who threw Malcolm Butler under the bus. It was a great signing.
And yes,Butler runs a 4.4 40, despite a few lazy posters here who won't do the research and just go by what was timed at his bogus "pro day". That's according to BB.
And these same posters will be jumping for joy as both of our ProBowl cbs play major roles during our late season and playoff runs,very well culminating in another Lombardi.
The secondary is easily the strength of this defense and we're lucky to have both. We haven't seen their best together yet. We will. Soon.
Couldnt have said it better. What do you expect from a forum that has members that are envious lowlifes who want to see Pats players fail just like they have over and over.

How did I miss this gem of a thread?
Maybe because you ignore certain posters that have an itchy finger on the panic button when things don' go right and start dumb threads on knee jerk reactions, just saying.

The tandem isn't worth anything if they're not playing well at the same time.

Nonsense!

If one were injured half the time, the other would be needed and VERY valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back