PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gilmore signing: Did the Patriots violate their own procedures?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What never said was Gilmore struggled with changing the calls and they made a tape to help him. Not a "special" tape or what that implies. .
I don't entirely understand the first sentence of the quote above. What do you mean by the phrase "What never said was Gilmore struggled with changing the calls and they made a tape to help him"?

It's not an assumption - Jeff Howe stated we violated our procedures in signing him. Now, whether Jeff Howe is accurate, I don't know. That's why I worded the original post subjunctively, that is, conditional on the Howe's report accuracy.

You're going to trust another football writer from the Herald? Yeah....okay.

I don't entirely understand the first sentence of the quote above. What do you mean by the phrase "What never said was Gilmore struggled with changing the calls and they made a tape to help him"?
I think he's taking issue with your choice to consider the tapes they made "special." In other words, you seem to be insinuating that Rob Ryan made some kind of separate "special" tapes for him to study, when in all reality, all he said was that "we made tapes for him."

In other words, I can see why you're arriving at that conclusion because if the tapes were regular, or provided to all players, it's doubtful that Ryan would've brought it up. That said, there's also no solid proof that he was treated any differently, like you seem to be suggesting.

Pressure rate is good but buffalo has us on sacks at this point 11-8 so they’re getting home at a more successful rate.

Add to it rushing yards allowed. Buffalo is allowing nearly 30 yards less than we are.

Now can we improve up front this year? Yes we can and I believe we will. But 4 games in I stand by the opinion there’s no debate the bills dline is playing at a higher level to this point.

Not that I care much about comparing DL against each other after 4 games with both teams playing a different set of opponents.

Just wanted to point out that sacks are nice but to actually produce turnovers and affect games in a bit way what you really want are hurries on the QB - especially if you have a talented secondary.

What Ryan said

This reminds me so much of the 2014 hawt take season. "We're on to Tampa Bay".

It wouldn't surprise me if they went out and laid a 40 burger er ah a 50 burger or is that a 50 whopper now?

@PatsFanInVa - I need clarification here.

Hopefully a 50 burger. With our defense 40 might not be enough.:(

This reminds me so much of the 2014 hawt take season. "We're on to Tampa Bay".

It wouldn't surprise me if they went out and laid a 40 burger er ah a 50 burger or is that a 50 whopper now?

@PatsFanInVa - I need clarification here.

From long usage 50 burger probably must stand, with whopper reserved for 60 or more points. Let’s hope we only have to use it in reference to our offense :)

Damn, Rob Ryan's hair is ridiculous

This looks like an adalius Thomas signing. I know everyone makes mistakes but that second hands to the face penalty was just stupid and against everything BB preaches about repeating mistakes and not improving.

Here's the thing. Exactly 10 years ago, four games into the 2007 season, everyone was singing Adalius' praises. In fact, later in the season if David Tyree doesn't happen, your Super Bowl MVP is either Thomas or Wes Welker. He was the guy who kept quoting "humble pie" during the 2007 season.

It wasn't until 2009, his third season here, that the problems arose - and it basically boiled down to him not accepting that he didn't fully recover from his injuries, was losing his skills, and was being criticized/having his role reduced/changed. Today Adalius Thomas is a buzzword for a bad free agent signing. In reality, for the first two seasons he was everything they thought he would be; they misfired on judging how he'd react when things weren't going well for him personally.

Finally - again, after 4 games we were happy with Adalius but in retrospect we think it was a mistake. Point is, it's still very early; let's hope it'll be the opposite and that after 4 games we're disappointed with Gilmore but later on we'll be singing his praises. We'll see.

So much for signing "smart football players". This is the kind of signing that can ruin teams.

Says the guy who just the other day that someday a team will win the superbowl and then not make the playoffs the next year. "It could happen"

yawn....Its people like you that are making this board cringe worthy.

Its still way to early to say if hes a bust or not, but will say when i saw the contract they gave him i said "holy **** what"

These people going after Gilmore are the same people that were mad that Bill didn't match the jest offer for Revis.
nope. I thought Revis was over the hill, as he has proved to be. And I thought Gilmore was a bad move, as he is proving to be.

nope. I thought Revis was over the hill, as he has proved to be. And I thought Gilmore was a bad move, as he is proving to be.

You will be wrong again. Gilmore will have a big game tonight. Book it

Seriously, another Gilmore thread?

News flash, super geniuses, if the whole problem with the defense was Gilmore, BB would have benched him long ago. This vendetta by whining Patriot fans is pathetic.

They've had some serious injuries, forcing big adjustments. They typically use the first few games to see what's what.

It'll come together (or it won't), but it's not the fault of [insert-dog-needed-for-beating-here].

Regarding last week's loss...watch the clutch Amendola catch from the weeks before, down near the Houston 20. Guy's got his facemask all the way to the ground. See any flags?

Fast forward to Carolina: That penalty call on Gilmore was absurd in a situation like that. The NHL learned long ago that you don't let the refs decide a game on a ticky-tack call. The NFL never got the message, and that's one of several big reasons they're starting to slump.

Pressure rate is good but buffalo has us on sacks at this point 11-8 so they’re getting home at a more successful rate.

Add to it rushing yards allowed. Buffalo is allowing nearly 30 yards less than we are.

Now can we improve up front this year? Yes we can and I believe we will. But 4 games in I stand by the opinion there’s no debate the bills dline is playing at a higher level to this point.

IMHO, hits and pressures are more important than sacks.

As has been pointed out, some of the top free agents sign with teams without a tryout, perhaps subject to a health checkup. So, the patriots could have simply moved on to someone else, or take the risk.

Jeff Howe claims that Gilmore's signing went against the Patriots' own stated procedures for signing free agents.

In this podcast, Howe: Fair To Question Patriots For Gilmore Signing - Toucher & Rich - Omny.fm , Howe says that the Patriots didn't sign high-priced free agents without first bringing them into the facility and seeing if they would fit with the Patriots system. In fact, Howe says that the Patriots mocked other teams who signed free agents without doing so, just a few days before signing Gilmore sight unseen.

The main question: Are Howe's allegations accurate? And if they are accurate, then:
  1. Why did the Patriots break their own free agent hiring protocol to sign Gilmore?
  2. Did the Patriots do appropriate due diligence on Gilmore?
  3. Was Patricia informed of the deal and did he agree to it?
  4. Did the Patriots know that in Buffalo, the coordinator had to make special videotapes for Gilmore because he had trouble learning their system and "had issues changing coverages" (according to Rob Ryan, at about 3:00)

Seriously, another Gilmore thread?

News flash, super geniuses, if the whole problem with the defense was Gilmore, BB would have benched him long ago. This vendetta by whining Patriot fans is pathetic.

They've had some serious injuries, forcing big adjustments. They typically use the first few games to see what's what.

It'll come together (or it won't), but it's not the fault of [insert-dog-needed-for-beating-here].

Regarding last week's loss...watch the clutch Amendola catch from the weeks before, down near the Houston 20. Guy's got his facemask all the way to the ground. See any flags?

Fast forward to Carolina: That penalty call on Gilmore was absurd in a situation like that. The NHL learned long ago that you don't let the refs decide a game on a ticky-tack call. The NFL never got the message, and that's one of several big reasons they're starting to slump.

You shouldn't be surprised it was called. It's boger. He makes the game about himself. There was no need for Gilmore to do that looking at the replay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back