PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gilmore signing: Did the Patriots violate their own procedures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K. Dog

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Jeff Howe claims that Gilmore's signing went against the Patriots' own stated procedures for signing free agents.

In this podcast, Howe: Fair To Question Patriots For Gilmore Signing - Toucher & Rich - Omny.fm , Howe says that the Patriots didn't sign high-priced free agents without first bringing them into the facility and seeing if they would fit with the Patriots system. In fact, Howe says that the Patriots mocked other teams who signed free agents without doing so, just a few days before signing Gilmore sight unseen.

The main question: Are Howe's allegations accurate? And if they are accurate, then:
  1. Why did the Patriots break their own free agent hiring protocol to sign Gilmore?
  2. Did the Patriots do appropriate due diligence on Gilmore?
  3. Was Patricia informed of the deal and did he agree to it?
  4. Did the Patriots know that in Buffalo, the coordinator had to make special videotapes for Gilmore because he had trouble learning their system and "had issues changing coverages" (according to Rob Ryan, at about 3:00)

Last edited:
Reportedly, they called his agent that morning and made them an offer they couldn't refuse. The negotiations were supposedly very straightforward.

I think they may have called Malcolm Butler's agent first, to get the correct number for Gilmore's camp. ;)

I'm not fully on board the "Gillmore was a huge mistake/bust" train yet, however I always felt a bit uncertain about him as a player. The addition of him definitely didn't feel like they were bringing in 2014 Revis, or hypothetically, a guy like Sherman or Talib (again). I'm also surprised the Pats weren't turned off after witnessing this live last year:

OIQVDNS-SzWneaUiaHGx1g.png

Jeff Howe claims that Gilmore's signing went against the Patriots' own stated procedures for signing free agents.

In this podcast, Howe: Fair To Question Patriots For Gilmore Signing - Toucher & Rich - Omny.fm , Howe says that the Patriots didn't sign high-priced free agents without first bringing them into the facility and seeing if they would fit with the Patriots system. In fact, Howe says that the Patriots mocked other teams who signed free agents without doing so, just a few days before signing Gilmore sight unseen.

The main question: Are Howe's allegations accurate? And if they are accurate, then:
  1. Why did the Patriots break their own free agent hiring protocol to sign Gilmore?
  2. Did the Patriots do appropriate due diligence on Gilmore?
  3. Was Patricia informed of the deal and did he agree to it?
  4. Did the Patriots know that in Buffalo, the coordinator had to make special videotapes for Gilmore because he had trouble learning their system and "had issues changing coverages" (according to Rob Ryan, at about 3:00)

1. How do you know what their internal hiring protocols are? Maybe they changed.
2. Yes. That's a dumb question.
3. See question 2
4. You think Mr. Just Got Fired by the Bills and is out of the League is going to say anything that makes either the Bills or Pats look good?

Don't believe anything the media says. They're just trying to get clicks and breed dissension. Especially in Boston.

Also, gain a little perspective. It's. Been. Four (4). Games. Waaaaaaaay too early to declare anyone a bust at this point. I mean, he's not the only guy playing back there. He just has the biggest target on his back because he just signed a big contract. The other DB's and S haven't been exactly lighting the world on fire either.

Howe says that the Patriots mocked other teams who signed free agents without doing so, just a few days before signing Gilmore sight unseen.

What's his proof?

Why did the Patriots break their own free agent hiring protocol to sign Gilmore?

Problem with Jeff Howe's little "protocol" take is they also did it with Brandin Cooks. When they gave up a 1st round pick and picked up his 5th year which will be a $8.5m cap hit next year which will be #5 on the team and at this moment that will be a top 15 cap hit for WR next year

So how come Howe isn't talking about that one too? They forewent 4-5 years of control of a player for 2 years of Cooks. I mean there is no guarantee he will agree to any extension the Pats offer, that seems like it would be something that was against "Pats protocol". He isn't ringing that bell because he'd look like a complete jackass. But make no mistake if Cooks was struggling the mediots would be.

Did the Patriots do appropriate due diligence on Gilmore?

Gilmore had his best season playing under a Bill Belichick disciple, Jim Schwartz.

Was Patricia informed of the deal and did he agree to it?

Is this serious?

Did the Patriots know that in Buffalo, the coordinator had to make special videotapes for Gilmore because he had trouble learning their system and "had issues changing coverages" (according to Rob Ryan,

Oh a Ryan brother running their mouth regarding something Patriots. Shocker.

Dave Wannstedt
Mike Pettine
Jim Schwarttz
Dennis Thurman (Rex Ryan's defense)

Those are the coordinators Gilmore had in Buffalo, 4 in 5 years. Doesn't surprise me that the guy needed help learning his 4th system in 4 years

Last edited:
Is a visit even possible for the top guys anymore? Seems that many of them commit to a team before visits are allowed.

I'm not fully on board the "Gillmore was a huge mistake/bust" train yet, however I always felt a bit uncertain about him as a player. The addition of him definitely didn't feel like they were bringing in 2014 Revis, or hypothetically, a guy like Sherman or Talib (again). I'm also surprised the Pats weren't turned off after witnessing this live last year:

OIQVDNS-SzWneaUiaHGx1g.png

Everyone keeps throwing this play out there like it's iron-clad proof of something. It's just one play that happens to be against the team you root for.

Gimore struggled at times last season for the bills but he actually got better the second half of the year. It's tough to say what type of player he is. Many would agree that the bills d line's better than ours right now.

Gimore struggled at times last season for the bills but he actually got better the second half of the year. It's tough to say what type of player he is. Many would agree that the bills d line's better than ours right now.

I don’t think there’s any debate that the bills dline is better than ours right now

Oh there is absolutely a debate. Bills run a 4-3 scheme which means they send 4 on most plays

Pressure rate is good but buffalo has us on sacks at this point 11-8 so they’re getting home at a more successful rate.

Add to it rushing yards allowed. Buffalo is allowing nearly 30 yards less than we are.

Now can we improve up front this year? Yes we can and I believe we will. But 4 games in I stand by the opinion there’s no debate the bills dline is playing at a higher level to this point.

Oh there is absolutely a debate. Bills run a 4-3 scheme which means they send 4 on most plays

Good point regarding the need to get pressure without blitzing, as it's not something that can simply be measured by sacks alone, but the fact remains that these are the numbers:

--currently 27th in the NFL in sacks

--have allowed 99 completions in 142 attempts for an opposing QB ratio that's higher than Tom Brady

In other words, the fact that they're getting the fourth best rate of pressure by only rushing four players really isn't equating to anything more than a meaningless stat, because they're still giving QBs all day to throw back there. Hopefully, it begins to make more of a difference, soon.

I dunna know. I don't see BB or Krafty deviating from policy to give a player $40m in guarantees.

$3m or $4m maybe. But $40m?

No

N.England has allowed 531 yards on 105 rushing attempts, or a 5.1 ypc average. Their rush defense has been a sieve, thus far.

Yup. Taking the pats homer glasses off I don’t see any way we can say we’ve been better than buffalos defense 4 games in at any of the 3 levels.

Problem with Jeff Howe's little "protocol" take is they also did it with Brandin Cooks. When they gave up a 1st round pick and picked up his 5th year which will be a $8.5m cap hit next year which will be #5 on the team and at this moment that will be a top 15 cap hit for WR next year
Because they did get to bring Cooks into Gillette stadium before agreeing to the 5th year option. He was here for almost 2 full months.

That's not even bringing up joint practices, or the fact that they likely had a good idea of wanting to extend him prior to coughing up a first round pick from seeing him in action and having Sean Payton to lean on.

Bit of a different situation than Stephon Gilmore, although I agree with you that they'd be spinning something with Cooks too, if he were looking lost at times. That would likely be the case in most NFL markets. When you're getting traded for a 1st rounder or making 13m dollars a year, the spotlight will shine bright, for good or bad.

Yup. Taking the pats homer glasses off I don’t see any way we can say we’ve been better than buffalos defense 4 games in at any of the 3 levels.
Buffalo beat Denver and Atlanta by defense, alone. Of course they've been better through 4 games.

Luckily, it's very early still, so things should even out. And even if BUF's defense ends up better, which happens sometimes, the end game is what matters. Their offense isn't too good, so I won't be concerned about them for at least another solid month or so. Let's see if they can keep it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back