PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Giants mull prying Pioli from Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I read this and the Myra Kraft thing, BB's angry husband ranting in the presss, BB not being under contract next year.. could all of this be a psy ops thing that has been alluded to by that traitor & staff who coaches the NY Jets??

I don't see any of this, Jonathan Kraft when he speaks of these guys does so in superlatives and do not see any divisions except in this fantasy land called the internet. It is much ado about nothing, surprised we are all distracted by this as we enter the playoffs.

When I read this and the Myra Kraft thing, BB's angry husband ranting in the presss, BB not being under contract next year.. could all of this be a psy ops thing that has been alluded to by that traitor & staff who coaches the NY Jets??

I don't see any of this, Jonathan Kraft when he speaks of these guys does so in superlatives and do not see any divisions except in this fantasy land called the internet. It is much ado about nothing, surprised we are all distracted by this as we enter the playoffs.

Yeah, maybe it's psy ops from the Jets with the active collaboration of the Giants and some media people. Go Pats:rocker:

The fact is, every year other teams try to raid the Pats because they are considered one of the best front offices in the league. This isn't the first time a team has made a run at Pioli and it won't be the last. The question is, does he want to go somewhere and clean up someone else's big mess, basically starting over from scratch, or, does he want to stay here and make a few tweaks, where he has consistently one of the best QBs and defenses in the league, and make a few more Superbowl runs? Only he knows the answer, but so far he has turned down this type of gig several times. I think our most vulnerable point for losing BB and SP will come when Brady gets old and slow and they decide they'd like a change in scenery. But who knows? We have to be thankful for what we've gotten so far.

The fact is, every year other teams try to raid the Pats because they are considered one of the best front offices in the league. This isn't the first time a team has made a run at Pioli and it won't be the last. The question is, does he want to go somewhere and clean up someone else's big mess, basically starting over from scratch, or, does he want to stay here and make a few tweaks, where he has consistently one of the best QBs and defenses in the league, and make a few more Superbowl runs? Only he knows the answer, but so far he has turned down this type of gig several times. I think our most vulnerable point for losing BB and SP will come when Brady gets old and slow and they decide they'd like a change in scenery. But who knows? We have to be thankful for what we've gotten so far.

Exactly. I think for Belioli, like for Brady (and he has mentioned this several times) the draw here is to have been in on the ground floor of building something from scratch and then seeing it how far you can take it. When he goes, they go - or at least Bill does. But knock on wood that is still several years (and at least another championship or two or three) away.

Scott may remain to see if it can be done again. He and Dallas have quite the combined understanding of NFL life (and shelf life) and i think they appreciate what working with the Kraft's represents over any other organization they have been exposed to over the years. I never picture BB moving on unless it's to say retire to be the HC at the Naval Academy, something his Dad never got to be in all his years there, to try to restore them to the glory of his youth and prove you can still win with character over raw talent at the college level too.

I think our most vulnerable point for losing BB and SP will come when Brady gets old and slow and they decide they'd like a change in scenery. But who knows? We have to be thankful for what we've gotten so far.
I'd settle for that. Where do I sign up? As for Brady getting slow, he'll tell you he never was anything close to fast, but he does have those moves now like he put on Urlacher. Then there was last week and the spearing. Ouch! I don't think any QB but Vick and Young could have avoided that though. If worse came to worst, however, don't you think the Krafts could lure a good coach in here? Like the Rooneys in Pittsburgh, the Krafts should be model owners to work for. Hope it doesn't come to that for a good while though.

According to NFL rules, the Giants could hire him without having to compensate the Patriots if they give him "final say" over all personnel matters - something he does not have in New England.

I thought that rule only applies to potential head coaches, not executives. That is if Pioli is under contract to the Pat's he can't go anywhere without approval of the Pat's. If his contract has expired, which is unlikely, he would be able to go anywhere with no compensation due to the Pat's.

I strogly feel that both will be here for a very long time but here is Pasquarelli's take:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2713810

Belichick and the Giants: [/B]There was a spate of reports in New York this week that the Giants might lure New England coach Bill Belichick, assuming incumbent Tom Coughlin doesn't survive. Forget about it. While the details of Belichick's contract remain murky -- no one guards the terms and financial aspects of his deal better than the Pats' coach and owner Bob Kraft -- reports that the contract expired after this season were erroneous. A league official who has access to coaches' contracts confirmed Belichick is under contract through at least the 2007 season.

The rumor getting even more play in the Big Apple is that the Giants might want to talk to Patriots vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli, one of the game's premier talent scouts, about replacing retiring general manager Ernie Accorsi, who will depart Jan. 15 or when the club's season officially ends, whichever is later.

Pioli, 41, grew up a Giants fan, but that doesn't mean he covets the New York job or that team officials could pry him from the Pats. Pioli is under contract but, according to league rules, the Giants technically should be able to interview him because he does not have what the NFL terms "final say" in football matters at New England. That authority, of course, belongs to Belichick, and the two men form one of the best coach-personnel man tandems in a long, long time. New England officials privately have suggested, though, they can make a compelling case for why the Giants should not be allowed to interview Pioli if they seek permission. Hard to say what the Pats' strategy would be in such a case, but two years ago New England held off Cleveland owner Randy Lerner when he wanted to meet with Pioli about the Browns' general manager position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes