PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

GB and the blueprint. Also Fred Taylor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
didn't the pats loose twice this year....................I`m kinda confused 0_o

if they've lost twice and haven't changed much how is a close game the blueprint and not 1 of the losses

I think the Mangini amebia defense might be the blueprint. He has beaten the Pats with it a few times.

The Packers certainly took advantage of the Pats D-line as they ran all over us. Those guys were getting worn down...good thing Wilfork is a beast.

The Packers certainly took advantage of the Pats D-line as they ran all over us. Those guys were getting worn down...good thing Wilfork is a beast.

I dunno, but I really like Rajii from BC. He pushed aside Mankins like a rag-doll, in numerous occasions. Didn't Rajii got 2 or 3 sacks on Brady?

I think the only man who had a blueprint on how to beat the Patriots was Bernard Pollard. Except he only went halfway because he didn't take out BB as well.

At this point the only team that can beat the Patriots is themselves. It was true in SB 42 and it is true this year as well.

I dunno, but I really like Rajii from BC. He pushed aside Mankins like a rag-doll, in numerous occasions. Didn't Rajii got 2 or 3 sacks on Brady?

2, but he had a lot of other pressures and opened up some holes for others. Raji played a great game. The offense didn't get going until we started getting him under control.

As for the blueprint, it's been around a while. It's nothing new. Just hard to do. I'd say Raji and the interior pressure had way more to do with it than the man coverage. When Brady got time, he made plays. When he didn't, he didn't. He has always been better at getting away from pressure from the sides, stepping up in the pocket, but interior pressure influences him just like almost every QB I've seen.

The Pats scored 24 offensive points in 19 minutes....=1.26 pts./min. ...slightly above their 2010 average. Despite the Int TD, the D was last nights problem, and IMO, they shot themselves in the foot with 4 self inflicted mistakes...onside kick, Meriweather's tackle on McCourty, Wilfork's facemask penalty=1st down, and TBC's hand to the face penalty negating an Int.
My point, the O was typical...and a clean D would have had better results

I think people are undervaluing the performance of the Packers D. They've had a few issues but the reality is most of their injuries have been on offense. The Pats had a poor game and still managed to put 24 offensive points on the board and 1 defensive touchdown.

Blueprint or not a bad performance by the Patriots is a 24 point score against the stingiest defense in the league and a 31-27 victory.

I'm glad there's no rating for style points.

...and on offense, count on that 260 pound fullback nobody heard d1ck about.

Come on guys. We're getting into 2007 territory now. Every team sees the Pats game as their Super Bowl - AND, the Packers were (and are) playing in a hotly contested playoff chase.

These aren't excuses. The Pats showed some inconsistent effort -- or just inconsistent results, if you aren't of the "all we have to do is try hard and we always win" frame of mind.

The first half Brady was hovering around the 50% completion mark, somewhere in there - I remember hearing 5 of 9, that sort of completion percentage.

Interesting what the response was, ultimately, on offense - just keep hitting different targets, trying different things, highlighting the adaptability of this defense. Sure, it was "pick your poison" in 07 - cover Moss deep or Welker over the middle.

We don't have the '07 vertical game, but we have way more horizontally, with upgrades all over the field: Woodhead/Ben Franklin Green Acres vs. Maroney. Hernandez/Gronk over the '07 TEs (Watson & Wendy's? Gawd I am getting old... don't even remember the parade of TEs that's gone through here...) Welker is still Welker, and now and then Edelman can be too. You get the idea.

So you have balance (an honest-to-God run game.) You have pass-catching tight ends (plural.) You still have Welker, Tate, Edelman, Branch - a downgrade, because there's no Randy, but a horizontal upgrade, because you don't have to keep Randy happy -- and if it ain't working, the run or the Woodhead short routes eventually are.

The "blueprint" concept works best when you have one formula. 07 was a tour de force, albeit with a letdown at the end. It's like a car with one gigantic, high-speed cylinder. In '10, it's more robust. You can lean on another cylinder if one's not firing, and the car still goes...

And another thing... we have the league's best kick-returning O-line.

I don't like all the guys saying how GB has the best defense in the universe because they stuck with us. Nah. We just did not get off the field, we did not control the tempo, we barely got the W, and the O didn't really get it without the help of the D (and of course the kick-returning O-line.) It wasn't a good game, and 19 minutes isn't enough to have the football, that's all. A backup almost beat our azz.

Well great - let's see if the team bounces back, as one would hope. You're never as good as those blowouts with the Jets and Bears, and you're not as bad as the letdown games. Of course, it's better to "bounce back" from a close (and lucky) win, than from a loss.

Soon as we went "no huddle" and got a wee bit of rhythm, GB was on their heels and we scored very quickly, so there are ways to back the pressure off. More then any blueprint being exposed, we saw what this offense looks like out of synch. That's all. We couldn't get any rhythm on offense outside of a coupe drives. Spent a lot of time cooling their jets on the sideline too. That played havoc with their rhythm.

Play the Patriots when they have 3 then 2 available d lineman

Convert an onside kick

Get 3 or 4 critical penalties to sustain drives.

Play when the run stopping ILB is suspended

Then figure out how to score another five points.

The reality is with every conceivable break, the Packers could not sustain the effort for 60 minutes. That's why they lost.

The blueprint to beat this offense is the same as it always was. Shut down the run, get a consistent pass rush with your front three/four, and play tight coverage in the secondary. Unfortunately for other teams, Tom Brady used to be the best quarterback in NFL against the blitz and he's now returned to that form. This offense as it's constructed now, is tailor made to feast on over aggressive one-gap defense. The quick passing game helps our O-Line out and takes advantage of holes in the zone left vacated by extra rushers which defensive coordinators keep sending at Brady. This is why we've been able to torch otherwise stout defenses like Pittsburgh and New York. I thought Chicago had a good chance to slow us down because they've been able to consistently rush the passer with their front four, but our offensive line stood up to the challenge.

^^ From last week. The blueprint to beat the Pats has been out for quite some time now. The problem is not every defense can execute that blueprint.

The Pats provided the blueprint on how to beat the Packers. Have your offense on the field for 20 minutes, score 31 points and let your defense do the rest.

The Packers have exceptional personell on defense, being held to 31 pts by them is hard to do. This game reminded me a lot of the early season. Some 3 WR sets and run it. The team needs to continue to improve, but the Packers are a very good team.

Anyone who thinks the Patriots should blow out pr even beat every team they are "supposed to" doesn't really understand football.

I know we say this so much it seems like a cliche, but all that matters is "Wins & Losses", period.

One game has nothing to do with another. For example, the Jets beat the Steeler and the Patriots beat them both. That does not mean the Patriots "should" beat either team come playoff time? NOPE! All we really have is hope that we can beat either team.

Point-spreads and favorites really have no meaning in the NFL or any other sport. Each game has to be played and spreads mean nothing.

Last edited:
Simply score more points than the Patriots can put up, thats the blueprint to beating any team;)

You need a corner that can cover the slot. Woodson these days stays in the slot pretty much all the time. He did the best job on Welker since Malcolm Jenkins of the Saints.

I was thinking about teams that could have the corners to do it, but no one in the AFC stands out, other than the Chargers. But overall I think GB played their hearts out against us without Rodgers in a game that really didn't mean a whole lot to us. Game reminded me of the 2007 Eagles game and I think the same thing happens to GB as it did to the Eagles, they'll lose their next game.

This blueprint stuff is crap. What the Packers did last night wasn't new. Several teams over the years have been successful pressuring Brady exactly the way the Packers did last night while many more have tried to do exactly what the Packers did and failed miserably.

Any defensive coordinator with half a brain knows you can get to Brady if you pressure him up the middle. Only about 2-3 teams in the NFL have the front seven who can do it remotely like the way the Packers did last night.

This is why no one has copied the "blueprint" that the Giants drew up in the Super Bowl. Because to successfully implement that blueprint, you need players like Strahan, Tuck, and Umenyura.

Leonardo DiCaprio has given every single guy in the world the blueprint to date supermodels. Unfortunately, only a handful of guy can actually follow the blueprint of looking like DiCaprio and being as rich and famous. But hey, we all know how to do it though.

Also not many Teams sport a BJ Raj a Clay Matthews and a Charles Woodson.

The Pats provided the blueprint on how to beat the Packers. Have your offense on the field for 20 minutes, score 31 points and let your defense do the rest.

First l-o-l of my day. Good stuff

...and on offense, count on that 260 pound fullback nobody heard d1ck about.

My god, if the corners or Guyton/Ninkovich could have tackled The Coon it would have been a much different game.

That swing pass near the goalline was so telegraphed that I was screaming it was coming as soon as he lined up on the left. It actually wasn't even defensed that poorly if Arrington wasn't afraid to tackle him.

coon.jpg
[/IMG]

This result reflects one thing more than any other - the Packers put a hell of a lot of work into their game plan. And it was undeniably good, but still dependent on opportunity, execution and luck. Was it a blueprint, not really as the plan would play out differently should any of those parameters change.

Opportunity: Patriot's defensive line was weakened through injuries.
Execution 1: Jackson? Jackson runs for 1 yard shy of 100, team rushes for 143
Execution 2: Rookie QB throws 67% completion rate on short passing
Luck: 51 tackles 32 on single medium length pass that ends in 66 yd touchdown

Opportunity: Take away field position advantage on special teams, if possible take away a Patriot's possession.
Execution 1: Opening on-side kick (after this and the SB do you think teams will cover with hands and protection on all future Kick-offs?)
Exection 2: Short punts to avoid Tate and Edleman
Luck: Who would have thought Connolly would have taken it 71 yards (bad luck counts).

Opportunity: Put you best DB on Welker and remove the short under game.
Execution: Welker 3 catches, with his longest not in the slot.
Luck: Should have had 1 if not 2 interceptions. (more bad luck)

Opportunity: Put Brady under pressure
Execution: BJ Raji was their best DL
Luck: Patriots concentrated on stopping Mathews.

Opportunity: Control the clock
Execution: 40 minutes of possession limits Brady to 19 minutes on the field
Luck: Let Patriots make mistakes - 4 major penalties extend the drives (positive)
Luck: Ran out of Time outs as clock expired on final drive (negative).

Given last weeks result, I am tempted to guess that the Packers spent some of their preparation time against Detroit scheming against the Patriots, assuming the Lions to be a win-able game. Which is eerily similar to the other two losses. You can bet your bottom dollar that Rexy was planning game 2 for months head, and Mangini had the bye week to plot the patriot's downfall in week 9.

What gets to any team is good planning and I think that each of these teams spent more than the average time and resource on preparing to defeat the Patriots. I reminds me of the Jack Nicklaus saying - "the more I practice the luckier I get". I would just change that to plan and practice, and results will be improved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft