PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gasper: NFL, Walsh closing in on deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: NFL, Walsh closing in on deal

I disagree with Florio in that his claims will be met with much skepticism. I think no matter how little evidence he may have and how little anything he claims meets with logic, there will be a segment of the media and most certainly Arlen Specter who will believe him and push this claims even if they are ludicrious through the media. If we have learned anything, this whole process is not to get to the truth. It is all about getting to the juicy story.

I'm guessing he's excluding BSPN as credible, as most of us do now.

Might as well get it over with now...

Like Florio said, SpyGate II ends when Walsh gets to speak. I'd love to just have this all over before the draft.

I don't buy that. If Walsh claims he taped the walkthrough, Specter is going to try to use him to push for Senate hearings. He and guys like Easterbrook and the NY Times will treat him as the NFL version of Deep Throat.

I hate to say this, but it won't end with Walsh speaking unless he doesn't claim to have taped the walkthrough. If he claims he did even without evidence, this story keeps on going.

I'm guessing he's excluding BSPN as credible, as most of us do now.

Actually, I am thinking that the NY Times is worse than ESPN. The NY Times used to be the gold standard for journalistic integrity, but their actions in this story and others like the bogus piece on John McCain being a womanizer (I am not even a big McCain fan and I found that article sleazy) has irrepairably tarnished that rag. I think the NY Post has more integrity than them now.

The Patriots say there was no confidentiality agreement. Regardless, all the NFL can do is promise to help him financially, or provide lawyers, etc, if he's sued or taken to criminal court. As you say, they can't stop him being prosecuted or sued. Personally I hope he ends up with a really cute boyfriend.
I'm no lawyer, but the word "indemnify" means that if Walsh is sued for damages by any party (such as the Patriots) that the indemnifier, the NFL in this case, would be obligated to pay the damages. But that would not protect Walsh if he committed a crime.

I'm no lawyer, but the word "indemnify" means that if Walsh is sued for damages by any party (such as the Patriots) that the indemnifier, the NFL in this case, would be obligated to pay the damages. But that would not protect Walsh if he committed a crime.
Right, I'm not a lawyer either but based on what I read of the definition you are correct. Indemnity is solely a monetary matter.

Walsh will not take down the league and the Pats and this story will end with a whimper and not a big bang as some fear. It will end as most things do, quietly. As I said before and just like T.S. Eliot wrote in "Hollow Men," the world doesn't end with a bang but with a whimper.

a.paul already posted a Globe story from today on Walsh, not a good one: http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...ter/?page=full

a.paul already posted a Globe story from today on Walsh, not a good one: http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...ter/?page=full
Here's the link that works :

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...user_matt_walsh_is_calculating_bitter/?page=1

I think it's a very good one. It makes Walsh out to be a freak and gives quotes from Patriots sources and reasons from the NFL about how the walkthrough taping DID NOT happen unless Walsh was acting alone.

Here's the link that works :

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...user_matt_walsh_is_calculating_bitter/?page=1

I think it's a very good one. It makes Walsh out to be a freak and gives quotes from Patriots sources and reasons from the NFL about how the walkthrough taping DID NOT happen unless Walsh was acting alone.

Some interesting paragraphs:

"He sounded like a loose cannon," said the coworker, who asked not to be identified to avoid entangling his new employer in the controversy. "He was very bitter about how things ended with the Patriots and he seemed like he was keen on using whatever he had to get back at them by going public and really trying to damage the team."

A league source said NFL investigators found two practical reasons why the Patriots could not have used their video equipment to tape the Rams the day before the Super Bowl. First, the team's video crew did not take any battery packs to the Superdome because they planned only to set up the equipment, not to use it. Second, the league confirmed there was no electrical power available at the camera positions in the stadium.

In addition, an NFL investigator interviewed a Patriots employee who left the Superdome that day with Walsh and quoted Walsh as saying, "We should have taped that," according to a person familiar with the league's inquiry.

Can they find a way to take our pick this draft?
Is that what Specter has up his sleazy sleeve?

I admit I'm interpreting things a bit here, but I wouldn't be surprised if he simply can't. First off, there are at least some limits on what the Commissioner can do: for example, the NFL's rules explicitly forbid him from declaring a forfeit under any circumstances other than a team refusing/being unable to take the field.

Second, the CBA specifically prohibits teams and players from going "back in time," so to speak, and renegotiating provisions for past seasons. In a manner of speaking, it might be that taking away the #7 pick would, essentially, be like trying to take away a draft pick that's already been used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back