PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Garay fined 15k for Brady hit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Garay may not have had the intent to injure Brady, as I tend to believe in the best of people playing sports. But even during the heat of the moment he should have known better than to lunge for the knees in such a deliberative way.

Personally i think the fine is too low and probably given to the wrong person. I can only partly blame Garay, because his job is to get to the quarterback, probably in any way possible. If that means lunging for the knees, then so be it. I don't think he got a hard time on the SD bench from their coaches after that tackle.

I think that is the problem, everyone wants to win no matter the price. It's in all competitive sports. Most people won't care if the do something against the rules if it means winning. And if you just go around fining players, at any amount, nothing will change. The team is always more important than the player, so if the team itself never gets any substantial fines, the practice will just go on because the punishment is just too small.

Right now all the blame falls on the players when the teams are the ones who should take the blame.

Garay may not have had the intent to injure Brady, as I tend to believe in the best of people playing sports.
I agree. I for one am not saying Garay had "intent to injure". However, what he did have was "intent to tackle Brady round the knee". Having chosen to do this he is wholly responsible for the consequences of his actions and can have no excuses. If Brady had been out for the season with a bust knee you can bet Garay's "I didn't mean to hurt him" pleas would have sounded fairly hollow. It's simple. Don't make that sort of tackle.

I agree. I for one am not saying Garay had "intent to injure". However, what he did have was "intent to tackle Brady round the knee". Having chosen to do this he is wholly responsible for the consequences of his actions and can have no excuses. If Brady had been out for the season with a bust knee you can bet Garay's "I didn't mean to hurt him" pleas would have sounded fairly hollow. It's simple. Don't make that sort of tackle.

Yeah, and the sentence after I said "But even during the heat of the moment he should have known better than to lunge for the knees in such a deliberative way.", so I'm definitely agreeing with you.

And this is where I think the teams has the responsibility to stop these sort of things. But since the teams don't get punished for looking the other way and not putting and end to these kind of tackles by conditioning the players to not make them during practice, these kind of tackles will continue to happen.

Let me edit that. Maybe the teams are trying to put an end to these kind of tackles, because i don't know what happens during practices. But I find most times, that if there isn't and incentive to do something, it won't get done.

Last edited:
Garay may not have had the intent to injure Brady, as I tend to believe in the best of people playing sports. But even during the heat of the moment he should have known better than to lunge for the knees in such a deliberative way.

Personally i think the fine is too low and probably given to the wrong person. I can only partly blame Garay, because his job is to get to the quarterback, probably in any way possible. If that means lunging for the knees, then so be it. I don't think he got a hard time on the SD bench from their coaches after that tackle.

I think that is the problem, everyone wants to win no matter the price. It's in all competitive sports. Most people won't care if the do something against the rules if it means winning. And if you just go around fining players, at any amount, nothing will change. The team is always more important than the player, so if the team itself never gets any substantial fines, the practice will just go on because the punishment is just too small.

Right now all the blame falls on the players when the teams are the ones who should take the blame.

yeah that's how it's always been, players acting like they got held, acting like there was a PI to draw a flag, acting acting acting

and it's never really chastized.

you sound like you want team sports to be more accountable like golf, where the player penalizes himself because there's more honor in the sport and because it's one person out there.

i doubt they ever use that approach, i just can't see players ever having that much honor

i would love to see a player go to the ref and say "ya know what, he really wasn't holding me on that last play...let it slide"

that would make my day.

i'm sure in garay's case, as in any other player's case in the nfl, the DC was probably proud of the play

that's how it is in the win at all costs type of sports leagues

see, this is what i totally and completely agree with

if you're going to make that type of tackle, it's not necessarily an intent to injure, but it is dangerous

i say the same for dbs hitting defenseless wrs, i don't believe the intent is to injure, it's just to "make a play" for their DC and their boys, their unit

hell colleges give out little stickers for just such plays, where do you think these guys learn it, same as high schools

yeah that's how it's always been, players acting like they got held, acting like there was a PI to draw a flag, acting acting acting

and it's never really chastized.

you sound like you want team sports to be more accountable like golf, where the player penalizes himself because there's more honor in the sport and because it's one person out there.

i doubt they ever use that approach, i just can't see players ever having that much honor

i would love to see a player go to the ref and say "ya know what, he really wasn't holding me on that last play...let it slide"

that would make my day.

i'm sure in garay's case, as in any other player's case in the nfl, the DC was probably proud of the play

that's how it is in the win at all costs type of sports leagues

In a perfect world, that is what I would want yes. In any teams sports, people do not just play for themselves, they play for the team.

But I'm not saying the players should act like model citizens. The players don't have that luxury, because if they do, it's frowned upon by the team. What I am saying is that the franchises has to be held accountable for the actions of their players. Otherwise these type of things will continue.

In a perfect world, that is what I would want yes. In any teams sports, people do not just play for themselves, they play for the team.

But I'm not saying the players should act like model citizens. The players don't have that luxury, because if they do, it's frowned upon by the team. What I am saying is that the franchises has to be held accountable for the actions of their players. Otherwise these type of things will continue.

i'm all for fining whoever or whatever sends a message to rule breakers, of any team

that would be great

it doesn't appear to be working, fining the players

i'm all for fining whoever or whatever sends a message to rule breakers, of any team

that would be great

it doesn't appear to be working, fining the players

It doesn't work because as an individual you can make an illegal play that ends up benefiting the team. The individual gets punished by the league, but the team gets off scott free. That individual then gets congratulated by the locker room and and maybe coaches too because it ended up benefiting the team. In a sport were the first and foremost mentality is team-mentality, punishing individual players has no impact on the team that certainly doesn't seem to condemn the actions of the single player because it benefited the team in the end. So the only way to punish it is to punish the team, otherwise the punishment is just arbitrary

Hi,Pao!!! ....Pao?????....HELLO??????....Pao, are you out there????

WHERE ARE YOU NOW,PAO????????
Here I am. What's up big fella? Spell it out, what are you upset about? I saw it (thanks DI) and believe the guy should have been fined more. I posted the same on the CMB where I'm going to get flamed worse than Hitler when he met the devil. Come on now.

That's not even the best shot of the hit. The one that shows his arm going for the knee makes it look deliberate to me

That's not even the best shot of the hit. The one that shows his arm going for the knee makes it look deliberate to me
Got a link? s

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft