PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Thoughts: The fish were squished, filleted, diced, and used for chum edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's good to see Chandler Jones progressing to the elite DE we hope they drafted. Many people forget he was considered a 3rd round pick and more of a project until the combine came around. This is one of those picks where the gamble pays off big time but it doesn't happen overnight. However he did well enough in his first few seasons to keep the doubters at bay. Not only is his pass rushing elite but he is now a solid contributor to the run where many considered his weakest strength. Actually solid doesn't do him justice. He is now very good vs the run.

I love Hightower, his versatility is huge and his blitzes have some much pop and aggression to them. He is a handful and a big reason why the Pats have had mega success vs the run the last two weeks.

A little concerned about the oline, not their ability but the overall health. They were one injury away from having to throw a TE or DT in there to block for their Qb. A little too close for comfort and shows how much they need Cannon to come back soon.

I could talk all day about the greatness of Brady and his weapons as it would be too repetitive. Ok, I will. There are just not enough words to describe how good they are right now. If you told me we would ever see another offense as potent as the one in 2007 I would tell you nice try. If you told me today that this offense is better than 2007 I would have a hard time arguing. Simply put, this offense can beat you in every way. It's like Brady has seen and knows everything. It's like the movie "the highlander" and Brady has beheaded the last immortal and has become "the one." In my life I have never seen someone so good and so in control of what he does out there on that football field than TFB. There would be nothing better to watch these guys raise their 5th banner. Super bowl banner to you Colts fans.

What a great game. A feel good game for the next 10 days.

"It's like Brady has seen and knows everything."

I think it's true.

I think this offense is better. Crazy.

Honestly, the 2015 Pats's A-game beats any other teams A-game by what? 14? 20? They can only beat themselves IMO.

We saw hints of it today with stupid 10- or 15-yd penalties that kill drives. If not for those, they rarely are denied by an opposing D for long.
You know, the more you look at it, the more you see that this offense is clearly superior to 2007--and that's not even considering the fact that significant reinforcements are coming on the offensive line.

Again, after the first half of that season, things really shifted. In the second half of the season, the Pats failed to crack 30 points fully half the time. Extending that to the playoffs, you can add two more games--the Super Bowl, and the championship game where they scored only 21. They just squeaked out 30 (31) in the first playoff game.

That offensive machine was clearly running out of steam. I don't think this one will.

It's as though he's sentenced to a career- by his own contract(s) -to play on average teams, until he retires

Yet another angle as to why Brady is the best - he actively works with the coaching/cap staff to ensure his single salary doesn't cripple the team's ability to place talent around him.

I saw a comment somewhere saying the Pats offense has no one scheme do you can't really scheme to stop it. It reminded me instantly of what happened when the 2007 offense started slowing down. I like this version better although I will always remember the Brady to Moss thrill fondly.

I'm not sure if this is an anomaly or if the stats back it up, but what's most remarkable about the Patriots, to me, is the 180 turnaround they have done over the last few years in terms of getting better as the game goes on, especially in the fourth quarter. Sure seemed like from roughly 2009-2012 or so, you always hoped they would put the game away early because both the offense and defense was always inept in crunch time. Games that come to mind are the 4th and 2 game against Manning (and multiple other major comebacks that year), and various playoff losses where they were ground down as they game went on.

On defense, I think it mainly has to do with depth and their younger players having the stamina, and on offense, LaFell makes a huge difference as does Edelman being more physical in short yardage than Welker was. The team has really changed its identify from front runner to accelerator.

I think the defense has always been improving as the season goes on.

I also think that the offense has struggled during BOB's time as OC or whatever. Once Josh came back things have improved.

he was saying, "hey walt, remember last year when i had that 17-yard run against you? good times!"

Tom Brady said he wanted to 'run somebody over'

qBeWH4t.jpg

Good vid, & joke-memory; but i doubt a competitor like tom qas talking about a year ago.

I thought i heard the mic pick up Aikens saying "so that is what that was" at the end of the conversstion. So i think aikens asked tom something technical or specific.

I thought i heard the mic pick up Aikens saying "so that is what that was" at the end of the conversstion. So i think aikens asked tom something technical or specific.

Yeah -- I definitely heard Aikens say that.

I saw a comment somewhere saying the Pats offense has no one scheme do you can't really scheme to stop it. It reminded me instantly of what happened when the 2007 offense started slowing down. I like this version better although I will always remember the Brady to Moss thrill fondly.

I feel like this version is more balanced. just in that when they decide to spread you out, devoting time to stop your top 2 receiving targets wont slow them down. 2007 I thought was very dependent on Welker and Moss. This years offense also seems more physical IMO

look at the Jets game. they kept Edelman relatively in check....but when you have Amendola on your 3rd best defensive back he is going to eat him alive..and brady found him consistently.

teams cant lineup enough guys to cover Edelman/gronk/lafell/amendola/Lewis when they spread you out. same thing they did in the superbowl

Unless your name is Gronkowski...then you can put one of his arms in a full armbar AT LEAST once per game before the ball gets there with no call.

And then sometimes they'll even call interference against him even though the defender is the one that initiated the interference but instead they go flying like a kid in a bounce house.

I think the defense has always been improving as the season goes on.

I also think that the offense has struggled during BOB's time as OC or whatever. Once Josh came back things have improved.

Ummm BOB was OC here for one year here and our offense scored 513 points and carried our D to the SB, which we would have won if Gronk wasn't injured, Tommy didn't get injured during the game, or Wes didn't drop the ball. Where exactly did the offense struggle?

First a little complaint. People have been watching this team for years yet it doesn't stop them from complain about how soft the defense is on the opening drive. People should know by now that the Pats play a softer defense and allow the opposing offense get plays which shows their hand and allows the Pats to make adjustments off the bat. I never get concerned how the Pats play defense on the opening drive (or the first drive of the second half). I am disappointed if they give up points, but the yards allowed are almost by design.

I always think of the movie "Maverick" and how he promises to lose for the first hour when joining a table. Everyone thinks they're putting him in a hole, but it's really an investment in information gathering.

Brandon LaFell really had a bounce back game. That over the shoulder catch was a big boy play and he made an amazing key block on Gronk's TD

He had two, actually. He shoved his defender toward the sideline and then hopped in front of Gronk to take out the safety inside. It was a hell of a play.

Coleman made a hidden good play as well. On the 4th down throw into the EZ, Harmon went for a pick and Coleman swatted the ball out of his hands in a direction where no Dolphins were around. I don't know whether he just didn't know it was Harmon or if he realized the pick was bad because it would either a) result in a touchback and 20 yards of lost field position or b) give a Miami player time to strip it away, but I like to think it was situational awareness. :)

Ummm BOB was OC here for one year here and our offense scored 513 points and carried our D to the SB, which we would have won if Gronk wasn't injured, Tommy didn't get injured during the game, or Wes didn't drop the ball. Where exactly did the offense struggle?

O'Brien was QB coach when there was no OC and then OC at a time when the Pats went one and done back to back (Jets and Ravens at home) and lost the SB to the Giants with 17 points.

Played golf with my very good friend who is a diehard Dolphin Fan, he had little to say except Tannehill sucks and he went to bed after the first half, as he saw the inevitable coming...

Not wanting to gloat and kick a despondent fan who was obviously down, did not make too much of a deal about it..

It was at his course(private) and I was a guest... so had to be reasonable. But inside hands were clapping...

Funny how fans are so high on Butler and so down on Ryan. To my eye, they each make big plays and they each give up big plays. But, that's the nature of the position in the modern NFL. Can't hardly touch a receiver without drawing a flag. The measure of their quality is even when the opposing O makes a big completion, at least they're in the frame to force the QB and receiver to actually make a play.

This defense will get better, too. Sheard is a weapon and adds a dimension to the front when he's healthy. And the young secondary, Coleman and Butler especially, are still on a steep learning curve. Every game is an opportunity for them to grow.

Ryan definitely has had better coverage than Butler of late. He lacks Butler's amazing closing speed, but his positioning is better. Butler seems to have a particular issue with crossing routes, but maybe it's just that getting beat on a crossing route looks particularly bad because the receiver is setup to run wild after making the catch.

Honestly, the 2015 Pats's A-game beats any other teams A-game by what? 14? 20? They can only beat themselves IMO.

Of course, the real test in the regular season is how you do with your B game, and the Pats, as usual, manage better than anyone when things aren't going quite right.

You know, the more you look at it, the more you see that this offense is clearly superior to 2007--and that's not even considering the fact that significant reinforcements are coming on the offensive line.

Again, after the first half of that season, things really shifted. In the second half of the season, the Pats failed to crack 30 points fully half the time. Extending that to the playoffs, you can add two more games--the Super Bowl, and the championship game where they scored only 21. They just squeaked out 30 (31) in the first playoff game.

That offensive machine was clearly running out of steam. I don't think this one will.

I'm in the minority here but I did not like the 2007 season. Pats went all in in becoming the Manning Colts and achieved the same result. I have commented previously how as the last 3rd of the season arrived it was evident that the better DCs had figured out ways to slow down the Pats offense. Worse yet the pressure was taking its toll on the team. There was a sense of foreboding with the fluke time out win over the Ravens and the strong challenge the Giants presented in late December.

I always hated the 16-0 banner which reminds me of something the Colts would do.

I have commented previously how as the last 3rd of the season arrived it was evident that the better DCs had figured out ways to slow down the Pats offense.

It had no balance. This offense is beginning to have a similar vibe, BUT the differences are the weaponry of Gronk and Lewis first and foremost, going away from the long developing pass plays (Moss only went over the middle maybe 3-4 times per game vs go routes, fades, back shoulders, etc ) and a seeming attempt to at least try and add the running attack.

I particularly liked that they tried to feature Blount (with some success) early vs the Fish. They need to continue to try and develop that even WITH the OL issues.

O'Brien was QB coach when there was no OC and then OC at a time when the Pats went one and done back to back (Jets and Ravens at home) and lost the SB to the Giants with 17 points.

Forgot about 2009 and 2010.

But let's review in 2009 Tommy just got back from his ACL/MCL tear and only had Wes Welker and Randy Moss, they both had far over 100 targets. The next closest were Jules and Faulk with a little over 50 targets. For Christ sakes they would have Sam Aiken out there as a third receiver. The last game of the season Wes tore his ACL. The team had absolutely no life in that playoff game. Hell I'm sure it wasn't BOB's fault that the defense let Ray Rice run for an 80 yard touchdown on the opening play.

2010 and 2011 the offense scored over 500 points both seasons, Tom threw for 75 touchdowns compared to 16 touchdowns, Tom won MVP, and the offense carried the team to a SB and almost won. In what universe is that considered a struggling offense?

Forgot about 2009 and 2010.

But let's review in 2009 Tommy just got back from his ACL/MCL tear and only had Wes Welker and Randy Moss, they both had far over 100 targets. The next closest were Jules and Faulk with a little over 50 targets. For Christ sakes they would have Sam Aiken out there as a third receiver. The last game of the season Wes tore his ACL. The team had absolutely no life in that playoff game. Hell I'm sure it wasn't BOB's fault that the defense let Ray Rice run for an 80 yard touchdown on the opening play.

2010 and 2011 the offense scored over 500 points both seasons, Tom threw for 75 touchdowns compared to 16 touchdowns, Tom won MVP, and the offense carried the team to a SB and almost won. In what universe is that considered a struggling offense?

I didn't say they struggled.
All I did say is that the Pats didn't succeed in the years that O'Brien had responsibilities on offense. He also very publicly blew his cool on the sideline with Brady.
Houston can have him.

I didn't say they struggled.
All I did say is that the Pats didn't succeed in the years that O'Brien had responsibilities on offense. He also very publicly blew his cool on the sideline with Brady.
Houston can have him.

Ummmm...

I also think that the offense has struggled during BOB's time as OC or whatever.

It's the exact word you used...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore