PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Thoughts: Nice to have a hard fought "home' win in San Diego Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had previously compared Vereen unfavorably to Faulk (and received the usual reflexive tantrums). The fact remains he has become a nonfactor as a runner (12 rushes/19 yards in the last three games), but his declining rushing production needs to be viewed in the context of overall offensive trends. Tim Wright has disappeared from the stat sheet the the past couple of weeks as well, along with Gray and Tyms. Still, Vereen sees plenty of snaps as our primary backfield option on passing downs, although this could change (did you see Amendola in the backfield last night?). Now when Vereen enters the game defenses focus on the pass, knowing that he is ineffective as a rusher. This lack of any type of rushing threat on third downs is starting to impact the passing game as well. Although Vereen has produced 134 yards receiving in the last three games, the DL can pin their ears back and rush the QB, and coverage can concentrate on primary targets (Gronk and Edelman). As a result, the OL is struggling, primary targets are having more trouble getting open, and Brady is increasingly getting harassed before he can find secondary targets (and making uncharacteristic mistakes). All these things are inter-related, but my view is the the primary cause is the OL. As Bruschi said this morning:

While Solder had a rough go of it, it wasn't just Solder. In addition to resembling a sieve on pass protection, they are opening few holes in the running game for Blount as well as Vereen (3.1 yds/carry as a team). To a certain extent, the OL's struggles last night were masked by the most dominant defensive performance of the year. Still, getting the OL back to the level they were performing at a month ago is for me the team's major issue heading into the playoffs.

If you compare talent at most positions, the Offensive line is least talented of any Patriot squad, and particularly the interior Offensive line. The starting tackles are both big and talented, but can have bad games,and the reserves are young and raw. Plus both Flemming and Cannon are both dinged as well.

If the O-line has trouble opening holes, it is kind of expected to be the case. Fortunately, that will be likely upgraded in this Draft.

But it doesn't solve the immediate problem. Many here neglect to review the Injury Report, but Connoly and the Wendell, were both recently listed as injured.

IOW, one or both are likely still banged up, and playing in spite of injuries. and not at full strength. Now that the 6 game gauntlet is over, maybe Guge will be able to rest them an get them healthier for the Playoffs.

If you compare talent at most positions, the Offensive line is least talented of any Patriot squad, and particularly the interior Offensive line. The starting tackles are both big and talented, but can have bad games,and the reserves are young and raw. Plus both Flemming and Cannon are both dinged as well.
Nate Solder has not lived up to expectations this season.

If the O-line has trouble opening holes, it is kind of expected to be the case. Fortunately, that will be likely upgraded in this Draft.
Waiting until the sixth round to upgrade the offensive guard position is pure folly.

But it doesn't solve the immediate problem. Many here neglect to review the Injury Report, but Connoly and the Wendell, were both recently listed as injured.
Stop making up crap. Wendell was not on the injury report this week.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...773681/injury-report-10-questionable-for-pats

IOW, one or both are likely still banged up, and playing in spite of injuries. and not at full strength. Now that the 6 game gauntlet is over, maybe Guge will be able to rest them an get them healthier for the Playoffs.
Stop making excuses for the offensive line.

Nate Solder has not lived up to expectations this season.

Waiting until the sixth round to upgrade the offensive guard position is pure folly.

Stop making up crap. Wendell was not on the injury report this week.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...773681/injury-report-10-questionable-for-pats

Stop making excuses for the offensive line.

I don't know why you have a hair across your ass, but please desist.

The interior O-line IS under-talented. Reserves like Kline, Devey and Barker inspire little or no respect from anyone.

Wendell despite being gutty and hard-nosed, IS undersized. Connoly IS 33. Neither were high draft picks, but they played adequately. Both have been dinged up recently, too.

Flemming was drafted in the 4th round to be a drive blocking RG, who can pass block too. He has been injured through many games, both this preseason and season, which has set him back until 2015. We have seen a preview of what he can do as third tackle in a couple of games, though. Enough to know that he can play in this league.

Halapio was chosen as a potential reserve replacement for one of the UDFA PS O-line reserves. He didn't cut it.

Piss on your junior GM criticism on a 6th rounder that did not work out. In your phantom Draftnik dream world, you never fail to pick anything but future superstars, and can't under stand why BB occasionally fails, and whats more doesn't pick your 'discoveries'.

I suppose BB ruined your carefully researched pet unknown from from East Okeefenokie U club football. Sure to be a future All-Pro that BB if he had an ounce of brains, he would have selected. .

I don't know why you have a hair across your ass, but please desist.
Stop making crap up.

The interior O-line IS under-talented. Reserves like Kline, Devey and Barker inspire little or no respect from anyone.
That's what you get when rely on undrafted free agents.

Wendell despite being gutty and hard-nosed, IS undersized. Connoly IS 33. Neither were high draft picks, but they played adequately. Both have been dinged up recently, too.
Ryan Wendell was not on the injury report this past week. Stop making crap up.

Flemming was drafted in the 4th round to be a drive blocking RG, who can pass block too. He has been injured through many games, both this preseason and season, which has set him back until 2015. We have seen a preview of what he can do as third tackle in a couple of games, though. Enough to know that he can play in this league.
Fleming played the entire preseason at offensive tackle. Stop making crap up.

Halapio was chosen as a potential reserve replacement for one of the UDFA PS O-line reserves. He didn't cut it.
Another draft pick flushed down the toilet.

Piss on your junior GM criticism on a 6th rounder that did not work out. In your phantom Draftnik dream world, you never fail to pick anything but future superstars, and can't under stand why BB occasionally fails, and whats more doesn't pick your 'discoveries'.
My so called phantom draftnik dream world is helluva more insightful than yours.

I suppose BB ruined your carefully researched pet unknown from from East Okeefenokie U club football. Sure to be a future All-Pro that BB if he had an ounce of brains, he would have selected.
Nate Solder is the furthest offensive lineman to be a future All-Pro. Nate Solder was a former first round draft pick. Meanwhile, Tom Brady has taken a beating the past two games, no thanks to Nate Solder.

Stop making crap up.

That's what you get when rely on undrafted free agents.

Ryan Wendell was not on the injury report this past week. Stop making crap up.

Fleming played the entire preseason at offensive tackle. Stop making crap up.

Another draft pick flushed down the toilet.

My so called phantom draftnik dream world is helluva more insightful than yours.

Nate Solder is the furthest offensive lineman to be a future All-Pro. Nate Solder was a former first round draft pick. Meanwhile, Tom Brady has taken a beating the past two games, no thanks to Nate Solder.

What has Nate Solder anything to do with your 6th round alternative to Halapio? The guy from Okeefenoke club football that you wanted instead of Halapio?

Go back to the dream world Draft pages, where you can fantasize your mock drafts. And post why BB ought to draft, but is too stupid to pick, only your Street & Smith players. Players which will be picked in the Top Ten, even though his first pick is #32.

Or at least until your Mom calls you out of the basement for lunch.

What has Nate Solder anything to do with your 6th round alternative to Halapio?
Nate Solder this season has been a first round disappointment, not a future All-Pro.

The guy from Okeefenoke club football that you wanted instead of Halapio?
Resorting to what you do best, making stuff up.

Go back to the dream world Draft pages, where you can fantasize your mock drafts. And post why BB ought to draft, but is too stupid to pick, only your Street & Smith players. Players which will be picked in the Top Ten, even though his first pick is #32.
You don't know what you are talking about. No, you go back to your Street and Smith players since I don't even follow Street and Smith.

Or at least until your Mom calls you out of the basement for lunch.
All you have proven is nothing more than an excuse monger for the New England Patriots offensive line "offensive" performance.

I was mostly making a joke but if you want to be literal there are lots of bullet points the Broncos can use.

1. Pull the backers up into the A gap to confuse the OL and slow down Rivers decision making.
2. Mix and match who rushes and who drops.
3. Play physical off the line.

While the secondary isn't as good overall their pass rushers are better. They'll have to account for Miller and Ware so if you flood the A Gap and drop them it could cause Rivers fits.

I expect this game to be low scoring with the Chargers giving Manning and their run game issues.

No offense, but you basically described the blueprint to stop almost any offense with a pocket passer. But Rivers has a quick release, the secondary will need to take away Rivers' weapons or he will have far more success next Sunday.

I do admit my humor module may be defective though.

No offense, but you basically described the blueprint to stop almost any offense with a pocket passer. But Rivers has a quick release, the secondary will need to take away Rivers' weapons or he will have far more success next Sunday.

I do admit my humor module may be defective though.

While mixing coverages and being physical probably is universal I don't think you would use the linebackers in the A-Gap against a lot of QBs. You're acting like the Denver defensive backfield is awful and they're not. They're right behind the Pats in Defensive Quarterback Rating. I don't see why it's a stretch to think Denver is going to look at this tape and use a lot of the principles in their game plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe