PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fun Competitions In Camp

I’ll add WR, that’s probably the one I’ll find most interesting after OT. I’ll also be interested in the bottom of the roster competition at DB.
Thinking about it some more I’d like to expand on those.

WR I’m interested in how Boutte shows up. And how the top of the pecking order shakes out, primarily between JuJu, my offensive binkie KB, and Parker. Also how Twiggy Thornton develops. I’m expecting overall WR will turn out better than expected. Question is, how much better.

CB I’m really hoping to see Gonzalez challenged to show he’s not the second best corner drafted by the Pats this year. I’d be very happy if he plays to expectations and still finds Bolden giving him a strong run for the money. Bolden is my defensive binkie, his RAS and college coaching by Deion had me sold on him even before I learned his father played nine years as an NFL CB. Hoping he’s an overnight success years in the making. Also interested to see how Speed and Marcus and the rest of the Jones boys respond, especially Jack. He looked like a good find last year but may turn out to be a flash in the pan if he doesn’t step it up.

Wouldnt robinson be that guy?
That is not clear. One of the writers doesn't even have Robinson making the team.

For me, it is a matter of reps and role. I see both Strong and Robinson fighting for the backup role and for the #3 receiving back role (with Montgomery).

And we have Kevin Smith wishing and hoping.

I’m curious to see if Anderson can get first team reps early in camp, it would be a great sign, and to see if the mythological figure named Steuber can actually play football. Those two are the biggest X factors at OT at this point.

As mentioned FS will be fascinating, I’m not convinced they have one yet but they may just as easily have 3 or 4.

I should have included running back.

Rham is a lock to carry the load as our #1.

BACKUP/CHANGEUP BACK is unknown, but should be Strong. I haven't seen anything from Kevin Harris. He'll get a chance.

3rd ROUND BACK
Montgomery should have this role.
Strong was brought in to be the backup to Rham and perhaps be the 3rd down back.
A writer today didn't think that Robinson would even make the 53.
JJ has a contract for some reason unknown to me,

BOTTOM LINE
Belichick could be signing a backup during July or August.
A lot of veteran FA RB’s out there that can start in a pinch though….

I agree on PR. Let them compete for a backup role to make Bryant more expendable, but I want Marcus taking every punt return possible. He's too dynamic not to.

Kick return I feel could be fielded by someone else. He wasn't game breaking there (yet at least), and kick returns have been devalued a bit anyway. Save Marcus a few breaths for extra defensive snaps if someone can step up into that role there.
Is there a difference in what we look for in a PR vs. KR? In my mind, a PR needs to be more calm to field the ball under duress and better in small spaces like Wes Welker/Julian Edelman…whereas a KR, I think I would want someone like Cordarrell Patterson…too end speed and a bit bigger/taller.

Is there a difference in what we look for in a PR vs. KR? In my mind, a PR needs to be more calm to field the ball under duress and better in small spaces like Wes Welker/Julian Edelman…whereas a KR, I think I would want someone like Cordarrell Patterson…too end speed and a bit bigger/taller.
Sounds right

Will be interesting to see how BB utilizes Jonathan Jones. He's an AllWorld slot cb but also a was a very good outside cb last year with only a few hiccups. He shut down a bunch of taller wrs but Diggs got the best of him. Diggs got the best of pretty much everyone else in the nfl as well.
As of right now,Jon is still the best cb on the roster. A one two punch of Jon and Gonzo at outside cbs w. Marcus at the slot and Jack rotating outside is possible.
Oth, Jon is the one guy on the roster who could take over Dmacs spot.
Plus,Marcus is likely to see some reps on offense and sts,so Jon may be needed some in the slot as well.
My guess? Why not play Jon in all 3 of those spots? Hes capable,very experienced smart and tough vet.
At least until 2 things get established: 1. Jack Jones shows he capable of playing ft at outside cb and 2. Gonzo gets fully settled in.
When those 2 things happen,Jon could take over fs ft. At least BB has options and versatility.

As to the thread title:

- OL, I don’t want any new blocking schemes, rotation, injuries, and etc… I want one line from the get go…all season, same consistency. At least, I hope for that…

- WR, I’d like to see Thornton lock down the #2 spot. Not sure who the #1 will be…but JuJu has to be the leader in the clubhouse right now. Not expecting much from Parker…he will get boundary looks tho. Want to see Bourne push for snaps…and I am excited about the two rookies.

- FS, no idea who will be covering the back end of the D…I liked Bledsoe’s draft 411….but he hasn’t played nor been active on game days. Jalen Mills back there? Phillips? Or are we going big nickel with Mapu?

As to the thread title:

- OL, I don’t want any new blocking schemes, rotation, injuries, and etc… I want one line from the get go…all season, same consistency. At least, I hope for that…

- WR, I’d like to see Thornton lock down the #2 spot. Not sure who the #1 will be…but JuJu has to be the leader in the clubhouse right now. Not expecting much from Parker…he will get boundary looks tho. Want to see Bourne push for snaps…and I am excited about the two rookies.

- FS, no idea who will be covering the back end of the D…I liked Bledsoe’s draft 411….but he hasn’t played nor been active on game days. Jalen Mills back there? Phillips? Or are we going big nickel with Mapu?
We really should be including Gesicki with the wrs- he's not a te. A unique player. When you add him to the wr group, plus factor in BOBs proven exp. moving tes around the field, it adds another dimension to the wrs. Then there's Marcus getting a few snaps here and there. No question the offense will be improved. I'm not all that worried about the wrs.
Both ot spots are the concern. Seems to me BB is counting on Klemm to light a fire under Trent Brown who sucked last year. Maybe he can squeeze one more decent year out of him. He'll likely try all 27 of our OGs at RT and hope someone sticks. At least we got a lotta boxes of spaghetti to throw at the wall

There must be clear differences in skill set since so many players are one but not the other.

That is not clear. One of the writers doesn't even have Robinson making the team.

For me, it is a matter of reps and role. I see both Strong and Robinson fighting for the backup role and for the #3 receiving back role (with Montgomery).

And we have Kevin Smith wishing and hoping.

short of an injury settlement, there is no way Robinson doesnt make this team

He's a very solid veteran RB

Just from a talent perspective the DBs and especially CBs should be real fun to watch.

Also the Battle for Reps behind Rham should be pretty wide open too.

As it is stacked up now, the CBs are far superior to the WRs. I wonder if it is going to be incredibly frustrating for WRs to get open. Maybe it will lead to psychological damage to the WRs :evil:

I agree, i think the collisions on KR can be more vicious too, so the larger guys can hold up better

Remember when LaGarette Blount did kickoffs for us? He was like 260 lbs and was awesome at KR lol, no one wanted to line up a full speed hit on him or they'd be waking up in the ER

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back