PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fun Competitions In Camp

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I see these as the fun competitions to watch in camp and in the preseason.

FREE SAFETY

OFFENSIVE TACKLE

PUNT RETURNER

KICK RETURNER

RUNNING BACK (added)

Last edited:
I’ll add WR, that’s probably the one I’ll find most interesting after OT. I’ll also be interested in the bottom of the roster competition at DB.

Where Cole Strange ends up is my biggest interest. Can Strange move out to tackle? Onwenu has shown G is his best spot. With all of the interior OL picks I’m wondering if they view Strange as a T possibility.

Where they lineup all of these guys is interesting. Maybe they think Sow can be a good RT. Can learn under Reiff (read somewhere he’s a great locker room guy) for a year.

OT competition, big time. Will Brown and Reiff look like a reliable combo through camp? Or will some other unexpected combination emerge? Very interested in any longshot developments such as Steuber winning a backup role, Strange getting some LT tryouts, or any other such scenario.

WR, interested to see if Thornton wins a starting spot. There's also the dubious yearly tradition of overly monitoring who're going to be our 5th and 6th WRs. Tells you a bit about the infatuation with this position that's taken fandom and the league by storm.

Bledsoe vs Mills vs whoever else for FS.

CB, we're penciling in Gonzalez at CB1. He needs to show it in camp first. The expectation is he does, but we won't know for sure until it happens. Will Jack and Marcus y2 jumps become evident in camp? Will anyone step up as the 5th and 6th CBs to force Bryant out?

Just from a talent perspective the DBs and especially CBs should be real fun to watch.

Also the Battle for Reps behind Rham should be pretty wide open too.
Yes, would love to see Strong emerge as the top option after Rham. Fun competition that could be fluid through the season.

I'm looking forward to the speed guys. WR/DB/STs.

Last edited:
So I’m a glass half full type of guy. Let’s say everything goes right.
2023 line:
Brown Strange Andrews Onwenu Reiff

While also playing a solid LG, Strange also gets valuable, early T reps and excels.

Reiff takes Sow under his wing and he turned into a solid RT prospect.

Mafi just mauls anyone in his path.

Onwenu re-signs

2024 OL…
Strange Mafi Andrews Onwenu Sow

Conor Mckenna Fah GIF by Foil Arms and Hog

Just from a talent perspective the DBs and especially CBs should be real fun to watch.

Also the Battle for Reps behind Rham should be pretty wide open too.
I should have included running back.

Rham is a lock to carry the load as our #1.

BACKUP/CHANGEUP BACK is unknown, but should be Strong. I haven't seen anything from Kevin Harris. He'll get a chance.

3rd ROUND BACK
Montgomery should have this role.
Strong was brought in to be the backup to Rham and perhaps be the 3rd down back.
A writer today didn't think that Robinson would even make the 53.
JJ has a contract for some reason unknown to me,

BOTTOM LINE
Belichick could be signing a backup during July or August.

Yes, would love to see Strong emerge as the top option after Rham. Fun competition that could be fluid through the season.
I do NOT want competition during the season. But, yes, I would like to see Strong as Rham's backup.

I’ll add WR, that’s probably the one I’ll find most interesting after OT. I’ll also be interested in the bottom of the roster competition at DB.
I suppose. I think that the top 4 are set unless there is an injury. I don't think we'll be able to understand much of who will actually get the reps
until the season starts.

We may not even have 5 on the roster. I think that we will only have four active. The active roster spot is better used, especially since we have Henry and Gisecki and the 3rd down RB as major targets. Seven is enough, and Rham makes 8.

That being said, the battle of WR's #5. #6 and #7 is always good for some fun during camp and the pre-season.

Where Cole Strange ends up is my biggest interest. Can Strange move out to tackle? Onwenu has shown G is his best spot. With all of the interior OL picks I’m wondering if they view Strange as a T possibility.

Where they lineup all of these guys is interesting. Maybe they think Sow can be a good RT. Can learn under Reiff (read somewhere he’s a great locker room guy) for a year.
Klemm will try all combinations during camp and the pre-season. I don't know that we'll know much until they start the first game.

Will Jack and Marcus y2 jumps become evident in camp? Will anyone step up as the 5th and 6th CBs to force Bryant out?
Bryant and Wade.

Everyone is hoping that Bolden and Speed replace this pair.

We will need to find another backup punt returner that staff wants to be active every week.

I'm most interested to see what happens with the OL in general, but the most important part of that for me: Play around in OTA's and EARLY training camp with combinations, but after the first week of TC? Find your five and stick with 'em. Let them gel. Do everything you can to keep people in the same role, even if there are injuries. I think this was part of the strategy with signing/re-signing 3 OT and then drafting 3 interior linemen. They want to make sure they have an option at each position if the starter goes down, and don't immediately have to shuffle two other guys out of position because all of their reserves are better at tackle.

I do NOT want competition during the season. But, yes, I would like to see Strong as Rham's backup.
I don't understand? Why? Seems like they would always be in competition with each other and constantly trying to get more reps and touches. Players emerge as the season goes on all the time.

I don't understand? Why? Seems like they would always be in competition with each other and constantly trying to get more reps and touches. Players emerge as the season goes on all the time.
I suspect because having an unsettled question about who the starter is means that someone hasn't performed well enough to lock it up. Let all that happen in camp, and have starters emerge through excellence. This is not to say that everyone else won't be trying like hell to unseat them.

I suspect because having an unsettled question about who the starter is means that someone hasn't performed well enough to lock it up. Let all that happen in camp, and have starters emerge through excellence. This is not to say that everyone else won't be trying like hell to unseat them.
Sure.

Consider the OL.

I don't want a rotating line, with changes because someone had a good practice or two, or a player had a bad game. Barring injury, I want to see a 5 man starting OL, with 3 backups active every week with defined roles. OL's play much, much better when they instinctually know what the player next to him will do in every situation.

My BOTTOM LINE is that I want whoever starts at LT to be our LT going forward, absent injuries. Yes, I know a player could play himself out of the lineup. However, I don't see how a backup plays himself into replacing a starter.

I see these as the fun competitions to watch in camp and in the preseason.

FREE SAFETY

OFFENSIVE TACKLE

PUNT RETURNER

KICK RETURNER

RUNNING BACK (added)
I think Marcus Jones has these two positions absolutely locked.

I think Marcus Jones has these two positions absolutely locked.

I agree on PR. Let them compete for a backup role to make Bryant more expendable, but I want Marcus taking every punt return possible. He's too dynamic not to.

Kick return I feel could be fielded by someone else. He wasn't game breaking there (yet at least), and kick returns have been devalued a bit anyway. Save Marcus a few breaths for extra defensive snaps if someone can step up into that role there.

I’d like to see 1 of the 3 young WRs (Thornton, Boutee, Douglas) break out and secure a starting job and taking snaps from Parker and Bourne.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back