PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

From Studfeld to Dudfeld

Status
Not open for further replies.
This place is hilarious.

On-side kicks work from time to time...when they do, it's because that odd-shaped ball took a weird bounce that got it through the hands of someone, usually a veteran who made it onto the "hands" team. The ball with Sudfeld took a strange bounce, back toward his left.

I'm not going to crucify a player for that.

On the offense, it's hard to know what he was supposed to be doing on enough plays to make a determination. He's a tight end, not a WR, so on how many of his plays was he actually supposed to be out on a route that wasn't a 4th or 5th check-down?

My point is that you can't judge him from a couple of plays.

That first interception thrown his way was a fluke - a pass too high and hard. Players drop balls like that every game, it's just that in this particular instance, the ball fell into the hands of the second defender coming in.

The other times he's been thrown to have been in extremely tight coverage - more than one defender (three on one play). On one at least, Brady threw to Sudfeld while missing Thompkins AND Edelman, who were both 5-10 yards behind the D.

Is Sudfeld good? Is he going to be good? I think I'll leave that up to the coaching staff after so small a sample size. In the Atlanta game, by the way, Sudfeld drew a big defensive holding penalty because he blew by the linebacker.

Also, when Gronk is back, the Pats will tailor their offense more to the TEs, and it should present more opportunities for whomever is on the field opposite Gronk.

Not ready to throw him under the bus. They kept him because they saw something. If the Pats were so ready to pull the trigger on the kids, then how did invisible Boyce get through the first three weeks? (And it's a good thing he did, because he came up pretty big in the Atlanta game.)

This place is hilarious.

On-side kicks work from time to time...when they do, it's because that odd-shaped ball took a weird bounce that got it through the hands of someone, usually a veteran who made it onto the "hands" team. The ball with Sudfeld took a strange bounce, back toward his left.

I'm not going to crucify a player for that.

On the offense, it's hard to know what he was supposed to be doing on enough plays to make a determination. He's a tight end, not a WR, so on how many of his plays was he actually supposed to be out on a route that wasn't a 4th or 5th check-down?

My point is that you can't judge him from a couple of plays.

That first interception thrown his way was a fluke - a pass too high and hard. Players drop balls like that every game, it's just that in this particular instance, the ball fell into the hands of the second defender coming in.

The other times he's been thrown to have been in extremely tight coverage - more than one defender (three on one play). On one at least, Brady threw to Sudfeld while missing Thompkins AND Edelman, who were both 5-10 yards behind the D.

Is Sudfeld good? Is he going to be good? I think I'll leave that up to the coaching staff after so small a sample size. In the Atlanta game, by the way, Sudfeld drew a big defensive holding penalty because he blew by the linebacker.

Also, when Gronk is back, the Pats will tailor their offense more to the TEs, and it should present more opportunities for whomever is on the field opposite Gronk.

Not ready to throw him under the bus. They kept him because they saw something. If the Pats were so ready to pull the trigger on the kids, then how did invisible Boyce get through the first three weeks? (And it's a good thing he did, because he came up pretty big in the Atlanta game.)

A voice of reason cannot be allowed to poison threads like this. I won't ban you, this time.:D

I don't disagree with the main gist of your post, but the pass wasn't off in Buffalo, it was more a matter of Suds slipping on the turf. And FWIW, there was no "second" interception thrown his way, that was earmarked for Dobson.

Sudfeld's Blocking stinks he doesn't get separation in the passing game for a guy with his height who moves pretty well. He's being covered by LB's if he cannot get open occasionally against a LB what use is he:confused:? From what he showed in the presason if you are not dissapointed in his Bagel production so far you are a hyprocrite! Too bad for Dudfeld because when Gronk comes back he might as well sit in the stands.

I don't disagree with the main gist of your post, but the pass wasn't off in Buffalo, it was more a matter of Suds slipping on the turf. And FWIW, there was no "second" interception thrown his way, that was earmarked for Dobson.

May be its coinceidence but the very few times *key word being few* the ball has been thrown in Sudfeld's direction something bad has happened. I would like his active roster spot go to someone else who can actually help. Studfeld is Taxi squad material who is playing up to his Undrafted status.

May be its coinceidence but the very few times *key word being few* the ball has been thrown in Sudfeld's direction something bad has happened. I would like his active roster spot go to someone else who can actually help. Studfeld is Taxi squad material who is playing up to his Undrafted status.

Two times? One pick and an incomplete pass when Brady didn't see the two open guys streaking down the field, instead passing to a double covered Suds?

I agree he isn't doing great, but it might take more than two passes to see what he is made of. :confused2:

Didn't realize that about the second int.

And yeah, on the first. I was going to say that and compare the play to the one where Thompkins slipped and the ball tipped off his hands, but the post was going to be long as it was...

everytime he touches the ball something bad happens.:mad:

Two times? One pick and an incomplete pass when Brady didn't see the two open guys streaking down the field, instead passing to a double covered Suds?

I agree he isn't doing great, but it might take more than two passes to see what he is made of. :confused2:

Think about this. Drawing double coverage, he did exactly what would be desired by the OC. Brady too is human and just missed seeing two open WRs downfield for easy TDs. Yet somehow some here see this situation as Sdfld's fault?

Whatever happened to this kid?

Looked like a rookie sensation in preseason and camp and a valuable substitute until Gronk returned but he has done absolutely nothing and has been so non existent that he has no stats in 4 games...all zeros..no receptions,no yards...nothing.

The topper was the mishandled onside kick he blundered that could have put the Pats in a dangerous situation had it not been for the superior play of Talib.

I would think this guy is probably cut once Gronk returns I would assume,sure he is just a rookie but he has done nothing to say he should remain on the active roster.

Thank heavens another stud from camp has produced ....Thompkins,Dudfeld is another story.

These are things that come to mind:

1. Sudfeld was never that good, we were all in a vulnerable regarding the tight end position in light of the Hernandez situation and thought that us finding this stud UDFA tight end was some sort of cosmic repayment for how we were wronged as a team, so we played up everything Sudfeld did an example being his touchdown catch in week 2 of the preseason was actually a great pass by Brady which snuck up on Sudfeld leading to his bobbling it then pulling it in giving the perception of a more spectacular catch than it was as a player like Gronkowski would have made the catch cleanly in stride and it would have just been Gronk running a seem route - business as usual.

2. Sudfeld is in fact really talented and it is mental thing and he lacks confidence since his fumble and benching in the first quarter of the third preseason game in Detroit, and ever since then things have just gotten worse and worse.

3. He walked under a ladder.

4. A black cat crossed in front of him.

5. He broke a mirror.

Whatever it is the guy is in a really bad place as a player and running him out there still seems to be detrimental to the team and is development.

Sudfeld's Blocking stinks

You know this how, exactly? If his blocking stunk, I doubt he would have made the 53, particularly since they knew Gronk wouldn't be around for a few weeks.

he doesn't get separation in the passing game for a guy with his height who moves pretty well. He's being covered by LB's if he cannot get open occasionally against a LB what use is he:confused:?

On the few plays we've seen him, yes he does. He was getting separation when he was held in Atlanta, and he was wide open deep when Brady missed him in the Tampa game. He was also open when he slipped on the int in the Buffalo game. Your sample size is TINY, yet you're speaking definitively.

From what he showed in the presason if you are not dissapointed in his Bagel production so far you are a hyprocrite! Too bad for Dudfeld because when Gronk comes back he might as well sit in the stands.

I've watched football enough years to never get too excited by a preseason performance, particularly from a rookie. Sometimes you see things - like Boyce's extra jet - that you think might project well, but there's so much more going into an NFL career than a few tangibles here and there.

"Hypocrite"? Really? I don't think you know what that word means. I never expected Sudfeld to make the team over Ballard and Fells, and was shocked when he did, even after his preseason performance.

Just an FYI, Sudfeld got hurt in Buffalo (hammy) and missed the 4th quarter. He didn't play against the Jets (hammy) and only had 8 snaps against Atlanta.

If we're this quick to throw people under the bus, Dobson would be long gone after the Jets game (and now look at how we're all praying he's okay and can be back on the field after that vicious hit), as would Boyce, who was invisible until crunch time in Atlanta, then stepped up on that big stage.

Pardon me for continuing to root for the kid. I don't know that he's NFL ready, but they didn't waive him because they realized he wouldn't get to the PS. He's got tremendous upside, it seems. He needs about 20 pounds of muscle - nothing a full off-season in the NFL won't do to that frame.

He's got great concentration and physical attributes, and from what anyone can tell, a great attitude about the game.

I hope Brady's got something left in the tank a couple of years down the road, because I expect this young receiving corps to be elite. I really do.

Amendola
Boyce
Dobson
Thompkins
Sudfeld
Gronk

Pick agree he should have more of an opportunity to develop, whether that should include being part of the 46 man game day roster is questionable in my mind at this point.

Him being given a chance to develop further aside there has been more than just 2 passes:

~ His red zone fumble against the Lions in week 3 of preseason
~ The ball that went off his hands and led to and was intercepted by Justin Rogers in week 1
~ He was unable to create separation or at least use his size to knock down a pass that was intercepted by Barron in week 3
~ The miscue recovering the onside kick this past week against Atlanta

The only game this year that Sudfeld was not been involved in a play that resulted in a extra possession for the opposing teams offense was week 2. Sudfeld did not dress in week 2 so he is not helping us being out there that is for sure.

If we're this quick to throw people under the bus, Dobson would be long gone after the Jets game (and now look at how we're all praying he's okay and can be back on the field after that vicious hit), as would Boyce, who was invisible until crunch time in Atlanta, then stepped up on that big stage.

Actually with Dobson that negative in the Jets game was actually a postive because he showed he can get Open. Which he followed upon on in recent games. On Sudfeld now what can we say? Absolutely NOTHING! which his stats or lack there of signifies.:D

~ He was unable to create separation or at least use his size to knock down a pass that was intercepted by Barron in week 3.

That isn't remotely what happened. Color me confused. :confused:

3 games and he hasn't lit up the scoreboards? Cut his pos ass.

I can't believe I am posting again in this thread, but one last thing - Let's see how Sudfeld performs when Gronk gets back. With Gronk drawing extra coverage, this guy could start to emerge as a viable #2 TE. Right now he is the primary guy over the middle and he hasn't performed in that respect. But with Gronk taking double teams, he might become a receiving target.

I can't believe I am posting again in this thread, but one last thing - Let's see how Sudfeld performs when Gronk gets back. With Gronk drawing extra coverage, this guy could start to emerge as a viable #2 TE. Right now he is the primary guy over the middle and he hasn't performed in that respect. But with Gronk taking double teams, he might become a receiving target.

My thoughts exactly. Sudfeld isn't really a top receiving TE, but as a complimentary guy I think he can do some damage.

Agreed with the last few posts. Yes it's been frustrating as **** but perhaps Sud can be very helpful to us in a different role and with more experience.

Now that I've had time to think of his major blunders after the inital anger, both would have been difficult plays to make. I may have to look at the Buffalo INT again but from what I remember it wasn't an easy grab by any means. 2 nights ago, very tricky bounce I'd imagine most would have trouble with that.

That isn't remotely what happened. Color me confused. :confused:

Maybe separation wasn't the best word to use, so I will rephrase and say Sudfeld was unable to create enough space to make a play on the ball either to catch it or knock it down, that is something I feel a 6'7 250 LB guy should have been able to do against a 6'0 210 LB. Mark Barron.

Even if you want to place the blame on Brady for that play it is only 1 the others I listed still occurred.

Maybe separation wasn't the best word to use, so I will rephrase and say Sudfeld was unable to create enough space to make a play on the ball either to catch it or knock it down, that is something I feel a 6'7 250 LB guy should have been able to do against a 6'0 210 LB. Mark Barron.

Even if you want to place the blame on Brady for that play it is only 1 the others I listed still occurred.

Whether you feel it or not, there was nothing Sudfeld could have done on that play.

As to your original claim, no one says Zach is playing well, but you are embelishing your claims a great deal. Sneaking in the 3rd quarter fumble in a preseason game as if it were part of the "every game he's led to a turnover" is nice sleight of hand. Of course, if you include that, then you have to include that he actually looked very impressive in the first two preseason games. If you discount those, then you have to discount the fumble as well.

Ultimately, he has had two noticeably bad plays in his first three games and only one positive. Not what we are looking for, but not nearly what you originally suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents