PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

From PFT: Wow these guys don't give up [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: From PFT: Wow these guys don't give up.

Legit rumor: Player 'a' might be cut

Bizarre rumor: player 'a' might be cut because an alien told the front office to do it.

There've been more rumors leaning towards the latter of late. As for them apologizing, that's just nonsense, "FOR NOW".

Really? Like what?

Well, there's just too much stuff from today for me to go crazy delving, but this line of logic is a perfect example of the sort of idiocy/bizarreness I'm talking about:

Why do we think that Gruden likely will cut Simms? Because Gruden actually has said -- apparently with a straight face -- that he might keep four quarterbacks on the final 53-man roster.

FYI, Tampa's cuts have been announced. The team kept 4 quarterbacks.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2007-09-01-168871137_x.htm

It does not read like a mea culpa. The "FOR NOW" reads like a a stubborn idiot claiming that he was right when the reality is against him.

If the rumor was placed by someone at the behest of BB, "for now" is exactly the message they would want Florio to be reporting... so that Moss doesn't think he's safe just because he made the 53 man roster.

You can call him an idiot if you want and write it off - or the other possiblity that apparently CANNOT be fathomed by many is that the rumor was placed by the organization for a reason. I'm not saying it was - just that I'm keeping in mind its possible... something others apparently aren't able to do.

Well, there's just too much stuff from today for me to go crazy delving, but this line of logic is a perfect example of the sort of idiocy/bizarreness I'm talking about:

FYI, Tampa's cuts have been announced. The team kept 4 quarterbacks.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2007-09-01-168871137_x.htm

And this is the equivalent of the "alien" thing you were talking about before. This is THAT bizarre? That the Bucs kept 4 and PFT was wrong about something pretty unusual happening? Come on - you're better than that.

And this is the equivalent of the "alien" thing you were talking about before. This is THAT bizarre? That the Bucs kept 4 and PFT was wrong about something pretty unusual happening? Come on - you're better than that.

And I noted that I wasn't going to delve through with all the new stuff there, but this was a good example of the type of idiocy going on.

And please don't pretend that the logic PFT used makes sense. As a Patriots fan, you know full well that teams sometimes keep 4 quarterbacks. You're better than that.

Re: From PFT: Wow these guys don't give up

I don't know. I haven't seen any change in the PFT site and their rumor mill. He heard a rumor about Moss which Tomase confirmed was out there before Florio even wrote his piece, enough to even have Karen Guregian to follow up on it with Moss' agent. WEEI supposably reported a rumor that Moss was going to the PUP (which is impossible). So there rumors were out there whether Florio reported them or not.

I know people want to blame Felger on this, but I doubt this rumor would have had the legs it apparently had if Felger was just trying to spread gossip to smear Moss.

As for Florio's "for now" comments, I have seen him do that a thousand times on rumors that didn't come true when they were rumored to. That is Florio's style. The only difference now is Moss who is the subject of that rumor.

People have to keep in mind, PFT's Rumor Mill is just that - a bunch of rumors. Florio doesn't present everything as fact on that page and does freely post some unsubstantiated rumors. But, as in this case, he doesn't portray them as coming from sources close to the situation. Sometimes he gets them right and sometimes he doesn't. Florio doesn't present himself as hard journalist who requires independent verification before putting out a story. You have to read virtually everything on the Rumor Mill page that way. Always have.

The thing is there could actually be some pieces of reality to this story. The Pats could be concerned about Moss and may be keeping him on a short leash. If he does refuse to act as a decoy and dogs it on plays not going to him, he could be cut. Who knows? The Pats did carry six WR and with this depth, it does seem a little bit redundant. Unless they are concerned about Moss' (or another WR's) healthy and/or attitude.

Last edited:

And I noted that I wasn't going to delve through with all the new stuff there, but this was a good example of the type of idiocy going on.

And please don't pretend that the logic PFT used makes sense. As a Patriots fan, you know full well that teams sometimes keep 4 quarterbacks. You're better than that.

No, Deus. Don't be disingenuous. You are the one who equated the PFT 4 QB's prediction to - and I quote - "Bizarre rumor: player 'a' might be cut because an alien told the front office to do it."

I realize you're being hyperbolic, but metaphorical or over-the-top or WHATEVER, your example doesn't even come CLOSE to holding water. And it is criticism of wrong predictions as somehow proof that PFT is INSANE or BIZARRE that makes your argument seem petty and steeped in something foreign to legitimate.

Last edited:

I never look at PFT anymore. They think they know everything and they annoy me.

Fascinating. Delving.

The problem with PFT is they're right enough to read but you sure as hell can't take what they say to the bank - or even to the piggy bank.

No, Deus. Don't be disingenuous. You are the one who equated the PFT 4 QB's prediction to - and I quote - "Bizarre rumor: player 'a' might be cut because an alien told the front office to do it."

I realize you're being hyperbolic, but metaphorical or over-the-top or WHATEVER, your example doesn't even come CLOSE to holding water. And it is criticism of wrong predictions as somehow proof that PFT is INSANE or BIZARRE that makes your argument seem petty and steeped in something foreign to legitimate.

No, that's not what I typed. You can make any claim you want, but the words are right here in the thread. Again:

To claim that the reason they think a quarterback is going to be cut is that the team stated it would carry 4 quarterbacks is idiotic. In fact, it's almost as idiotic as this discussion......

almost.

Whatever, deus. I see this in technicolor:

Originally Posted by Deus Irae

Bizarre rumor: player 'a' might be cut because an alien told the front office to do it.

Whatever, deus. I see this in technicolor:

Originally Posted by Deus Irae

You see what you want to see, but you sure as hell aren't seeing in 'technicolor', since I specifically noted that I wasn't going to look for bizarre rumors and instead noted an idiotic one.

Last edited:

The problem with PFT is they're right enough to read but you sure as hell can't take what they say to the bank - or even to the piggy bank.

But there isn't a site out that meets that standard... the only reporters who are close, e.g. Adam Schefter, rarely have the story until just barely before it's publicly released anyway.

But there isn't a site out that meets that standard... the only reporters who are close, e.g. Adam Schefter, rarely have the story until just barely before it's publicly released anyway.

So you'd rather have them make up a story that will be a scoop if it happens to be right (law of averages) than wait until they have a real story?

Apparently you're not alone.

By the way I heard rumblings that (generic sensational player) might be gone for the season.

So you'd rather have them make up a story that will be a scoop if it happens to be right (law of averages) than wait until they have a real story?

No, of course not. You are accusing PFT of making stuff up. But I have been reading the site for quite a while, and I don't believe that that is true.

Apparently a lot of people agree with me.

There have been enough good predictions and advance information that it looks like many of their sources are accurate. PFT is usually very good about indicating what is Florio's opinion and what his sources are saying, and the degree to which he trusts a source. And with the Vick story and the "TurdWatch" feature they have been highly on the mark and in some cases are the only place you will get the story.

I have no problem with PFT...sometimes they get it right..sometimes not but there aren't any better sites for football rumors...wish there were..but..not...

Here's what I think...we all know BB HATES giving up info to anyone ever. So Moss has been purposely held out of everything after initially looking great before the pre-season games. BB knows what he has and is comfortable with it. He lets Moss sit so there's not some freak season ending injury in a game that means basically nothing. He lets the rumors swirl around. The old pain in the butt Moss is back, he's going to get cut, he can't be a team player, and so on and so on. He may not even play against the Jets. Then, in game two he and Brady totally shred a Chargers defense that was not planning on Moss playing much, if at all.

I like JoeSixPat's theory for plausibility, though it doesn't make me feel very good because it would mean that Moss is "the Moss of old" but NOT in a good way. To be dogging it this early with what's on the line would confirm he's an absolute idiot. I just always thought BB/Pioli would have had a better read on him than that, but that probably means I'm drinking too much Kool-Aid.

Here's what I think...we all know BB HATES giving up info to anyone ever. So Moss has been purposely held out of everything after initially looking great before the pre-season games. BB knows what he has and is comfortable with it. He lets Moss sit so there's not some freak season ending injury in a game that means basically nothing. He lets the rumors swirl around. The old pain in the butt Moss is back, he's going to get cut, he can't be a team player, and so on and so on. He may not even play against the Jets. Then, in game two he and Brady totally shred a Chargers defense that was not planning on Moss playing much, if at all.

I don't buy that one bit. Moss practiced for six days and has never played in anything close to a real game situation running this offense with Brady throwing to him. This is a complicated offense and the whole QB/WR relationship is all about timing and being on the same page. That cannot be turned on like a light switch. It is all about repetition.

I really doubt Moss was held out of practice for any other reason than that he is injured. There is no great master plan. If Belichick is holding out Moss just as decoy, it is likely to blow up in his face because it isn't likely that Brady and Moss are going to be on the same page. Maybe if he was practicing all training camp and showing timing down, but after six days of practice?

I like JoeSixPat's theory for plausibility, though it doesn't make me feel very good because it would mean that Moss is "the Moss of old" but NOT in a good way. To be dogging it this early with what's on the line would confirm he's an absolute idiot. I just always thought BB/Pioli would have had a better read on him than that, but that probably means I'm drinking too much Kool-Aid.

If you look at the Moss contract, Belichick and Pioli were clearly not 100% sold on Moss. Virtually all of his salary (including bonuses) were tied to him making the final 53 man roster. That tells me that they thought it was possible that Moss may not make the final 53 man roster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back