PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Hobbs can't shut up about injury report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Hobbs can't shut up about injury report

Oh, those poor, misled gamblers! :rolleyes:

BB's always hated the injury report - and I don't blame him. I think its stupid and I think the fact that Goodell wants to take out every aspect that makes the NFL a thinking man's (and woman's) game - a veritable game of violent chess - is going to change the face of the game, and not for the better.

Seriously - what does anyone and everyone make of BB puting Brady on the injury report each and every week? It's him thumbing his nose at the rule (not necessarilly at Goodell) and honestly acknowledging that, "yes, something could happen that would cause me not to play my star QB so I'm going to default and list him as questionable or probable or whatever he lists him at"

That's BB actually reading a rule as litterally as possible just to make a point to the NFL how silly they are over this rule.

I'm sure you'll hear other naive fans say "every other team ISN'T doing it" but of course everyone admits they are to one degree or another.

The main issue here is that Hobbs, by opening his mouth, has given Goodell a chance to penalize the Patriots when there was no reason to.

No doubt Hobbs and other players who play injured want that to be known so their injuries are factored into their performance - but this was NOT the way to go about that.

I wouldn't worry too much. I'm sure we all remember the difference between being hurt and injured. Given that Hobbs played, we know he was hurt, not injured. I don't think we have to worry even a little about being punished for this.
BB's always hated the injury report - and I don't blame him. I think its stupid and I think the fact that Goodell wants to take out every aspect that makes the NFL a thinking man's (and woman's) game - a veritable game of violent chess - is going to change the face of the game, and not for the better.

Seriously - what does anyone and everyone make of BB puting Brady on the injury report each and every week? It's him thumbing his nose at the rule (not necessarilly at Goodell) and honestly acknowledging that, "yes, something could happen that would cause me not to play my star QB so I'm going to default and list him as questionable or probable or whatever he lists him at"

That's BB actually reading a rule as litterally as possible just to make a point to the NFL how silly they are over this rule.

I'm sure you'll hear other naive fans say "every other team ISN'T doing it" but of course everyone admits they are to one degree or another.

The main issue here is that Hobbs, by opening his mouth, has given Goodell a chance to penalize the Patriots when there was no reason to.

No doubt Hobbs and other players who play injured want that to be known so their injuries are factored into their performance - but this was NOT the way to go about that.

I wouldn't worry too much. I'm sure we all remember the difference between being hurt and injured. Given that Hobbs played, we know he was hurt, not injured. I don't think we have to worry even a little about being punished for this.

Part of me almost hopes they do attempt a fine - and then my hope would be we get Florio and others in the media to put the Commissioner on the spot and ask him why he did nothing when the Steelers and other teams were named in media reports openly thwarting the injury report.

Part of me almost hopes they do attempt a fine - and then my hope would be we get Florio and others in the media to put the Commissioner on the spot and ask him why he did nothing when the Steelers and other teams were named in media reports openly thwarting the injury report.

Yeah, that worked well on the taping issue, I'm gonna go with "don't poke the bear" on this one, we all know Florio and others in the media have no intention of ever putting the Commissioner on the spot about any "allegations" about of perceived improprieties against the Patriots, and they most certainly won't be calling for evenhanded investigations into whether the rest of the league partook in the same practice. See Jets, Dolphins; Spygate

Why bother saying anything?

PFT should rename itself Patriots Football Talk.. the Pats Rumormill, all Pats rumor all of the time.. I thought there were 32 teams in the NFL..

Since the injury report refers to participation in practice Wed/Thu and chance of playing on Friday, the Pats would only be in violation if Hobbs missed any practice time or had a chance of not playing. Since he played almost every snap all year, and the league has videos of each practice anyway, I don't see what the problem is.

Eaxctly. This is Florio trying to drum up hits, if it's not Patriots during the offseason it's not news. This is a non-story.

Should teams be required to list every part of a player's body that hurts?? Is that what is required?? Hobbs says he practiced and played in pain last season. Isn't every player hurting after week 1?? Is the purpose of the injury report to list injuries or provide an idea of who will or will not play or both?? If an injury will not affect a player's status does it need to be listed??

I’d expect that if this is made an issue, 90-95% of every team's rosters will be listed as questionable every week next season and listing multiple ailments and body parts.

Injury/Participation definitions are:
(O) Out = definitely will not play
(D) Doubtful = at least 75% chance will not play
(Q) Questionable = 50-50 chance will not play
(P) Probable = virtual certainty will be available for normal duty

The overall accuracy of the injury report isn't the issue. There are really only 2 situations to be monitored:

1) Player not listed or listed as probable and then doesn't play
2) Player listed as doubtful and then does play

The Pats got in trouble a few years back when Seymour was listed as probable and then didn't travel to Denver for a game. I don't think anyone is accusing them of something like that.

The poster children for this behavior would be the ever classy Bolts in the AFCC game. Listing Rivers and Gates as doubtful (both started) and not listing LdT at all. Were the Bolts even reprimanded by the league for this? If not, I don't know how anyone could top that enough to deserve a punishment.

I am in complete agreement with BadMoFo on this, and suspect that Florio doesn't really understand the injury report. While the Patriots might well be playing with the list at times, not letting the rest of the league know just how badly hurt the starting cornerback is, when he has every intention of playing through the pain, has nothing to do with the injury report per se. Florio needs to reconsider this stance.

Moreover, the thought that the Pats or any other team are "cheating the gamblers" seems an unlikely if hilarious crusade for a moral high-grounder.

Hobbs is an idiot. He plays hard, but he shouldn't open his mouth between August and February.

Um, Ellis? Coach Belichick has scheduled you for another surgery. He thinks you need to have your vocal cords removed.

I wish.

Last edited:
The only reason to say this was to benefit Ellis Hobbs. It gives him an excuse for being so terrible at the end of the SB. It certainly doesn't help the NE Patriots in any way.

That's not the Patriot Way.

Can I place a wager in Vegas on whether Hobbs will be with the Pats on opening day?

Hobbs didn't say anything wrong, IMO.

Vrabel also said similar things during the season last year, pointing out that it is stupid to give the other team more ammunition to gameplan against you.

Florio will latch onto anything he can label an impropriety, turn it into a horse, and beat it to death for the sake of more page views, though.

Florio feeds on page views from junky Pat fans. He will say the the most outrageous trivia that will get his site referenced on other forums.

Last edited:
The only reason to say this was to benefit Ellis Hobbs. It gives him an excuse for being so terrible at the end of the SB. It certainly doesn't help the NE Patriots in any way.

Can I place a wager in Vegas on whether Hobbs will be with the Pats on opening day?

2 postseason surgeries is not an 'excuse', and Hobbs will be starting at cornerback for the team this season.

Hobbs is an idiot. He plays hard, but he shouldn't open his mouth between August and February.

1.) Hobbs didn't say anything wrong

2.) The team was already publicly known to be playing games with the list. Brady's shoulder says "hello"

Only if you want to lose your money. Hobbs will be the starting LCB unless his shoulder isn't fully healed.

Belichick could care less what they say about their own situation in the off season. He does what he does to protect them and the team in season. He isn't running a gulag. And BTW Hobbs wasn't terrible at the end of the SB - the coverage his bosses called and that blitz execution was.

When people got their shorts in a bunch after the SD playoff game in 2006, siding with irate and weepy trolls and calling Hobbs names for hurting LdT's feelings and upsetting crymeaRivers, Belichick stated that Ellis Hobbs is good for the NEP. That's a lotta love coming from a man of few words about his players. I presume that he said that and feels that way because Ellis brings it, has since he replaced the bust known as Dwayne Starks, provides a spark on defense and ST and plays well through injuries and didn't whine when Asante "I'm uncomfortable on the right side" Samuel had to have his LCB position Hobbs beat him out of in TC in 2006 back in order to function.

Think Rajon Rondo would have a long career as a Patriot?
--- Dan

http://www.yardbarker.com/users/RajonRondo
Let it get away
submitted by RajonRondo 17 hours ago
If you were watching the game you know that I injured my ankle in the third quarter. It happened on a fast break and I rolled it. I think I may have stepped on someone's foot, but I still haven't seen the play. It's a different feeling than I've ever had. I've injured my ankle before but this one is unlike the others. The pain is on the inside of my foot. All the other ankle sprains have been on the outside. I will be getting a lot of treatment tonight, tomorrow, Thursday to try to get it ready to go for game 4. I did try to go again in the fourth quarter, but I really couldn't make any hard cuts. No one is 100% at this point, but I was probably 50%. Coach made the right decision taking me out because I didn't have my quickness. E House did a great job filling in. When his name was called he was ready to play and that's big for us.
There's no question this one is disappointing. We feel like we had a chance to really put them away and go up 3-0. Paul never had a chance to get in a rhythm because of foul trouble and we just struggled on offense. Even though we played very bad we still had a chance in the end. We just didn't get the stops down the stretch when we needed it. They were very aggressive tonight similar to the way we were in game 2. But in the end we still had a chance but let it get away.
Heading back to the hotel and will keep working on my ankle. Lots of ice and I'll keep it elevated. I'll have more later. Until then I'll holla.

The only shocking development in that story is Ellis' inability to keep his mouth shut. Pretty sure I remember Florio writing a similar story a while back.

He's gonna get a dose of Belichick/Pioli that he'll never forget.

Have I said lately how much I miss football?

As long as we don't lose another 1st round pick... I guess I don't care. But that wasn't the smartest thing for him to talk about.

You sure could but you'd lose. We already lost Samuel and Gay. You suggesting we throw Wheatley out there to start, a late 2nd round rookie? LOL

Last edited:
1.) Hobbs didn't say anything wrong

2.) The team was already publicly known to be playing games with the list. Brady's shoulder says "hello"

Maybe so, but that doesn't make it right, either. Why bother saying anything? It just adds fuel to the fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back