Welcome to PatsFans.com

PFT creating controversy?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Rob0729, Sep 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +518 / 5 / -1

I know it is a shock.

From PFT on the end of Spy Gate:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Ok, on the Raiders thing. Why would the Pats illegally record audio of Gannon calling the audible and then send it to the Raiders? If Belichick is this evil genius doing all these covert espinage, would he send evidence that he is doing to the team he is spying on even by accident? I don't get how this is proof of the Pats audiotaping signals. It could easily have been the audio feed from the network since they do record sounds from the field all game even if they don't broadcast it.
  2. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

He's a gutter whore, nothing MORE. If a tape exsisted, it would have surfaced back in 2002. No way they just would have tossed in in the garbage and said "gee, that really sucks". If TB and RG knew about it (the tape) all the players did, and there is no way it was quieted by that many people for so long, only to have is surface at this point (after tapegate broke).

100% crap. Move along folks, nothing to see here.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  3. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +214 / 4 / -5

IANAL, but it seems that Mr. Florio has forgotten the definition of laches.

As you said, if said tape existed, we'd have known about it in 2002.
  4. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +518 / 5 / -1

Even if the tape existed, wouldn't Florio, as a lawyer, know little things like proving chain of custody or obtaining proof that the Patriots actually were the ones who recorded the tape. Remember the Dolphins bought a tape supposably off the internet that had clear audio of Brady's audibles.

If the Raiders could produce the tape right now, how does the league prove that the Pats were the ones who recorded it? Fingerprints and DNA wouldn't last over nearly six years. Why would the league even believe that a tape that the Raiders had in their possession for nearly six years and never gave it to the league was mysteriously sent to them and recorded by the Patriots?

If this is the allegation with the hardest evidence floating around out there, it isn't surprising the league closed the case.
  5. BoTown

BoTown Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

What doesn't "feel right" to Florio is that this scandal is over and done with. He would probably prefer to keep stirring the pot. He doesn't want this to go away.
  6. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +456 / 5 / -6

#75 Jersey

He was no different from any other officer in the ward room, they were all disloyal. I tried to run the ship properly, by the book, but they fought me at every turn. The crew wanted to walk around with their shirt tails hanging out, that's all right, let them. Take the tow line, defective equipment, no more, no less. But they encouraged the crew to go around scoffing at me, and spreading wild rumors about steaming in circles, and then old yellow-strain. I was to blame for Lt. Maryk's incompetence and poor seamanship. Lt. Maryk was the perfect officer, but not Captain Queeg. Ah, but the strawberries, that's where I had them, they laughed at me and made jokes, but I proved beyond the shadow of a doubt, with geometric logic, that a duplicate key to the ward room icebox did exist, and I've had produced that key if they hadn't pulled the Caine out of action...")

[​IMG]
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +199 / 7 / -24

Used to respect PFT, for what it was a rumor thing where you might get some information on the NFL.. however, after their flaming of this situation, I still visit, but view things more skeptically. The title of this thread, PFT creating controversy is what they do.. it is about generating hits..
  8. cubicle_6

cubicle_6 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There was nothing compelling about Easterbrook's pathetic column
    that PFT credits.
    There continues to be ridiculous lack of understanding how
    a team's offense works given that Easterbrook still thinks it possible that the Patriots were stealing signs in the Charger game.
    It's unbelievable.
    These people don't stop to think how could that be?
    If they did, they's understand it's just not realistic.
  9. Cramden

Cramden Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Exactly. "Spygate" to Florio has been like the OJ trial was to Geraldo Rivera.
  10. cartmen

cartmen Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

what I am shocked by is that those guys are still grumbling over a playoff game that happened 6 years ago. The Defense had a good game but I wouldn't call it dominating. The offense was actually pretty mediocre in that game and thanks to a tuck rule call we got another shot at it. GET OVER YOURSELVES!! you still had a shot at preventing them from getting anywhere near the 31 yd line to tie it up and you couldn't

Why aint they ratting on the Bucs the following year they lambasted them made it look like they were in the huddle with them. Bunch of babies !
  11. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Rookie

Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

can't this stuff just go away, haven't people realized its not helping anyones image. It's not like mangini is coming out of this clean, he sounds like a baby and a sore loser....and so do people like gannon who are just mad they lost to us.
  12. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Something doesn't feel right or smell right about this "clear sound" tape. That game, was played in the middle of a snowstorm. When have any of us ever been in a snowstorm when the wind wasn't howling or at least blowing enough to get detected by the microphone? They could barely see out there (except for Wiggins with 10 catches) and we're supposed to believe there is an audiotape with "clear sounds". GMAFB. I wrote to Florio, let's see if he either responds or calls someone to task. Someone else preferably for a change.
    Just my $0.02,
  13. BigSee93

BigSee93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The fact that PFT credits Easterbrook,pretty much sums up their agenda. PFT is looking more like the "National Enquirer" of the NFL...
  14. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

and it ended up like Al Capone's vault........
  15. MetalBleachers

MetalBleachers Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's the thing: in 2002, Callahan didn't change his team's audibles going against Gruden, the coach who essentially created that offense. :eek: Amazing that we're nitpicking alleged audible recordings six years later.

Raiders are still mad about Tuck Everlasting. They forget that their running D fell apart in OT, and that they would have lost to the Steelers the next week. My, these grapes are sour.
  16. Bella*chick

Bella*chick Addicted to the light

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Oh, please. He's just mad because his "bombshell" fizzled completely.

If he wants to whine about how something "feels wrong" about this, then why isn't he asking the simple, common sense question of why this would come out SIX YEARS after it happened. And during a time when everyone and their dog was gleefully taking advantage of slinging mud at the Patriots.

This guy is really not very bright.
  17. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +604 / 6 / -0

That's it exactly -- and to an extent, I don't blame him. BUT, I think he's risking killing the golden goose of his site by inserting so much of his own opinion and hypothesizing.

Mike Florio is not a football expert. People did not flock to his blog to read his opinions on the game. They came because he offered a steady flow of insider gossip and innuendo, the stuff that circulates the back rooms of the NFL but fans are seldom privy to. Insofar as he delivers that gossip and innuendo the site is great, even though a significant amount of it turns out to be wrong. (I defended him in the "Moss might be cut" case, even though it was asinine, because it was believable that the rumor existed.) Such is life on the grapevine.

But then the trouble starts. Florio attracts a huge audience, is invited as a guest on sports talk shows, and starts to believe his opinion actually matters. Worse yet, he makes it very, very (purposefully?) unclear whether any given statement is his own opinion or something he's heard from somebody with actual knowledge of the game. And the more he does that, the less and less worthwhile his site is. Any football fan off the street can run his mouth off about what he thinks "sounds right," and nobody wants to read that crap.

Golden goose, Mr. Florio. Read up on it.
  18. Oswlek

Oswlek Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Florio loses on this one.

1) Gannon was just on WEEI yesterday and he specifically called all the clamoring over NE "sour grapes" and said he didn't believe that it had any impact on the games, that game in particular. Do you really think he would have said that if he had a smoking gun of evidence to the contrary?

2) The only thing "compelling" about Easterbrooks TMQ was that it compelled several men in white coats to make their way over to his Buffalo home. Did Florio even read the comments on that article? For every one that agreed with Easterbrooks contentions, there were 20 others that pointed out logic flaws or complete factual inaccuracies. That TMQ was as grounded in reality as unicorns and pots at the end of rainbows. Oh, did I mention that Easterbrook is a Bills fan and has never failed to take shots at NE before. Florio comes off as a complete idiot by even mentioning that article in a positive manner.

The league has closed the book because the story is over. Interestingly enough, Florio tries to point out the league's clandestine intentions when his couldn't be more clear.
  19. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 4 / -3

Pretty funny stuff. You know Florio is aware of the Dolphins' story against the Patriots last year, but he leaves that part out because of his vendetta.
  20. Bella*chick

Bella*chick Addicted to the light

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

LOL about Easterbrook. Actually, his article did compel me to cancel my ESPN Insider subscription and quit that site forever.

Did someone say Florio was a lawyer? I wonder where he got his JD....Bubba's Law School and Tackle Shop? I agree with patchick that he may felt like a minor celebrity through all this and is sorely disappointed that it ended so quietly.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.