PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

From PFT: Wow these guys don't give up [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: From PFT: Wow these guys don't give up

If you look at the Moss contract, Belichick and Pioli were clearly not 100% sold on Moss. Virtually all of his salary (including bonuses) were tied to him making the final 53 man roster. That tells me that they thought it was possible that Moss may not make the final 53 man roster.

That is true. The deal was and still remains a no-brainer.

I guess I just really want Moss to work out. It would be so much fun to watch.

That is true. The deal was and still remains a no-brainer.

I guess I just really want Moss to work out. It would be so much fun to watch.

I look at it differently.

As awesome Moss's history and current potential may seem, the Pats paid him what his current market value was.

He would not have gotten that much more from Green Bay.

Moss was no dummy and recognized this was the best opportunity to ressurect his career.

He really didn't take a big pay cut to come here, because based on his performance in Oakland the last two years, he might have gotten cut outright if their were no suitors.

His option would have been to sign for a veteran minimum, which i doubt he would've done.

That's why i've NEVER been worried about Moss THIS year.

This is his last chance to cash in. He may be alot of things, but he's not an idiot.

There is no actual fact cited anywhere in any of the stories PFT is running.

There is some math, for what it's worth.

There is also the fact that he's been out for the pre-season.

If anything, it pretty much puts it to rest that we have a 53 man roster that Moss is on. If they wanted to save money (2.5M -- are you kidding me? You know what the upside on that is???)... if they wanted to save money, they could have sent him packing and saved a roster spot, without exposing their 54th best guy to offers elsewhere in the league.

Yeah, there's a reason it's called the "rumor mill." You think everything you read there will pan out?

By the way, rumor mills are favorites for fantasy football freaks (such as myself.) Any such murmors or mumblings are taking semi-seriously. Some guys have decent money invested in their leagues.

I'm thinking that's the kind of story that keeps the fantasy guy weighing his #2 receiver options coming back over and over again.

It's just not reporting.

PFnV

FYI ... that beat STILL goes on.
Little while ago, this went up:

MOSS RUMORS DON'T DIE

We are hearing more -- not less -- of those rumors that the Patriots might pull the plug prematurely on the Randy Moss experiment.

The talk is intensifying in the media, and among league insiders.

Tomase is probably calling them on the hour, every hour. That's their intensifying rumor.

I like JoeSixPat's theory for plausibility, though it doesn't make me feel very good because it would mean that Moss is "the Moss of old" but NOT in a good way. To be dogging it this early with what's on the line would confirm he's an absolute idiot. I just always thought BB/Pioli would have had a better read on him than that, but that probably means I'm drinking too much Kool-Aid.

It could just be preventative... and it could also be to send a message to other teams.... "don't think for a second that Moss will be dogging it... he knows what will happen to him if he does"

It could have also been an attempt for the Patriots - with a well stocked WR arsenal (6 on the roster - 4 of whom at most will dress for games) with a deep threat already on the team in Stallworth might have wanted to test the trade waters as well as send a message.

Would another team have given up more than a 4th rounder to get Moss? I don't know... but maybe the team wanted to test the interest level by floating the rumor that he might be cut... and if a team wants to avoid competing with 30 other teams, they might want to work a deal. (believe it or not I came up with this line before reading the Herald or PFT this morning)

Again, I'm just brainstorming but there are any number of reasons why an organization starts rumors.... and yes folks, Florio doesn't fabricate these rumors... someone else starts them and those someone elses are agents, coaches, organizations or the players themselves... and ALL have their reasons for doing so whether the rumors are true or not.

One has to read between the lines of the lines and figure out what anyone's motivation is... angrilly writing off a rumor that isn't immediately borne out as false misses the point completely.

Last edited:

FYI ... that beat STILL goes on.
Little while ago, this went up:

MOSS RUMORS DON'T DIE

We are hearing more -- not less -- of those rumors that the Patriots might pull the plug prematurely on the Randy Moss experiment.

The talk is intensifying in the media, and among league insiders.

This really ticks me off.

I'm 100% sure the rumors Guregian is talking about are the one's PFT started.

Also, the mention of those ever elusive and very cryptic "inside sources" to me is garbage.

Moss is "quietly *****ing"? Well apparently not too quietly, since these peripherally connected "sources" are picking up on it.

Misinformation by the Pats themselves? I doubt it.

A feeble attempt by media types and the NFL cronies they've attached themselves to, in order to force the Pats to reveal a little more on Moss's actual situation? Possibly.

PFT's attempt to get a reaction from idiots like me? Absolutely.

The rumors are troubling regardless. All we really have with Moss so far is a couple of highlight photos of a throw around. I'm starting to worry this hamstring is going to turn into some kind of Joe Horn type deal where it nags him all season.

My greatest hope for Moss is he has been studying the playbook strongly and has been a good influence to the other Wr's behind the scene. Wish I was a fly on the wall for the behind the scenes of the Moss situation because right now I really don't know what to think. But I know I'm not going to bite on some reporter's blog who may be misinformed.

Tomase is probably calling them on the hour, every hour. That's their intensifying rumor.

Felger, maybe. Tomase, no. But by all means, continue with your baseless grudge.

The rumors are troubling regardless. All we really have with Moss so far is a couple of highlight photos of a throw around. I'm starting to worry this hamstring is going to turn into some kind of Joe Horn type deal where it nags him all season.

My greatest hope for Moss is he has been studying the playbook strongly and has been a good influence to the other Wr's behind the scene. Wish I was a fly on the wall for the behind the scenes of the Moss situation because right now I really don't know what to think. But I know I'm not going to bite on some reporter's blog who may be misinformed.

Think of it this way. I'm sure Mangini and Revis and whoever the Hell else they're going to throw out there on September 9th - PLEASE SAY JUSTIN MILLER - are more preoccupied with it than even we are.

Yep, what we have is a fertile field (info we do have - hey, where's our new toy!?!?!? Hey, is he dogging it ?!?!?! Uneasiness on the part of fans in other words.)

We also have the Johnny Appleseeds of rumors, doing what they do. Drop the seed. See if it grows. Another media maven picks it up and quotes it. PFT can quote whoever quoted them. Yadda Yadda Yadda.

What kills me is the idea that we have to write something off as false, when it's floated without any supporting evidence.

Then we get to discuss who "sources" are, when they're not named.

No, no, no. "Sources in one team's personnel office" would even be better. What we hear are "sources say" and "rumours are intensifying."

Rumors are intensifying that I just impregnated Gisele Bundchen.

They are. Nobody was saying it, and then I said it. Now rumors are intensifying.

I just impregnated Gisele Bundchen.

There, now the rumors are getting more, rather than less, widespread.

Christ on a crutch, what are we, children?

My problem is, this ain't reporting. We can keep discussing it, because being Pats fans, we need something to worry about, and we were already worried not seeing Randy on the field.

But this one strikes me very much as "don't believe everything you read."

PFnV

PS -- I wouldn't weep over a trade, except when playing Madden. It is REALLY fun to just wing the ball Randy's way and watch him defy physics.

This really ticks me off.

I'm 100% sure the rumors Guregian is talking about are the one's PFT started.

Also, the mention of those ever elusive and very cryptic "inside sources" to me is garbage.

Moss is "quietly *****ing"? Well apparently not too quietly, since these peripherally connected "sources" are picking up on it.

Misinformation by the Pats themselves? I doubt it.

A feeble attempt by media types and the NFL cronies they've attached themselves to, in order to force the Pats to reveal a little more on Moss's actual situation? Possibly.

PFT's attempt to get a reaction from idiots like me? Absolutely.

Or maybe there is actually some truth to the rumors. Why do you think there is some kind of media conspiracy? It could be misinformation from the Pats or someone making mountains out of molehills, but this rumor started on Thursday according to Tomase and PFT didn't report it until Saturday. PFT claims the rumors are intesifying. It could be Belichick capitalizing on an existing rumor to throw Mangini off base, or Moss could eventually be cut.

Exactly, a lot of these breathless Frantics are turning their anxiety into some bizarre anger/virtiol directed at Tomase and PFT. It's ridiculous. Lighten up, Francis(es).

Come on! Why do you think the media are trying to intesify this rumor? I think you may be trying to rationalize your fear that these rumors are true and Moss may be cut by creating this Boston Herald conspiracy to create this negative story of Moss being a malcontent.

"Tomase is probably calling them on the hour, every hour. That's their intensifying rumor."

Yes, it's THIS kind of comment that, for me anyway, makes me COMPLETELY disregard any argument being made by whoever made it. It's mind-bogglingly ludicrous and nothing else can be taken seriously.

No, of course not. You are accusing PFT of making stuff up. But I have been reading the site for quite a while, and I don't believe that that is true.

Apparently a lot of people agree with me.

There have been enough good predictions and advance information that it looks like many of their sources are accurate. PFT is usually very good about indicating what is Florio's opinion and what his sources are saying, and the degree to which he trusts a source. And with the Vick story and the "TurdWatch" feature they have been highly on the mark and in some cases are the only place you will get the story.

I am indeed accusing PFT of making stuff up.

Not necessarily this time, but I'd bet they have if you gave me even odds.

In fact I've heard rumblings that they do that during slow periods.:)

Last edited:

"Tomase is probably calling them on the hour, every hour. That's their intensifying rumor."

Yes, it's THIS kind of comment that, for me anyway, makes me COMPLETELY disregard any argument being made by whoever made it. It's mind-bogglingly ludicrous and nothing else can be taken seriously.
I guess I'll have to put smileys up just for you, I think it was fairly obvious I was kidding.

:rolleyes:

Or maybe there is actually some truth to the rumors. Why do you think there is some kind of media conspiracy? It could be misinformation from the Pats or someone making mountains out of molehills, but this rumor started on Thursday according to Tomase and PFT didn't report it until Saturday. PFT claims the rumors are intesifying. It could be Belichick capitalizing on an existing rumor to throw Mangini off base, or Moss could eventually be cut.

Unlike most sports franchises, the Pats are an extremely tight lipped operation as we all well know. We also know that this really upsets many media types as that lack of accessibility cuts into their bread and butter...hardcore insider information.

So if you're the media, ho do you counteract this?

You throw a bunch of junk against the wall and hope something sticks or hope it draws somekind of reaction from the team.

Totally plausible.

Last edited:

Last week the rumor was that Chad Jackson would be cut; he wasn't. Then Kelly Washington would be cut; he wasn't. Then Kelley Washignton would be traded; he wasn't. Then Caldwell would be cut; he wasn't. Then Moss would be cut; he wasn't. Then there would be a surprise cut; there wasn't. Now Moss will be traded. Whoop-de-damn-do.

I guess I'll have to put smileys up just for you, I think it was fairly obvious I was kidding.

:rolleyes:

Hi. I'm an ass. Sorry about that! It's early here! (L.A.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back