PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Friendly reminder: Tyrone McKenzie

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, we had a top or at least a high-level returner. Belichick's plans to replace him included an injured player who might be able to contribute by midseason and another rookie who returned some in college. Please, Belichick can do much better than that! Belichick made a snap decision on Hobbs during the draft and most of us have all lived to regret that decision.

IIRC, Butler also returned in college.

It's not like the Pats didn't have plans to replace Hobbs. They just didn't work out.

So, we had a top or at least a high-level returner. Belichick's plans to replace him included an injured player who might be able to contribute by midseason and another rookie who returned some in college. Please, Belichick can do much better than that! Belichick made a snap decision on Hobbs during the draft and most of us have all lived to regret that decision.

It's kick returner. Give me a break. Picking up the NCAA career leader in kickoff returner is more effort than I would want from a GM at the KR position. I would prefer he focus on positions that actually matter.

The Pats average three yards less per kick return without Hobbs than with him, and four yards less per return than the team with the best kick return average in the league. Three yards. Yes, we're really "living to regret" losing Hobbs. You don't make any sense.

Last edited:
At this point, we know that Mayo, Guyton, Banta-Cain, McKenzie, and Ninkovich will be part of the mix at linebacker for next season. Beyond that, there's a lot of doubt.

On the outside, you have one starter in Banta-Cain, who can rush the passer at a high level and has improved against the run. The Pats still need another guy on the outside, a bigger body like Vrabel who can defend against the run and also provide some pass rush. Thomas theoretically would fit that mould perfectly, which is why he's here in the first place, but he will not be part of the picture next season. Look for the Pats to address this need EARLY in the draft. Ninkovich is only a special teamer and reserve. Crable can't be counted on as anything more than a 4th OLB; you still need guys to replace Burgess, Thomas, and Woods (if he leaves) as part of the rotation. Drafting a Woodley-type would be huge. (Graham?)

On the inside, you have a good mix of young players in Mayo, Guyton, and McKenzie. However, I think the Pats would still like to rotate one more guy in there. Larry Foote will be a free agent and seems like a possibility; he has experience playing in Pittsburgh's 3-4.

honestly i have begun to think recently that it is likley we will see burgess back here next year. I don't know why i am thinking this its just a vibe i am getting with his playing time his progression recently and also how BB has spoken about him ( i know he speaks about everyone well) but just a bit of a hunch

honestly i have begun to think recently that it is likley we will see burgess back here next year. I don't know why i am thinking this its just a vibe i am getting with his playing time his progression recently and also how BB has spoken about him ( i know he speaks about everyone well) but just a bit of a hunch

He barely has a role on this team right now. Tell me how he will have a role on a team that is almost guaranteed to bring in a quality rusher either through the draft, a trade, or free agency. Unless you think he can be a productive #3 OLB, and given his production in 2009 (or lack thereof), he's a useless player. It's not like he does anything on special teams. He just comes in on a fraction of passing situations and bull rushes a RT to no avail. I've watched the tape, he doesn't do much.

I understand that some don't think that 3 or 4 yards on every possession makes little difference. I could think of times when those yards were important.

It's kick returner. Give me a break. Picking up the NCAA career leader in kickoff returner is more effort than I would want from a GM at the KR position. I would prefer he focus on positions that actually matter.

The Pats average three yards less per kick return without Hobbs than with him, and four yards less per return than the team with the best kick return average in the league. Three yards. Yes, we're really "living to regret" losing Hobbs. You don't make any sense.

I understand that some don't think that 3 or 4 yards on every possession makes little difference. I could think of times when those yards were important.

Indeed. If field position didn't matter, they could just fair catch every kickoff inside the field of play.

Actually, you can tear up one knee by compensating for the other. I've seen it happen on numerous occasions.
People you look at must be the most injury prone people in the known universe. Most of us go our entire lives and never see anyone tear up a knee, let alone see numberous folks tear up one knee by over-compensating for the other knee.

That damn Belichick! I wish he'd stop making snap decisions and put some thought into what he is doing.

Last edited:
People you look at must be the most injury prone people in the known universe. Most of us go our entire lives and never see anyone tear up a knee, let alone see numberous folks tear up one knee by over-compensating for the other knee.

I played sports all my life prior to an injury putting an end to that. I've seen most types of sports injuries multiple times. It comes with the territory.

He barely has a role on this team right now. Tell me how he will have a role on a team that is almost guaranteed to bring in a quality rusher either through the draft, a trade, or free agency. Unless you think he can be a productive #3 OLB, and given his production in 2009 (or lack thereof), he's a useless player. It's not like he does anything on special teams. He just comes in on a fraction of passing situations and bull rushes a RT to no avail. I've watched the tape, he doesn't do much.

Wow. Did Burgess steal the prize from your Cracker Jacks? I saw Burgess in the game far more than a fraction of passing situations. I noticed him getting in Garrard's face a couple of times. While I didn't focus on Burgess, I think I would have noticed the "bull rushes a RT to no avail" situation...commonly known as "The Vrabel" circa 2008.

Burgess - He is the smallest of our LB .He looks tiny next to guyton and mayo.He and banta can rush over TE and RB but tackles they struggle.
Actually, he's bigger than both Guyton and Mayo. He played defensive end his whole career, don't forget, and I think he's really starting to catch on.

Banta - He needs mismatch to get sacks.If you want him to rush everydown against a decent tackle he is shutdown.This year he has 5 sacks against bills who have their tackle on IR.He is just not big to bring the heat against bigger tackles.
I disagree. He has brought heat against tackles, and of course he takes advantage of any mismatches. Solid overall pass rusher.

Mayo - ILB Weak Side - Forced to play SILB.
I'd agree he is a bit of a more natural WILB, but he's added weight and is doing fine as a SILB.

SILB - Big need . a slow big thumper. Lower picks 2 as we are looking for size and not speed he will be a low pick,
Maybe for situations, but the way offenses are now, that Ted Johnson type isn't really needed. I think McKenzie will be able to play some SILB.

Woods - I think we need to sign him as he better against the run and gives decent pass rush which you need on the wolb. woodley type 6-8 sack guy who is responsible for edge setting and cover RB on the flat.
How is Pierre Woods a 6-8 sack guy? Where did you get that? He has shown minimal ability rushing the passer and has one career sack.

Clay Matthews, Rey Maualuga and SeaBass would have solved everything....

Damn it BB............Someone throw me a towel so I can clean up this spilled milk.

So an under-sized one gap 3-4 OLB, and a stiff slow low IQ 4-3 OLB would have solved everything?

Crikey.

Football is played in three phases and field position is critical. A real burner KR who is also a capable 5th receiver who can operate over the middle out the slot or backfield would be great for this team. I hate seeing Wes Welker and Kevin Faulk return punts.

A position I think they need to fill is FB - a big two-yards-when-you-need-it-against-the-Colts sorta guy who is a terrfic blocking back. The winning SB teams had that and this team doesn't.

Wow. Did Burgess steal the prize from your Cracker Jacks? I saw Burgess in the game far more than a fraction of passing situations. I noticed him getting in Garrard's face a couple of times. While I didn't focus on Burgess, I think I would have noticed the "bull rushes a RT to no avail" situation...commonly known as "The Vrabel" circa 2008.

I'm talking about over the course of the whole season. Getting pressure in limited time in one game doesn't mean much. How about the three games before that - Miami, Carolina, Buffalo? How much pressure did he get then?

That's why Vrabel isn't on this team.

Last edited:
Football is played in three phases and field position is critical. A real burner KR who is also a capable 5th receiver who can operate over the middle out the slot or backfield would be great for this team. I hate seeing Wes Welker and Kevin Faulk return punts.

A position I think they need to fill is FB - a big two-yards-when-you-need-it-against-the-Colts sorta guy who is a terrfic blocking back. The winning SB teams had that and this team doesn't.

Right, and three yards isn't going to kill you.

So an under-sized one gap 3-4 OLB, and a stiff slow low IQ 4-3 OLB would have solved everything?

Crikey.

I take it you haven't been watching football this year have you mate ?

Last edited:
I'm talking about over the course of the whole season. Getting pressure in limited time in one game doesn't mean much. How about the three games before that - Miami, Carolina, Buffalo? How much pressure did he get then?

That's why Vrabel isn't on this team.

Just as a FWIW, Vrabel managed 4 sacks, 11 hits and 18 pressures last year - this year Burgess has 5 sacks, 4 hits and 22 pressures, including a sack against the Bills and the Panthers, 4 pressures against the Bills and 2 pressures against the Panthers. Against the Fins he managed just one pressure.

I take it you haven't been watching football this year have you mate ?

I've seen plenty, hence my post.

As I said, an under-sized one gap 3-4 OLB and a slow, stiff 4-3 OLB (Maualuga's been playing Sam for the Bengals) would have solved everything?

Crazy post.

Bring back Bethel Johnson:p

Seriusly, we need a ggood returner . Hobbs makes good returns in playoffs and keyplays in the perfect season, seems easy to say, but its way different start in your 20 that in your 35 usually. Not counting the big plays /returning TD

Bring back Bethel Johnson:p

Seriusly, we need a ggood returner . Hobbs makes good returns in playoffs and keyplays in the perfect season, seems easy to say, but its way different start in your 20 that in your 35 usually. Not counting the big plays /returning TD

I'm pretty sure improving the KR is a high-priority for BB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back