PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Friendly reminder: Tyrone McKenzie

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are who we are, #31 on retrurns. Our hope is a player who is returning from a major injury, has little experience and looked just OK when he played this year. Perhaps return skills will be an important factor is judging potential offseason acquisitions.

And was it really worth it to give up on of the league's best returners for a 4th round draft choice?

Last edited:
We are who we are, #31 on retrurns. Our hope is a player who is returning from a major injury, has little experience and looked just OK when he played this year. Perhaps return skills will be an important factor is judging potential offseason acquisitions.

And was it really worth it to give up on of the league's best returners for a 4th round draft choice?

Sure, just throw that baited hook into the water......

Hobbs is gone. Seymour is gone. Get over it, bud.

Nothing much going on here, just wanted to remind everyone of this guy named Tyrone McKenzie who will be around in the spring. Not a name that has been heard too often since this past May, so I figured I would get PatsFans reacquainted.

52942ad965_McKenzie_09112009.jpg
4876160.jpg

Maybe I have the post Christmas Scrooge syndrome but my first reaction, is good grief not another thread about how great the Patriots future is because of the future impact of injured draft picks.

I hope McKenzie and Tate can contribute but if they do anything more than play special teams they have exceeded expectations. Draft picks are highly overrated, in most cases it is 50/50 the player ever plays in the NFL.

Sincerely,

Ebenezer

The thing with AD is that we've used him exclusively as an ILB the first two years.
Uh, no. Not even close. AD was exclusively an ILB for several weeks in 2007. After Colvin was placed on IR, Thomas moved to outside linebacker permanently. He gets occasional snaps inside, but since the middle of 2007 he has been a starter at outside linebacker.

2007 : Vrabel | Bruschi | Thomas | Colvin ;

Colvin on IR : Vrabel | Bruschi | Seau | Thomas

2008 : Vrabel | Bruschi | Mayo | Thomas/Woods

2009 : Banta-Cain | Mayo | Guyton | Thomas/Burgess

I'm over it. Belichick brought the kicking game from #5 to #31 by trading our kick returner for a 4th rounder, with no replacement on the squad except for an injured rookie. It is what it is. Belichick thought Ohrnberger was worth more.

We had a significant hole on our roster for 2009 that could have been filled by a player that we already had on the squad. We had no 2009 replacement. We go into the 2010 offseason with the same hole in the roster, unless we will once again hope that an injured player with no experience will somehow be a top kick returner to start the 2010 season.

Last edited:

I'm reasonably sure that talking about past moves and noting the positives/negatives of those moves, are part of what this message board is for. Discussions of Hobbs and Seymour are obviously relevant, because they could have been a part of the team this season, and their absence has had an impact.

Last edited:
I'm reasonably sure that talking about past moves and noting the positives/negatives of those moves, are part of what this message board is for. Discussions of Hobbs and Seymour are obviously relevant, because they could have been a part of the team this season, and their absence has had an impact.

It's not that, it's...

:spygate:

Poisoning the Koolaid would also appear to be part of what this board is for.

It's not that, it's...

:spygate:

Other than breaking news and some parts of game threads, what isn't?

What about the seemingly 50,000 anti-Maroney threads, or the "Vollmer has played about 6 snaps and he's the bestest ever!" threads, etc...?

There's only so much to talk about when you're dealing with a 24 hour media platform and a team that doesn't give out information very freely.

It's a downside to making the 'main' board pretty much exclusively NEP football threads.

Hobbs was traded for two fifths, wasn't he? Were those two picks then packaged into the 4th rounder that got us Ohrnberger? Hard to keep track of this stuff sometimes...

But yeah, either way, that was a bad trade. I feel okay saying that since I hated it at the time, too, so it's not at all a hindsight issue...

I'm over it. Belichick brought the kicking game from #5 to #31 by trading our kick returner for a 4th rounder, with no replacement on the squad except for an injured rookie. It is what it is. Belichick thought Ohrnberger was worth more.

We had a significant hole on our roster for 2009 that could have been filled by a player that we already had on the squad. We had no 2009 replacement. We go into the 2010 offseason with the same hole in the roster, unless we will once again hope that an injured player with no experience will somehow be a top kick returner to start the 2010 season.

Before he was injured, Hobbs was hardly an elite kickoff returner for the Eagles this year at 24.1 yards/return. Kevin Faulk is averaging 24.0. Admittedly, Maroney has been awful returning kickoffs.

Other than breaking news and some parts of game threads, what isn't?

What about the seemingly 50,000 anti-Maroney threads, or the "Vollmer has played about 6 snaps and he's the bestest ever!" threads, etc...?

There's only so much to talk about when you're dealing with a 24 hour media platform and a team that doesn't give out information very freely.

It's a downside to making the 'main' board pretty much exclusively NEP football threads.

I do not participate in such activity.

Unless it's the time of the month to bash the Pats for drafting Chad Jackson.

Before he was injured, Hobbs was hardly an elite kickoff returner for the Eagles this year at 24.1 yards/return. Kevin Faulk is averaging 24.0. Admittedly, Maroney has been awful returning kickoffs.

Wouldn't really surprise me. if maroney has had trouble in the recent-past seeing the small hole in the line how is he going to find it in 21 people running through 30 or so yards of field immediately after snaggin the kick? Wes is a genius at movin in space or crowded space for that matter... and it wouldnt surprise me to see him grabbin punts in the post season. I deffinately wouldnt want to see that in the reg season, he takes enough shots as it is. But he would be the best on the team at moving in the open field if you ask me. he takes a big shot and i swear every time he gets the ball after said shot he busts a decent/big play. In any case, we've all seen him returning kicks before, and while he doesnt hit the home-run, he seems to get whats there. wouldn't be surprised if he was asked to step it up a notch higher than his pro-bowl worthy performance already for the playoffs.

I really want us to work Wheatley into the rotation at some point, watching him last year his brain was behind his body, in the sense that he had the right footwork, the right movement in terms of anticipating, but then his brain would stop him from making the cut or making the turn for a split second, and the receiver was gone. Think Jackson's early TD in the Chargers game.

He has amazing physical skills, and he needs playing time to get his brain up to speed with his body.

I still consider both he and Butler to have the skills necessary to be the best cover corners on the roster, with the potential to be full-time starters.

It remains a mystery as to why Wheatley doesn't receive more reps as part of the sub-package rotation. Active in only 5 games, with two as a reserve CB, and the other three on ST units. Assuming he's healthy now, he needs to see more action if he's going to develop as a CB.

Tate was the ALL-TIME career leader in Kickoff return yards (3,523). You never know, he could become the next josh cribbs.

Tate was the ALL-TIME career leader in Kickoff return yards (3,523). You never know, he could become the next josh cribbs.

IIRC, Butler also returned in college.

It's not like the Pats didn't have plans to replace Hobbs. They just didn't work out.

Clay Matthews, Rey Maualuga and SeaBass would have solved everything....

Damn it BB............Someone throw me a towel so I can clean up this spilled milk.

Last edited:
Don't forget Shawn "not able" Crable

Has any player in NFL History started on IR 3 consecutive seasons beginning from his rookie year?

From the looks of things Crable could be one of those guys made of thin glass.

IR spells CUT if it happens again

the fact that they didn't cut him shows that BB sees something in him. He had no problems cutting our other 3rd round pick O'Connell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back