PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Friendly reminder: Tyrone McKenzie

Status
Not open for further replies.
So an under-sized one gap 3-4 OLB, and a stiff slow low IQ 4-3 OLB would have solved everything?

Crikey.

No offense, but you sounds like a Patriot apologist. Matthews is playing as an OLB in a 3-4 and has proven he has upside as a pass rusher (know any teams that could use young talent at OLB?). Megs stepped right in and became an NFL starter as a rookie, since when do we need MIT students at ILB? The kid can play football.

Of the two OLB was a much bigger need but to me a Mayo / Megs / Matthews combo (along with TBC or some other veteran) looks pretty good.

The NCAA career leader in return yardage is on this team.

God I hope Tate makes it back! But with an 2nd knee injury I'm just not counting on him. :(

Darius Butler also has return experience from UConn.

Yep and hes got a couple or so returns this year. I'm certain that he'll get a shot next year at the gig.

Actually, he's bigger than both Guyton and Mayo. He played defensive end his whole career, don't forget, and I think he's really starting to catch on..

I am telling you on what i see . This is a eye test only.When he is next to sanders he is taller and thin.Ofcourse guys carry their weight different but he makes james sanders look jacked up. Then one day Zolak on TV said that burgess problem is he looks like he is 220 LB and its a problem when he is not in space.
I disagree. He has brought heat against tackles, and of course he takes advantage of any mismatches. Solid overall pass rusher.

I have to disagree he is 260 LB and the problem is he is not big enough to bull rush any tackle.he is a speed guy which is not bad and he can even more effective as usually RT are less atheletic and you send him from the other side.All i am saying is we need a bigger stocker OLB to rush from the left tackle and left gaurd as usually they are the bigger atheletic OL players.

How is Pierre Woods a 6-8 sack guy? Where did you get that? He has shown minimal ability rushing the passer and has one career sack.

Not saying he is but a guy playing on that side gives you 5-6 sacks as he is matched up to a TE or less atheletic RT as you major edge rusher on the other side is creating issues. banta will be even more effective here and him and woods can be perfect.

Not saying he is but a guy playing on that side gives you 5-6 sacks as he is matched up to a TE or less atheletic RT as you major edge rusher on the other side is creating issues. banta will be even more effective here and him and woods can be perfect.

Huh? If Pierre Woods is starting at OLB for the Pats in 2010, they will have MAJOR problems. As far as him starting AT ALL, that ship has sailed.

In four seasons, including eight starts, Woods has ONE sack. I don't know what the hell you're seeing that makes you think Woods can all of the sudden give you 5-6 sacks. He's not a pass-rushing OLB, and anybody who has watched this team over the past four seasons can tell you that.

Last edited:
No offense, but you sounds like a Patriot apologist. Matthews is playing as an OLB in a 3-4 and has proven he has upside as a pass rusher (know any teams that could use young talent at OLB?). Megs stepped right in and became an NFL starter as a rookie, since when do we need MIT students at ILB? The kid can play football.

The point is, the GB 3-4 is different to our 3-4, and besides everything, we've played mostly 4-3/4-2-5 this year. And we're still a 2 gap team no matter the formation. Unless you have a crystal ball, no-one can accurately predict what effect his presence would add.

As for Maualuga, I was a big fan of his in College, but as his final year wore on and teams began running right at him and throwing in his area, his deficiencies began showing up, and he showed off his lack of physical and mental attributes at the Combine. MIT student you don't need to be, but having more intelligence than a Coke machine would be nice. And he's started because the Bengals had no-one at SLB. No-one. And even then he's lost reps to Brandon Johnson because he's awful in coverage (as too is Johnson).

Of the two OLB was a much bigger need but to me a Mayo / Megs / Matthews combo (along with TBC or some other veteran) looks pretty good.

If I'm taking any of the USC boys it's Cushing, because he's shown he can plug the run, rush the passer and drop into coverage.

But what are these huge problems we've got? Last time I looked we were 10-5, not 5-10, we had the number 4 scoring defense in the entire league, and were ranked 7th against the pass and 11th against the rush. Have we got problems? Definitely, rushing the passer being the biggest one, but as far as I can see the biggest problem this team has had when it comes to losing games is actually scoring enough points in the first place.

Last edited:
But what are these huge problems we've got? Last time I looked we were 10-5, not 5-10, we had the number 4 scoring defense in the entire league, and were ranked 7th against the pass and 11th against the rush. Have we got problems? Definitely, rushing the passer being the biggest one, but as far as I can see the biggest problem this team has had when it comes to losing games is actually scoring enough points in the first place.

I agree that there's no "huge problems" with the defense (other than the fact it's a young unit that has gone through growing pains). The pass rush does need to be upgraded/re-tooled though, and I think the Pats will focus on that in the offseason.

On offense, picking up another receiver, maybe another RB, and settling the OL situation will go a long way to scoring more points. Basically, Edelman and Aiken are locked in as the #4 and #5 WRs. They are missing that #3 option - only if they had re-signed Gaffney instead of Galloway...

Last edited:
Huh? If Pierre Woods is starting at OLB for the Pats in 2010, they will have MAJOR problems. As far as him starting AT ALL, that ship has sailed.

In four seasons, including eight starts, Woods has ONE sack. I don't know what the hell you're seeing that makes you think Woods can all of the sudden give you 5-6 sacks. He's not a pass-rushing OLB, and anybody who has watched this team over the past four seasons can tell you that.

I tend to agree with you but FWIW, Vrabel after 4 full ( and healthy ) NFL seasons had exactly zero sacks.

I tend to agree with you but FWIW, Vrabel after 4 full ( and healthy ) NFL seasons had exactly zero sacks.

From 1997 to 2000, Vrabes had 7 sacks.

The point is, the GB 3-4 is different to our 3-4, and besides everything, we've played mostly 4-3/4-2-5 this year. And we're still a 2 gap team no matter the formation. Unless you have a crystal ball, no-one can accurately predict what effect his presence would add.

As for Maualuga, I was a big fan of his in College, but as his final year wore on and teams began running right at him and throwing in his area, his deficiencies began showing up, and he showed off his lack of physical and mental attributes at the Combine. MIT student you don't need to be, but having more intelligence than a Coke machine would be nice. And he's started because the Bengals had no-one at SLB. No-one. And even then he's lost reps to Brandon Johnson because he's awful in coverage (as too is Johnson).

If I'm taking any of the USC boys it's Cushing, because he's shown he can plug the run, rush the passer and drop into coverage.

Give me the dumb Coke Machine Rey-Rey/James Laurinaitus (either or) WITH Clay Matthews ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. Any combination of 2 of these 3 players would have made our front 7 fantastic. BB passed on this last April.
It was a mistake ! Even the homers can't justify this. Ron Brace and Patrick Chung were the replacements for "what could have been". It was a poor draft day decision and it's on BB.

Darius Butler also has return experience from UConn.

Butler is a solid cover DB who has shown he can move around in the defensive backfield depending on down and distance. Like Welker and Faulk, having him return kicks works but exposes him to injury. I forgot about Tate, though. Too bad about his knee injury.

Butler is a solid cover DB who has shown he can move around in the defensive backfield depending on down and distance. Like Welker and Faulk, having him return kicks works but exposes him to injury. I forgot about Tate, though. Too bad about his knee injury.

Tate played for your NCAA team, no?

Give me the dumb Coke Machine Rey-Rey/James Laurinaitus (either or) WITH Clay Matthews ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. Any combination of 2 of these 3 players would have made our front 7 fantastic. BB passed on this last April.
It was a mistake ! Even the homers can't justify this. Ron Brace and Patrick Chung were the replacements for "what could have been". It was a poor draft day decision and it's on BB.

Way too early to call the 2009 draft a mistake. These guys are 23 years old and learning how to play pro football, live on their own, have money, all that. This defense is very complex and is in a major transition. No way you can judge these picks for a couple of years. Chung looks like he's gonna be solid and Brace is too hard to read until he gets enough snaps in a rotation that is predictable for him.

As for the LBs, BB already had very young LBs to transition into leadership roles. The problems at LB are not problems at all - noboby's RB had a career day against these guys all year.

I really like the way this defense is being built on the fly - wins a division title, 2nd fewest points in the NFL through 16 weeks and plays really hard. If the offense gets a couple of first downs the Pats beat the Colts and it was the D that kept the Pats in the Jets game they lost.

Tate played for your NCAA team, no?

Hi Triumph. Yeah, Brandon Tate was outstanding as an underclassman at UNC. He tore up both MCL and ACL and basically missed his senior year. He's been such a non-factor that at this point in the season, it's like he wasn't even drafted.

Following Carolina football is a challenge. The Heels are decent every third year or so but have a hard time recruiting top flight talent at more than two or three positions at a time. College football is so much about recruiting 12 to 15 elite players every year that it is tough for programs to shift from second rate to top tier programs for any length of time. We like where the Heels are going, though. Speed everywhere and a vertical game. No QB, though.

Sigh. It would have been nice to see Hakeem Nicks on the other side of the field from Randy Moss for the Pats this year.

McKenzie: remember, he's simply a rook. How many rookies contribute substantially?
The Crab: looked good in the store window; likely prognosis is injured in camp again, departing here on an injury settlement
Burgess: too old and not enough of a get it done on the field guy for the money
Woods: great ST guy, marginal OLB backup; we've seen his upside...insufficient. Goodbye!
Ninkovich: warm body substandard backup. Kept for 'value'

We really need help restaffing the LB position in 2010

I agree with this statement 100%

I agree that there's no "huge problems" with the defense (other than the fact it's a young unit that has gone through growing pains). The pass rush does need to be upgraded/re-tooled though, and I think the Pats will focus on that in the offseason.

On offense, picking up another receiver, maybe another RB, and settling the OL situation will go a long way to scoring more points. Basically, Edelman and Aiken are locked in as the #4 and #5 WRs. They are missing that #3 option - only if they had re-signed Gaffney instead of Galloway...

Agree with everything except signing Gaffney. He actually got a fairly big contract for what he can do.

Maybe the guy that BB cut and went to Vikings would have panned out better? Greg something.

Agree with everything except signing Gaffney. He actually got a fairly big contract for what he can do.

Maybe the guy that BB cut and went to Vikings would have panned out better? Greg something.

Lewis has a whopping 8 catches for the Vikings, which is a team with 6 players having 40+ catches and clearly willing to spread the ball around. Let's hold off on his appointment as the missing savior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes